• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Underated from 95 - 06?

tooextracool

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
Basically, because of some of the stuff he has done which has gone unnoticed. One of the only players to hit 6 4s in an over, and not many people remember he has a test triple century against a fairly good SA attack.
Gayle for me is underrated in ODIs and overrated in tests. hes nothing more than a glorified slogger who is capable of murdering a decent attack on his day on a very flat pitch, but when it comes to scoring runs against quality attacks on pitches that offer even the slightest bit for the bowlers he comes up looking very ordinary due to no footwork and a tendency to play away from his body. As such he'd struggle to make it into almost every other test side in the world and his average is very ordinary when you remove his record against bangladesh, zimbabwe and his triple ton against SA neither of which deserve to be counted anyways.
In ODIs however his bowling is extremely useful, hes really good in the slog overs and hes a somewhat improved version of carl hooper with the ball, doesnt turn it much but just bowls it quick and flat. His eye and his ability to slog make up for his rather poor technique and make him very useful in the first 15 overs of an ODI.By and large hes one of the better openers around the world in ODIs ATM.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Goughy said:
Its not, but 842 FC wickets is. As is a 17 year FC career.
Oh great, he's played for a long time - that doesn't change his ineptitude at the highest level.

Goughy said:
Its also infinately better than never taking a Test wicket.
Because bowling 18 overs (incidentally less balls than Salisbury took to take each of his 20 wickets) is a great sample selection...

tooextracool

International Coach
Goughy said:
Off the top of my head, I would say Trescothick.

People always talk about certain failings and technical issues without commentating that he has been one of the more prolific players of the 21st century.
The reason why most people, including me, dont rate trescothick very highly is because he is and always has been a flat track bully. Yes at the end of the year he comes out with good averages, but by and large his career has been consistently inconsistent, he generally has one good game all series(or 2 in a 5 match series) and fails in the rest for the rest of it with the failures coming in conditions conducive for bowling). Much like Chris Gayle his footwork is pretty poor and while he does play with a very straight bat he tends to drive with his body upright and away from the ball and this gets him to trouble when the ball is moving around. Even in the Ashes(his best Ashes ever), he by and larged gorged himself when the ball went straight and everything was rather rosy in the first innings while he generally failed when the pitched deteriorated in the 2nd. The only inning hes ever played which to some sense defied his usual tendencies is this one: http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerInnings.asp?PlayerID=2228
but exceptions do not change a rule.

tooextracool

International Coach
James90 said:
Mohammad Rafique.
Cant see how Rafique is anything other than very ordinary IMO. he cant buy a wicket away from home largely because of his inability to use drift or vary his pace effectively

sideshowtim

Banned
Nathan Bracken. Probably the best ODI bowler in the world for the last couple of years. An absolutely magnificent one, yet never seems to get the credit he really deserves. Really don't have enough words to describe how valuable this guy is to our one day side.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Mark Richardson, Damien Fleming, Darren Lehmann, Michael Kasprowics

Lehmann in particular was as under-rated as they come I believe, he will be remembered as an amazing domestic player, a good ODI player and a guy who made a reasonable mark on test cricket late in his carear given limited oppurtunities.
If fortune had smiled on him differently I believe he could have been one of the dominant batsman in world cricket over the last decade, 100 tests with an average of 50ish.
It's interesting to note that Bevan is considered by many to be the best ODI player of all time, because if I had to choose one of the two to bat for my life in a one day game I'd choose Lehmann, I believe he was everybit as good a one day batsman as Bevan if not slightly better (although his end ODI figures dont show it), he had all the refinements and deft touches of Bevan, only he was a better improviser and was willing to go on the attack earlier in his innings, plus he hit the ball harder. Didnt play as many amazing match-clinching knocks as Bevan, but I put that down to oppurtunity.

Last edited:

garypleavin

Cricket Spectator
Some people may be surprised when I say Rahul Dravid. His Test record says it all and should be hed up in the same bracket as Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting but everyone seems to forget about Dravid. I mean 111 Tests with an average of 56.47 and 24 tons is just incredible.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was actually disappointed with him ITE TBH, thought he was going to be, if not quite the next McGrath, then the next Mullally, when he first appeared on the scene.
Surely you don't mean that as a compliment.

Julian87

State Captain
Damien Martyn
Schiv Chanderpaul
Murali Kartik
Matthew Elliott
Robin Singh
Adam Parore
Dirk Viljoen

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I was actually disappointed with him ITE TBH, thought he was going to be, if not quite the next McGrath, then the next Mullally, when he first appeared on the scene.
Yeah but as it stands, he did a very fine job for West Indies in ODI's and while his record doesn't really reflect it in tests I thought he bowled well in that format.