Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unheralded Part of The Game: Fielding

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

Unheralded Part of The Game: Fielding

I was wondering what your rankings our for fielding between the top teams.

For me:

1)Aussies
    2)SouthAfrica
    3)India
    4)NewZealand
    5)England
    6)Srilanka
    7)WestIndies
    8)Pakistan
    Last edited by Turbinator; 02-10-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    I was wondering what your rankings our for fielding between the top teams.

For me:

1)Aussies
    2)SouthAfrica
    3)India
    4)NewZealand
    5)England
    6)Srilanka
    7)WestIndies
    8)Pakistan
    I could live with that list, but the Aussies suffer a little in Test cricket when they do not have Symonds. Also a lot of the Aussie state teams have a much higher fielding ranking then the national sides, because of the youth factor.

The WI side circa 1984 now there was a fielding side led by Mr Harper

It was widely believed at the time that this side would save a min. of 30 runs in the field every ODI match, plus with Lloyd in the slips and Garner in the Gully not much was missed off some great fast bowlers.
    You know it makes sense.

India a better fielding side than New Zealand. You are joking right?

The last time I saw India play was in the Videocon Tri-Series in Zimbabwe. They weren't too good at all.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James

The last time I saw India play was in the Videocon Tri-Series in Zimbabwe. They weren't too good at all.
    It's improved considerably. Though I don't know about below NZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    It wasn't all that bad in the DLF Cup, but better than NZ?? I doubt it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

India has the top-class individual fielders in place like Yuvraj, Raina, Kaif and even Dravid and Tendulkar, but as a unit I'd rate the Kiwis ahead of them right now. With Zaheer, Ganguly and Nehra out of the side, there isn't really a weak link besides Munaf perhaps. Pretty close.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James

Well yea as SS said they have improved alot! TBH I haven't seen much of NewZealand, however with the lack of cricket they are playing I doubt they are a better fielding side than India. But then again its how you look at it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    India probably have some better individual fielders but as a unit it would be New Zealand. Fleming and Astle are pretty sound in the slips and through the covers and point we have guys like Jacob Oram, Lou Vincent and Hamish Marshall. Plus Jamie How in the gully and Styris around 3rd slip, pretty handy fielding side.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

India isn't a better fielding side than NZ. We have people like Munaf, Sehwag who are pretty bad and Dravid who isn't that great in the field though he is usually a terrific slip fielder. We cannot yet be better than NZ.
    Member of the AAAS

School Boy/Girl Captain thedarkmullet's Avatar
    The Black Caps got that Yank in for fielding coaching last summer, he had a massive effect. I remeber all the flat return throws from the outfield and underarm flicks in close that were consistantly used in that West Indies ODI series. In particurlar the match where we restricted WI to 10 runs off the first 10 overs comes to mind...we still managed to lose the one mind you.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Good point darkmullet, I forgot that we hired the American guy to help us with our fielding. He was the same guy that worked with the Australian side a little while ago.

International Debutant
    While India's fielding has improved a lot in the inner circle, our throws from the outfield are still pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by viktor
    India isn't a better fielding side than NZ. We have people like Munaf, Sehwag who are pretty bad and Dravid who isn't that great in the field though he is usually a terrific slip fielder. We cannot yet be better than NZ.
    Don't see Sehwag drop too many in the slips though right?

Weak links in the field atm is only really Munaf. Not sure about RP Singh.

Yuvraj, Kaif, Raina and Sachin are awesome, Dravid is a top slips fielder and Ajit and Pathan are very very good in the outfield, particularly Pathan who is awesome.

NZ is probably better, but I've never seen India have a better fielding team than at the moment.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

RP Singh is quite a good fielder himself. Munaf has a poor reputation and does mess up once in a while, but he has pulled off some blinders lately.

Hmm, I think I can say this without too much bias: NZ's catchers are the best in the world. Australia have been spilling far more than they used to, South Africa were diabolical when we were over there a few months ago, Pakistan aren't too flash from what I saw on their recent England tour, England have been pretty woeful recently, WI, SL and India I haven't seen that much of recently but they're usually a bit shaky.

Our test catching lineup would go: Fleming at 1st slip, Styris at 2nd, Astle at 3rd, and How and Oram in the gully.

Fleming's been one of the best slippers for years, Styris is massively underrated as a slip fielder, I can not remember him dropping a catch EVER, Astle has shelled a few in the past but is still pretty reliable, How is simply exceptional in the gully and Oram is incredibly mobile for a guy who's about 8 foot 10.

Overall though, I don't think our fielding quite compares to Australia. Marshall and Vincent are both overrated fielders IMO, they're fast and hit the stumps fairly often but drop far more than their fair share of catches. Franklin's a pretty good fielder, Mills is OK I guess, Vettori, despite his appearance is actually a good fielder, Bond's got a safe pair of hands but isn't the quickest round the park and Patel doesn't look that great.
    He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

- Gareth Keenan from "The Office"

*****Winner***** of the 2006 FIFA World Cup predictions thread...see you in four years' time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information