• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Underated from 95 - 06?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
In any form of the game, bowler or batter, who is it.

I think that Jayasuriya, Dilshan and Gayle are all underated.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Why is Gayle underrated? He has decent records in both forms of the game, nothing special, but I don't see him getting any stick.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Basically, because of some of the stuff he has done which has gone unnoticed. One of the only players to hit 6 4s in an over, and not many people remember he has a test triple century against a fairly good SA attack.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head, I would say Trescothick.

People always talk about certain failings and technical issues without commentating that he has been one of the more prolific players of the 21st century.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Basically, because of some of the stuff he has done which has gone unnoticed. One of the only players to hit 6 4s in an over, and not many people remember he has a test triple century against a fairly good SA attack.
In a game where a million runs were scored, all 11 SA bowlers bowled and Boucher took a wicket!

Personally, If anything I would say Gayle is overrated. Certainly a good player but the glamour and excitement over value him in the public eye.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Off the top of my head, I would say Trescothick.

I don't know if I'd put him in the top ten batters playing today. Not that averages are everything, but averaging 43 in today's game is a bit underwhelming.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Really? I don't really rate him to be all that good. I mean, a decent player to be sure, but is he great? I don't know if I'd put him in the top ten batters playing today. Not that averages are everything, but averaging 43 in today's game is a bit underwhelming.
Regarding your comments. I probably wouldn't put him in the top 10 of today but there is a difference in being great and very good. He is certainly very good.
Hence, He is definately underrated.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Regarding your comments. I probably wouldn't put him in the top 10 of today but there is a difference in being great and very good and very good. He is certainly very good.
Hence, He is definately underrated.

Well, I don't know if anyone considers him to be less than a good batsman. I'd probably put him in the VVS Laxman category. Great when in flow, but a bit too inconsistent to depend on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
silentstriker said:
Really? I don't really rate him to be all that good. I mean, a decent player to be sure, but is he great? I don't know if I'd put him in the top ten batters playing today. Not that averages are everything, but averaging 43 in today's game is a bit underwhelming.
After The Ashes his stock went up a fair bit, but before that his nickname might as well have been "The Much Maligned". Like Sehwag he employs a weight transference method when batting (i.e. eff all footwork) which, when he goes cheaply, makes him an easy target for armchair purists.

Not a great player, but certainly a very decent one.

I'd say Damien Martyn seems to be pretty undervalued too. The haste with which he was dispatched after The Ashes was undue.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Really? I don't really rate him to be all that good. I mean, a decent player to be sure
silentstriker said:
Well, I don't know if anyone considers him to be less than a good batsman. I'd probably put him in the VVS Laxman category. Great when in flow, but a bit too inconsistent to depend on.
Is it me, but you seem to contradict yourself a little within the space of a couple of posts? :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lets see:

- Chanderpaul
- Reifell
- Trescothick
- Ijaz Ahmed
- Astle
- Jacobs
- Boucher
- Giles
- MacGill
- Lehmann

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Is it me, but you seem to contradict yourself a little within the space of a couple of posts? :D

LOL! You are right, I did. I misspoke in my first post. He's good, not very good or great.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BoyBrumby said:
Like Sehwag he employs a weight transference method when batting (i.e. eff all footwork) which, when he goes cheaply, makes him an easy target for armchair purists.

Well, I'm not an armchair purist, I don't care if his legs are made of iron. As long as someone is consistent and scores runs, I don't care how they do it. I don't think Tresco (and Sehwag too) is consistent enough to be in the very good/great category.

Xuhaib

International Coach
aussie said:
Lets see:

- Chanderpaul
- Reifell
- Trescothick
- Ijaz Ahmed
- Astle
- Jacobs
- Boucher
- Giles
- MacGill
- Lehmann
Yea i remember at the time he was playing for Pakistan many people wished he gets out cheaply and in doing so looses his place in the team. People just hated Ijaz for some reason, looking back one has to admit Ijaz was a decent player who was massivley undervalued by his own country supporters.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Well, I'm not an armchair purist, I don't care if his legs are made of iron. As long as someone is consistent and scores runs, I don't care how they do it. I don't think Tresco (and Sehwag too) is consistent enough to be in the very good/great category.
I wont argue with the great part but I will take issue with the consistent claim.

He has a higher median score than Tendulkar, Ponting, Inzi etc

Thanks to Hakon for doing the work :)

Samuel_Vimes said:
Bradman 48.5
Hayden 34
Dravid 33
Lara 31
Kallis 28
Trescothick 28
Ponting 27
Tendulkar 27
Inzamam 26
Langer 26
Fleming 24 (away 27)
Thorpe 20
He is also one of a tiny group of people to have scored over 1000 runs in 3 consecutive calander years since 2000.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
I wont argue with the great part but I will take issue with the consistent claim.
Thats suprising, actually. Looking at his scorecard, he certainly seems inconsistent. Lots of single and double digit scores sandwiched between the big ones. So I guess he's a consistently OK batsman.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
He is also one of a tiny group of people to have scored over 1000 runs in 3 consecutive calander years since 2000.

Well, England do play a lot more tests than anyone else, so I don't really rate that very high. That would be an achievement if everyone played the same number of tests. As in, if Don Bradman played for New Zealand, even he would have trouble amassing 1000 runs in a year.