Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Harmison v Brett Lee

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Steve Harmison v Brett Lee

Who do you think is the better test match bowler ?

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Depends on the pitch. If you take something like the Old Trafford pitch, Harmison is unplayable. But overall I'd say Lee is more consistent, at least from what I've seen.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Depends on the pitch. If you take something like the Old Trafford pitch, Harmison is unplayable. But overall I'd say Lee is more consistent, at least from what I've seen.
    Harmison does good only when the conditions help where's Lee may be an excellent ODI bowler but he is useless in tests.Both aren't great but I'd pick Lee because he has more experience.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    It really should be "who is less dear".

Anyway, they both have strengths and weaknesses, neither will go down as greats, but I'd go for Steve as steepling bounce and pace is more of a problem than just pace (in this match-up). That and he's a big daft Geordie who when faced with the prospect of no beer in Pakistan took the Lovejoy DVDs out to entertain the team. Quality.

In ODIs Lee is a mile ahead of course but I'm not really arsed about that stuff.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Lees a whole-hearted trier, and fast as light, but he doesn't get bounce, because of his lack of hgeight, and doesn't do much with the ball.

Harmison on the other hand seems to be disinterested half the time, and only gets up for it when the pitch is to his liking.

Ideally I'd like a combination of the two, tbh.

So in conclusion, I'm not sure..............
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Lee has been pretty poor really since his first 7 Tests when he had incredible figures, he averages over 35 with the ball since then.

Harmison is clearly the better Test bowler. Lee the better bowler in the mickey mouse stuff.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Quote Originally Posted by grecian
    Lees a whole-hearted trier, and fast as light, but he doesn't get bounce, because of his lack of hgeight, and doesn't do much with the ball.

Harmison on the other hand seems to be disinterested half the time, and only gets up for it when the pitch is to his liking.

Ideally I'd like a combination of the two, tbh.

So in conclusion, I'm not sure..............
    Almost a vote there

Agree to a certain extent, Harmy is a bugger for making excuses, see his "aye canny pitch let's have more like it though but" speech after Old Trafford against Pak. I don't remember Curtly chewing too much about flat wickets.

Still prefer him to Lee but.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Generally speaking, Harmison is better in tests. Lee's come a long way in the last year or so though, and if he bowls like he did last summer in tests all the time, he'll be better.

Incidentally, when I say "last summer" I'm referring to the Australian summer, not the Ashes.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin
    Who do you think is the better test match bowler ?
    If the pitch suits, if he fancies it, and if the opposition are a bit out of sorts or just not very good anyway, then Harmison's your man. Most of the time you'll get more from Lee though.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Loots's Avatar
    Harmison's performances depend massively on the pitch, and I think on a flat track I'd prefer to have Lee. But you would never get Lee blowing away teams in the fashion that Harmison does (West Indies Tour, First Test) when the wicket favours the bowler. So I also vote with the undecided majority.
    "Bring me the toolshed, for I am hungry"

Lee.

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

Yes Lee has improved, if only he could bowl the way he did in the final knock at Trent Bridge. I realise that it was an extra gear in the circumstances, but what seperates the greats from the also-rans is the ability to perfom great deeds day-to-day as well as pressure time, and I think neither of these two have the wherewithall to do the former consistently at the highest level.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Yes Lee has improved, if only he could bowl the way he did in the final knock at Trent Bridge. I realise that it was an extra gear in the circumstances, but what seperates the greats from the also-rans is the ability to perfom great deeds day-to-day as well as pressure time, and I think neither of these two have the wherewithall to do the former consistently at the highest level.
    Lee was alright at Trent Bridge, but he bowled far better spells in the Australian summer, IMO. He was brilliant on Boxing Day against South Africa (though only got 3 wickets, I beleive), and bowled a couple of sensational spells in the away series against South Africa too. When he got the new ball and took over from McGrath as the strike bowler he really improved his consistency, and if he keeps it up I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a successful Ashes series.

Lee is the most underrated bowler on these forums his performances in the last 8-10 test matches matches up to his performances in the first 7, and only an idiot can say Lee dosent do much with the ball he is one of the best exponents of swing bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib
    Lee is the most underrated bowler on these forums his performances in the last 8-10 test matches matches up to his performances in the first 7, and only an idiot can say Lee dosent do much with the ball he is one of the best exponents of swing bowling.
    In ODIs. Doesn't do that much with the new red one, unless he's changed completely since I saw him last.

Anyway I'm off to the pub.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information