• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are some countries better at somethings ?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
A few things about the physique aspect.

1. A fast bowler's physique doesnt have to be a very tall man. Most of the great fast bowlers have not been beenstalks. A decent height and a strong body with strong legs and most importantly powerful shoulders and upper torso are generally are very good physical attributes.

BUT these alone dont make a fast bowler out of you.
There are certainly different type of quicks.

There are the sprinter quicks which rely on athleticism and explosiveness. These bowlers do not have to be tall. As SJS mentioned, these are the bowlers that have to be strong on the chest, buttocks and shoulders. Examples include, Larwood, Tyson, Marshall, Shoaib, Fidel Edwards, Brett Lee, Waqar

There are the lever quicks which rely on the long levers that are their arms. The longer the arm the easier it is to bowl quick and it is far more efficient in converting the energy expended into pace. High levels of athleticism is not essential here. Examples include Ambrose, Walsh and McGrath, Reid

The fast bowling Holy Grail is the explosive and athletic 'giant' that probably does not exist. :)

As already mentioned, these fast bowling types rely on either size or athleticism and this requires the correct diet. For example, in SA there are issues producing Black fast bowling talent. It is a high priority for Cricket South Africa, but they are struggling with the smaller size of Black South Africans and, more importantly, dietary deficiencies especially calcium issues. This is problematic as the skeletan struggles to cope with quick bowling.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Six Pakistani fast bowlers have taken 100 test wickets or more. Here is the list and where they come from.

Fazal Mehmood (Punjab)
Sarfaraz (Punjab)
Imran (Punjab)
Wasim Akram (Punjab)
Waqar Younis (Punjab)
Shoaib (Punjab)

Punjab 100 %
Sind 0%

However when I take out a list of batsmen who have scored 2000 runs or more in test matches for Pakistan, I get 8 out of 24 from Sindh.

Sind 33%

When I look at keepers with 100 dismissals I find three from Sind and two from Punjab.

Sind 67%

Surely there has to be an explanation for not having faster bowlers from Sind in any proportion to their overall representation in the national team, other than Punjabis having big hearts. :)

Kidding Fraz :)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Then there is the long line of Indians from Guyana who have represented West Indies. Same country, same conditions, same role models and yet they keep producing batsmen and spinners but no fast bowlers.

Ali, Imtiaz
Ali, Inshan
Asgarli, Nyron R
Bacchus, Sheik F A F
Chanderpaul, Shivnarine
Chattergoon, Sewnarine
Deonarine, Narsingh
Dhanraj, Rajindra
Ganga, Darren
Jumadeen, Raphick R
Kallicharran, Alvin I
Kanhai, Rohan B
Mohammed, Dave
Nagamootoo, Mahendra V
Ragoonath, Suruj
Ramadhin, Sonny
Ramdass, Ryan
Ramdin, Denesh
Ramnarine, Dinanath
Sarwan, Ramnaresh R
Shivnarine, Sew
Singh, Charran K​

Thats a pretty long list of sub continental background cricketers (21 in all) but serious pace bowlers.... I am afraid not to talk of.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Damn you SJS, and here I thought our rubishness in the pace department might be something that could change overtime. Thanks for depressing me. :(

From now on, I am going to hope for unification of India and Pakistan, just so we can get fast bowlers. We can get Indian batting and Pakistani bowling. If that doesn't bring the countries together, I don't know what will.

tooextracool

International Coach
Goughy said:
There are the lever quicks which rely on the long levers that are their arms. The longer the arm the easier it is to bowl quick and it is far more efficient in converting the energy expended into pace. High levels of athleticism is not essential here. Examples include Ambrose, Walsh and McGrath, Reid
I think one of the crucial things about what you call 'Lever quicks' is that they tend not to get injured that often(Reid being an exception) because they rely more on their arms than they do on the rest of their body.