Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Harmison v Brett Lee

Both should be better than they are.

In the end I'd probably rather Harmison, but the fact that he makes it so obvious he can't be arsed sometimes is a real turn off for a fast bowler. Lee gives his all every over.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Lee gives his all every over.
    This is the one thing I really hate about Brett Lee. When he gives absolutely everything he can be truely fantastic, like he was at Trent Bridge. But most of the time he just goes into idiot mode, or bouncer/yorker mode, like at the Oval, v Pietersen after lunch when he got burned badly, sometimes he needs to just put his brain in gear.

Harmison, meh, sometimes devastating, rest of the time he goes between average and shocking.
    Last edited by UncleTheOne; 29-09-2006 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne
    This is the one thing I really hate about Brett Lee. When he gives absolutely everything he can be truely fantastic, like he was at Trent Bridge. But most of the time he just goes into idiot mode, or bouncer/yorker mode, like at the Oval, v Pietersen after lunch when he got burned badly, sometimes he needs to just put his brain in gear.
    I disagree a little. I reckon he's always gibing 'absolutely everything' as you say. I just reckon for most of his career he's been plain dumb. And even though he's becoming a smarter bowler now, you still see some idiocy from him every now and then.

The Chappell Hadlee Series is one instance, where NZ almost chased down a massive 300+ score in game 2, and then chased down what was then the record ODI chase ever in game 3 were matcheswhere Lee bowled like an idiot. Bowling bouncers late in the innings giving away wides and stuff like that. You sometimes just wonder what goes through his brain.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    If the pitch suits, if he fancies it, and if the opposition are a bit out of sorts or just not very good anyway, then Harmison's your man. Most of the time you'll get more from Lee though.
    My thoughts exactly. If I had to pick one guy that had to play the next 20 tests, I would pick Lee.

However, Lee at his best is not the same as Harmison at his best. If I had 1 test I had to win then I would pick Harmison and hope it was a track suited to him and he felt like turning it on that day.

Both are dangerous. Lee a little more consistent and Harmison a little more penetrative.

Pick your poison.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I'd pick McGrath :{
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

U19 Vice-Captain pietersenrocks's Avatar
    Lee for his consistency

U19 Vice-Captain pietersenrocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    I'd pick McGrath :{
    Mcgrath is always the best.

Quote Originally Posted by pietersenrocks
    Lee for his consistency
    Consistently what tho?

Some of the arguments in this thread are pretty ridiculous, in Tests I'll go with Harmison... because he's err... *better* - absurd basis that it is for actually choosing one or the other.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Consistently what tho?

Some of the arguments in this thread are pretty ridiculous, in Tests I'll go with Harmison... because he's err... *better* - absurd basis that it is for actually choosing one or the other.
    One usually accompanies "better" with a reason. Harmison has been better over the course of his career because, even though he regularly goes to pieces like Lee, he's a more dangerous bowler when he gets it right. Lee's been improving to the point where he no longer goes to pieces and gets 0/100 off 20 overs every 5th match, and that consistency could make him a better bowler than someone who is occasionally very good and usually quite poor.

There's certainly no question that in the last 12 months Lee has been a better test bowler than Harmison, and that in the couple of years before that Harmison was much better. It's actually quite hard to pick where it will go from here.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Hmmm... I've been writing an article on this topic for the past month or so...
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    One usually accompanies "better" with a reason. Harmison has been better over the course of his career because, even though he regularly goes to pieces like Lee, he's a more dangerous bowler when he gets it right. Lee's been improving to the point where he no longer goes to pieces and gets 0/100 off 20 overs every 5th match, and that consistency could make him a better bowler than someone who is occasionally very good and usually quite poor.

There's certainly no question that in the last 12 months Lee has been a better test bowler than Harmison, and that in the couple of years before that Harmison was much better. It's actually quite hard to pick where it will go from here.
    Given the trend over the last 20 months or so, I'd expect Lee to leave Harmison miles behind. You couldn't honestly say that Harmy was good for a couple of years It was about 6 months really, followed by two years of what could generously be described as mediocrity, apart from 2 good innings (Lords 1 in 2005 & OT 1 in 2006). It was obvious that Lee was showing signs of progress in the Ashes, even if his series average wasn't pretty, and his subsequent performances against SA have confirmed that he's on the up. Harmy may be extremely dangerous when he gets it right, but it's incredibly rare, and he's incredibly lucky to be an automatic pick. If he's a non-event again this winter then I'd call it a day. If he proves me wrong then iI'll be delighted to admit it.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Hmmm... I've been writing an article on this topic for the past month or so...
    Longest article in the history of CW?

Oh, and incidentally, started uni yet Liam? (The lectures part I mean, not the week-long binge that is Freshers' Week )

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    Given the trend over the last 20 months or so, I'd expect Lee to leave Harmison miles behind. You couldn't honestly say that Harmy was good for a couple of years It was about 6 months really, followed by two years of what could generously be described as mediocrity, apart from 2 good innings (Lords 1 in 2005 & OT 1 in 2006). It was obvious that Lee was showing signs of progress in the Ashes, even if his series average wasn't pretty, and his subsequent performances against SA have confirmed that he's on the up. Harmy may be extremely dangerous when he gets it right, but it's incredibly rare, and he's incredibly lucky to be an automatic pick. If he's a non-event again this winter then I'd call it a day. If he proves me wrong then iI'll be delighted to admit it.
    Lee's still got a bit to prove obviously, especially against batsmen who really attack him. He lorded over the likes of Smith and Kallis last summer, but they never really went after him, and England will obviously do that. I expect he'll go okay though, and if he has another summer like last one he'll certainly be among the best fast bowlers in the world in tests.

I've never really rated Harmison that highly, so I guess I agree generally. He's a good bowler when he has the right sort of conditions, but Shane Watson's taken 11 wickets in a match on a helpful pitch too (albeit a first class match). The test of a good bowler is obviously performing in a range of conditions, and Harmison just isn't consistent enough to be rated among the best in the world. He's a handy part of a strong five-man attack including Hoggard, Jones and Flintoff, but I wouldn't want to rely on him to lead a bowling attack.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Its a very good question, and Im going to say Harmison. Theyve both been sent for alot of runs off not alot of overs, but have also taken quite a number of wickets. But Harmison in the WI 2004 (7-12) is the man who practically got me interested in cricket, so I go for him
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib
    Lee is the most underrated bowler on these forums his performances in the last 8-10 test matches matches up to his performances in the first 7, and only an idiot can say Lee dosent do much with the ball he is one of the best exponents of swing bowling.

Hmm, resident idiot here. I saw the guy bowl at the Oval* , and have been told that was an atypical performance, I didn't see him move it off the straight and narrow once.

I only talk about tests, as I'm not a massive fan of pyjama cricket.

* Yes I was there, thank you Daily Telegraph Fantasy cricket comp.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information