• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in Pakistan

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
:) Fraz was after me regarding the test series earlier and now you. Chill dude.
Someone is upset?
Pratyush said:
One thing which has to be taken into account is how unpredictable the two teams are - both Pakistan and West Indies. Pakistan was ahead in England in the one day series but then performed pretty poorly. Windies collapses are familiar to us as well. So any thing can happen but I am thinking that given home conditions and given Pakistan is a good one day side as well, they might over power Windies 4-1.
My point is that the West Indies have a far greater chance of winning more than 1 ODI than they do of winning a Test match. The West Indies have not won a relevant Test abroad since 2000 IIRC.
Pratyush said:
In tests, Pakistan has been poor right through their history at home and some how they lose at home when no one expects them to. In the 90s, Windies went to Pakistan and actually won a series as well (if I remember correctly). So you never know. Windies may end up winning a test in Pakistan and the series ending 1-1.
The West Indies that last beat Pakistan in Pakistan is a far cry from this West Indies team, so that's really inconsequential.
Pratyush said:
Any thing can happen though and so don't feel I am saying Windies is as good a test side as Pakistan or Windies is so much crapper than Pakistan one day cricket wise there..
The thing is that 4-1 is a very skewed margin considering that you're saying that "anything can happen".

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Someone is upset?
Not upset. Reading too much into the predictions.

My point is that the West Indies have a far greater chance of winning more than 1 ODI than they do of winning a Test match. The West Indies have not won a relevant Test abroad since 2000 IIRC.
But I didn't predict on far greater chance. You predict what you think may happen more than any thing.

The West Indies that last beat Pakistan in Pakistan is a far cry from this West Indies team, so that's really inconsequential.
And yet, they won. Reiterates my point that any thing can happen and so this is possible as well.

The thing is that 4-1 is a very skewed margin considering that you're saying that "anything can happen".
Well, no one would have predicted England to win the Ashes and yet they did.

I don't see any need to make a huge deal of predictions really. I repeat - it doesn't mean I am saying team x or y is stronger.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
In the 90s, Windies went to Pakistan and actually won a series as well (if I remember correctly). So you never know. Windies may end up winning a test in Pakistan and the series ending 1-1.
No, WI were whitewashed in the 3 test series. Far cry from winning.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Beleg said:
No, WI were whitewashed in the 3 test series. Far cry from winning.
I don't remeber correctly regarding this then.

The two teams remain unpredictable regardless though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
Not upset. Reading too much into the predictions.
You predicted that West Indies will win a Test and lose 4 of 5 ODIs. I responded directly to that prediction. How is that reading too much into it?
Pratyush said:
But I didn't predict on far greater chance. You predict what you think may happen more than any thing.
I just don't see any evidence to suggest that the West Indies have a chance of winning a Test match. That said, I'm sure your predictions are based on gut feelings more than anything else. Nothing wrong with that, mind.
Pratyush said:
And yet, they won. Reiterates my point that any thing can happen and so this is possible as well.
What? They won because they were a better team than this West Indies team. They went into the series with more realistic expectations to win. How does that reiterate your point in any way?
Pratyush said:
Well, no one would have predicted England to win the Ashes and yet they did.
Completely different. England showed exemplary form leading into the Ashes. The West Indies have not won a Test match this year and have not won a relevant overseas Test since in 6 years.
Pratyush said:
I don't see any need to make a huge deal of predictions really. I repeat - it doesn't mean I am saying team x or y is stronger.
I just find it a very odd prediction.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You predicted that West Indies will win a Test and lose 4 of 5 ODIs. I responded directly to that prediction. How is that reading too much into it?
Reading too much considering you remarking some thing like - Surely they've got a good chance of winning more than 1 ODI. for example. Of course they have a good chance. However, the chance of Pakistan winning 4-1 cannot be fully brushed aside. They were ahead in England for example and in one dayers you can have a 4-1.

I just don't see any evidence to suggest that the West Indies have a chance of winning a Test match. That said, I'm sure your predictions are based on gut feelings more than anything else. Nothing wrong with that, mind.
Well, despite their poor track record, they have a good bowling line up talented enough to take 20 wickets despite inexperience and defeating Pakistan in 1 test according to me. So it is not just gut feeling.

Completely different. England showed exemplary form leading into the Ashes. The West Indies have not won a Test match this year and have not won a relevant overseas Test since in 6 years.
Unpredictability exists in results. So immediate series results can be any thing. That was the point by bringing up the Ashes example.

I just find it a very odd prediction.
Okay.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
Reading too much considering you remarking some thing like - Surely they've got a good chance of winning more than 1 ODI. for example. Of course they have a good chance. However, the chance of Pakistan winning 4-1 cannot be fully brushed aside. They were ahead in England for example and in one dayers you can have a 4-1.
My saying "Surely they've got a good chance of winning more than 1 ODI." is a direct comment on your comment. The fact that you think it's anything more shows that you're the one reading too much into it all.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
My saying "Surely they've got a good chance of winning more than 1 ODI." is a direct comment on your comment. The fact that you think it's anything more shows that you're the one reading too much into it all.
Okay we both get what we mean so it is all cool.. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wonder what the odds are of Pratyush's prediction coming true now after this debate. It may be a Nostradamus-like one :-o

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
I wonder what the odds are of Pratyush's prediction coming true now after this debate. It may be a Nostradamus-like one :-o
A lot of it does have to do with gut feeling. So not much more than the predictions others made on this thread. :p

shortpitched713

International Captain
To be honest, I think theres a decent chance of a 5-0 whitewash for Pakistan as well, considering that they are on home soil.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think you're being a bit harsh on Devon Smith. They carried him to New Zealand and he didn't get a game. It's not like he's failed recently.
Well in Australia after he made 80 odd in the 1st innings @ the Gabba he looked poor for the remainder of the series, & if Akhtar is fit and bowls well he may sturggle. Don't know what his recent domestic form has been, but for now i'd say he doesn't look like the same Devon Smith vs England in 2004.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
Well in Australia after he made 80 odd in the 1st innings @ the Gabba he looked poor for the remainder of the series, & if Akhtar is fit and bowls well he may sturggle. Don't know what his recent domestic form has been, but for now i'd say he doesn't look like the same Devon Smith vs England in 2004.
You mean he didn't look like the same Devon Smith during that one series in Australia. True, he hasn't done much since that first Test in Australia, but he's also not had many chances.

Craig

World Traveller
Off topic Liam but whatever happened to Lincoln Robberts, David Jospeh, and Suruj Ragoonath?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Off topic Liam but whatever happened to Lincoln Robberts, David Jospeh, and Suruj Ragoonath?
They were substandard players and got sacked as such. Ragoonath in particular had no place playing Test cricket. Joseph has some spunk and Roberts was extremely talented. Ragoonath retired from domestic cricket soon after. Joseph played on for a few years then retired. Roberts was dropped from the T&T team a couple seasons back due to his tendency to post one massive score per season and do nothing else.

Craig

World Traveller
Are they still involved in cricket of some sort or did they pack up and move to the US or the UK to further their non-cricketing careers?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Roberts still plays club cricket in Trinidad, but hasn't come close to the national side in a long time. The selectors have gone the hard line and put up a "get it done or get out" policy. It's resulted in exceptional success for T&T over the last 2 seasons.

Ragoonath is an analyst on Trinidadian television. They hail him by the title "former West Indies Test player". He hardly deserves it.

Dave Joseph recently came out of retirment to play in the Stanford Twenty20 tournament. No clue what he's been up to otherwise.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Roberts still plays club cricket in Trinidad, but hasn't come close to the national side in a long time. The selectors have gone the hard line and put up a "get it done or get out" policy. It's resulted in exceptional success for T&T over the last 2 seasons.

Ragoonath is an analyst on Trinidadian television. They hail him by the title "former West Indies Test player". He hardly deserves it.

Dave Joseph recently came out of retirment to play in the Stanford Twenty20 tournament. No clue what he's been up to otherwise.
Oh right, I had been looking up their profiles on cricinfo and wonder what happened to them.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Oh right, I had been looking up their profiles on cricinfo and wonder what happened to them.
Lincoln Roberts' Test career:

Code:
	LA Roberts 	c Warne b McGrath 	0 	12 	7 	0 	0 	0.00