• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Darrel Hair be officially fined and banned ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
Haven't India more or less said they don't want him at the Champions Trophy tho? I know it was couched in terms of "safety", but that's merely a political politeness, obviously.
Which they then claimed to have not said when the ICC announced he wasn't going to the CT for security reasons....

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
grecian said:
Yes, you reject the result of this series, I'll reject the result of the series in Pakistan, because of the contribution of Shabbir Ahmed. Actually the umpires acted in the rules there too, I.E., let him carry on bowling even though we know hes chucking it.
To be fair to the officials, he didn't start chucking it until the end of the fourth day when he was getting tired. I don't remember him chucking at all during the first inning which is when he did the real damage, not the second inning.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
grecian said:
I will say Shabbir bowled one of the worse spells I've seen in Test matches in the first innings of the match in question, then when he must have realised he was finished as a cricketer went back to his olde style, which had seen him banned before, for the second.
If you're gonna accuse the man of malice, at least do your research. He took four wickets in the first inning and only 1 in the second.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nightprowler10 said:
If you're gonna accuse the man of malice, at least do your research. He took four wickets in the first inning and only 1 in the second.
Yes I was wrong, it was his first spell in the first innings that he was utterly poor. I'm not really accusing him of malice, just saying that the umpires knew he was chucking and could of no-balled him under the old rules. Anyone that saw that first spell, 75 MPH, with no movement, would think he changed his style midway through the match.

Dravid

International Captain
Hair is fine the way he is. No action needs to be taken against him, and no action will be taken against him. He was perfectly under the rules of the ICC to change the ball. Why should an action be taken against him if there was no law broken?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid said:
Hair is fine the way he is. No action needs to be taken against him, and no action will be taken against him. He was perfectly under the rules of the ICC to change the ball. Why should an action be taken against him if there was no law broken?
Agreed, and as Mr Brumby said, hes got no future anyway. Hes going to be drummed out of the game anyway.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Which they then claimed to have not said when the ICC announced he wasn't going to the CT for security reasons....
BCCI didn't say they objected to Hair umpiring for security reasons, it was the ICC who said that, and the BCCI corrected them.

pasag

RTDAS
Hair should be given a medal for all the crap he is has hat to put up with for just doing his job. Some of you have taken too much pleasure in this whole controversy and enjoyed it way too much.

I initially thought Hair was in the wrong and I still do, but the reaction from most of the people here and in the media is sickening. In no other sport will you see something like this happen and in what is supposed to be the gentlemans sport, cricket has the most ungentlemenly like fans. No grace and very little dignity.

The treament of Hair makes me sick to the stomach tbh. The massive, massive overreaction has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever seen and is more a product of groupthink than anything else. It is a shame that someones career is effectivley over because the media and fans like a good tabloid drama. A good soap opera.

He's a hero and a martyr in my books.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Hair should be given a medal for all the crap he is has hat to put up with for just doing his job. Some of you have taken too much pleasure in this whole controversy and enjoyed it way too much.

I initially thought Hair was in the wrong and I still do, but the reaction from most of the people here and in the media is sickening. In no other sport will you see something like this happen and in what is supposed to be the gentlemans sport, cricket has the most ungentlemenly like fans. No grace and very little dignity.

The treament of Hair makes me sick to the stomach tbh. The massive, massive overreaction has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever seen and is more a product of groupthink than anything else. It is a shame that someones career is effectivley over because the media and fans like a good tabloid drama. A good soap opera.

if he has just done his job, how is he in the wrong(as you seem to think he is....), and if he is in the wrong, how is he then a hero and a martyr? you talk about grace and dignity, how much grace and dignity was there in hair's approach to the situation?

pasag

RTDAS
His actions were wrong in my books but he was just doing what he thought was right. There was no malice intended and I would hope that if I ever made a simple mistake in life, I wouldn't be ostracized like what is happeining to him now.

I tell you what. No sane person is going to want to become an umpire after seeing what will happen for just doing your job.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
His actions were wrong in my books but he was just doing what he thought was right. There was no malice intended and I would hope that if I ever made a simple mistake in life, I wouldn't be ostracized like what is happeining to him now.

I tell you what. No sane person is going to want to become an umpire after seeing what will happen for just doing your job.
think about it, whether there was malice intended or not, it was not just a simple mistake....he was effectively using the powers given to him under the cricketing laws and branding a team cheaters without sufficient evidence...just because the rules allowed it, he assumed that the team will lie down and take it....when they didn't, he then assumed that bull-headed defiance will carry him through it all....do you wonder that he is now being tried and being found wanting in the court of public opinion? as for any sane person wanting to be an umpire ater seeing this, how many other umpires have you seen putting themselves in such situations?

FRAZ

International Captain
pasag said:
But after all the "over-reaction" and found being "absolutely and rubbishly wrong" , nothing has happened to him . He is not found "guilty" of anything and is still there . So not a martyr yet and I hope ........ Any ways Inzamam has just said " I spare Hair" , So I think Inzamam is the martyr over here because he has been banned and has all the legal material to drag Hair's hairy in the civil courts . Inzi "job well done" I would say by sparing him and leaving him as he is ..
There has been a reaction certainly even before the test matches started and at that time some people said "It's wrong to appoint Hair to officiate the series " and at that point such statements were called as over-reaction . So , what is a perfect reaction then . Hmmm lets say rather than winning the case on the table a fielder should have picked up the ball (showing off as if he is fielding and throwing the ball to the stumps) , and throwing the ball straight and with the full force at a certain head . And that ladies and gentlemen should have been a true "over-reaction"!!!

pasag

RTDAS
Anil said:
think about it, whether there was malice intended or not, it was not just a simple mistake....he was effectively using the powers given to him under the cricketing laws and branding a team cheaters without sufficient evidence...just because the rules allowed it, he assumed that the team will lie down and take it....when they didn't, he then assumed that bull-headed defiance will carry him through it all....do you wonder that he is now being tried and being found wanting in the court of public opinion? as for any sane person wanting to be an umpire ater seeing this, how many other umpires have you seen putting themselves in such situations?

Nope, how many umpires are going to want to go down that career path when they see that a simple mistake leads to effigies of them being burned on the street.

I can't stand the drama surrounding this and the people willing to keep the flames burning for again, a simple mistake. Get over it.

Something like 15 threads in CC on the subject suggests some people are enjoying this way too much.

FRAZ

International Captain
pasag said:
Nope, how many umpire are going to want to go down that career path when they see that a simple mistake leads to effigies being burned on the street.

I can't stand the drama surrounding this and the people willing to keep the flames burning for again, a simple mistake. Get over it.

15 threads in CC suggests some people are enjoying this way too much.
I would say that it was a misjudgement by the umpire because he did not know that the ball tempering issue has been "wrongfully labelled " at the victum team many times and on the 90 % occasions they came out clean ,and the umpire mis judged that the team will react in such a manner and "may" have thought that he is at a safe home and will win a vote or two of sympathy , or he might have thought that he might sell his "cheap popularity " (as he displayed too but his letter was released , thank God) or he might cash on by writting a cheap book by portraying his cheap "self" ... So there are many ifs and buts which can be said against him too ,so if some body said "Hair is bad" then certainly was not an over-reaction!!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Nope, how many umpires are going to want to go down that career path when they see that a simple mistake leads to effigies of them being burned on the street.

Something like 15 threads in CC on the subject suggests some people are enjoying this way too much.
1. no other umpire currently in international cricket is even remotely as controversial as hair, and there are plenty of other umpires to look up to, to emulate if you want an umpiring career...do you think any of the other umpires are going to quit because of what happened here? i don't think so....why do you think that is?...didn't notice the effigy burning part, in some parts of the world, they burn effigies at the drop of a hat, not saying it's a mature reaction to anything but such reactions are from a minority of stupid jerks and the right thing to do is not to give importance to such moronic actions....

2. you keep saying it is a simple mistake, i tried explaining why it's not, if you want to keep believing it, fine....

3. the media frenzy and the amount of discussion over here might be too much/just enough, i don't know....just about everything gets covered/scrutinized as minutely these days...you should be used to that by now....

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
pasag said:
I certainly agree with you at this point . That sort of an over-reaction by burning effigies is absolutely rubbish and actually what happens is that a newspaper or two do all this trash IMHO by asking their own officials to burn some things and then they call a press conference and make some TV clips and put it there to show as if there is a lot going on . Such rubbish is common actually .. But anyways such rubbishes also some times display that "Hair is hated with passion " .... In the end truth prevails no matter what you do , SO Inzamam won the case and thats all folks!!