• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: Final Bowling Option for 1986 - 2005 XI

Who is your final bowling option for the 1986 - 2005 XI?

• Wasim Akram

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Waqar Younis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Malcolm Marshall

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Mutthiah Muralitharan

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
bagapath said:
so what if others do that? will you kill yourself if they die? you're mad or what? by the way, what gave you the idea that malcolm marshall was white and rating him above akram constitutes to subservience? you need to check your eyes man!!! and please, this is a very friendly advice, stop looking at skin color. you'll make more friends.
I neither said Marshall was white nor do I judge the quality of players by their skin colour.All I said was that Akram was better than Marshall & Hadlee.And if I was a racist,I would've never rated McGrath as a better faster than all the options of this poll.

haroon510

International 12th Man
BhupinderSingh said:
Akram was better than both them because:

1)He played for the most of his career on dead wickets while Marshall & Hadlee were greentop bullies.

2)Took more than 400 test wickets & is the only left hander in history to do it.

3)Akram's left handedness & ability to bowl 6 different delliveries in an over adds new dimensions & will surely trouble the batsmen more than right handed bowlers can do.

4)Was always under pressure due to in & out game that several PCB chairmen played with him throughout his career.

5)Was always more successful than both Hadlee & Marshall in critical situations.

If u really think that both Hadlee & Marshall were better than Wasim Akram,prove your point with arguments.
i agree with u he took more than 500 wicket in one day matches which is amazing if we consider his one day record. i do agree in every over every six delivery was different from one another.

Slifer

International Captain
Wasim better than Hadlee Marshall yeah right. And someone talked about Marshall and Hadlee being greentop bullies thats laughable. In terms of average ,strike rate, wickets per match and economy both Hadlee beat Akram pretty convincingly. As for green tops whoever said that should note that both bowlers have relatively superior records to Akram in both India and Pakistan. And imagine that HAdlee and Marshall accomplished all this without the luxury of having to play against the might Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh!!

No doubt Akram is one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time but for me he just misses out on that upper echelon of truly outstanding fast bowlers. I.E. Mcgrath, Marshall, Hadlee then Imran, Ambrose.

bagapath

International Captain
Slifer said:
Mcgrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Imran, Ambrose.
this is pretty much my top 5 too. akram would come next along with donald. they will be followed by walsh, waqar and pollock.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Well I finally found some time to sneak in a vote for Marshall, not that it was worth anything :(

Congratulations Baga, it looks like you got your two spinners and a pace bowling Allrounder :)

Slifer

International Captain
I Actually like the make up of the team but honestly I would have had Hadlee in for Mcgrath and I would have had Marshall or Akram (for variety) in for Ambrose. Still good work mates!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hadlee for me. Handy with the bat, and possibly the best seamer ever.
The Best 2 seamers IMO would be Hadlee and Marshall , but this Poll is not about the best... its about which countries (or call it Voting Block if you will of ) voters who pull votes on this forum .... and to whom and we all know which Block is powerful in its voting trend on this forum ... is there any doubt ... the Aussie Voting Block of course ..:mellow:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
JASON said:
The Best 2 seamers IMO would be Hadlee and Marshall , but this Poll is not about the best... its about which countries (or call it Voting Block if you will of ) voters who pull votes on this forum .... and to whom and we all know which Block is powerful in its voting trend on this forum ... is there any doubt ... the Aussie Voting Block of course ..:mellow:

If that were true, Muralitharan wouldn't have a clear lead. In fact, most aussies would rate Hadlee very high.

adharcric

International Coach
JASON said:
Uhh ... no.
Hadlee and Marshall may be among the best seamers of all-time and better than Ambrose and McGrath in that sense (Marshall > Ambrose/Mcgrath overall, perhaps Hadlee as well), but this poll is about the best in the period 1986-2006. Hadlee and Marshall are all-time greats but the longevity factor and number of wickets OVER THIS PERIOD gives it to Ambrose and McGrath. There definitely is a large Aussie voting block on here, but only a few of them are biased idiots.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
interestingly enough, Murali is the clear leader, but at the same time a clear majority of voters expressed a desire for a fourth seamer rather than a second spinner. Perhaps this vote should have a second round, between Murali and the most popular paceman listed - at this stage Hadlee.