• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Harmison v Brett Lee

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
pietersenrocks said:
Lee for his consistency
Consistently what tho?

Some of the arguments in this thread are pretty ridiculous, in Tests I'll go with Harmison... because he's err... *better* - absurd basis that it is for actually choosing one or the other.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Consistently what tho?

Some of the arguments in this thread are pretty ridiculous, in Tests I'll go with Harmison... because he's err... *better* - absurd basis that it is for actually choosing one or the other.
One usually accompanies "better" with a reason. Harmison has been better over the course of his career because, even though he regularly goes to pieces like Lee, he's a more dangerous bowler when he gets it right. Lee's been improving to the point where he no longer goes to pieces and gets 0/100 off 20 overs every 5th match, and that consistency could make him a better bowler than someone who is occasionally very good and usually quite poor.

There's certainly no question that in the last 12 months Lee has been a better test bowler than Harmison, and that in the couple of years before that Harmison was much better. It's actually quite hard to pick where it will go from here.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
One usually accompanies "better" with a reason. Harmison has been better over the course of his career because, even though he regularly goes to pieces like Lee, he's a more dangerous bowler when he gets it right. Lee's been improving to the point where he no longer goes to pieces and gets 0/100 off 20 overs every 5th match, and that consistency could make him a better bowler than someone who is occasionally very good and usually quite poor.

There's certainly no question that in the last 12 months Lee has been a better test bowler than Harmison, and that in the couple of years before that Harmison was much better. It's actually quite hard to pick where it will go from here.
Given the trend over the last 20 months or so, I'd expect Lee to leave Harmison miles behind. You couldn't honestly say that Harmy was good for a couple of years It was about 6 months really, followed by two years of what could generously be described as mediocrity, apart from 2 good innings (Lords 1 in 2005 & OT 1 in 2006). It was obvious that Lee was showing signs of progress in the Ashes, even if his series average wasn't pretty, and his subsequent performances against SA have confirmed that he's on the up. Harmy may be extremely dangerous when he gets it right, but it's incredibly rare, and he's incredibly lucky to be an automatic pick. If he's a non-event again this winter then I'd call it a day. If he proves me wrong then iI'll be delighted to admit it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmmm... I've been writing an article on this topic for the past month or so...
Longest article in the history of CW? :p

Oh, and incidentally, started uni yet Liam? (The lectures part I mean, not the week-long binge that is Freshers' Week ;) )

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Given the trend over the last 20 months or so, I'd expect Lee to leave Harmison miles behind. You couldn't honestly say that Harmy was good for a couple of years It was about 6 months really, followed by two years of what could generously be described as mediocrity, apart from 2 good innings (Lords 1 in 2005 & OT 1 in 2006). It was obvious that Lee was showing signs of progress in the Ashes, even if his series average wasn't pretty, and his subsequent performances against SA have confirmed that he's on the up. Harmy may be extremely dangerous when he gets it right, but it's incredibly rare, and he's incredibly lucky to be an automatic pick. If he's a non-event again this winter then I'd call it a day. If he proves me wrong then iI'll be delighted to admit it.
Lee's still got a bit to prove obviously, especially against batsmen who really attack him. He lorded over the likes of Smith and Kallis last summer, but they never really went after him, and England will obviously do that. I expect he'll go okay though, and if he has another summer like last one he'll certainly be among the best fast bowlers in the world in tests.

I've never really rated Harmison that highly, so I guess I agree generally. He's a good bowler when he has the right sort of conditions, but Shane Watson's taken 11 wickets in a match on a helpful pitch too (albeit a first class match). The test of a good bowler is obviously performing in a range of conditions, and Harmison just isn't consistent enough to be rated among the best in the world. He's a handy part of a strong five-man attack including Hoggard, Jones and Flintoff, but I wouldn't want to rely on him to lead a bowling attack.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Its a very good question, and Im going to say Harmison. Theyve both been sent for alot of runs off not alot of overs, but have also taken quite a number of wickets. But Harmison in the WI 2004 (7-12) is the man who practically got me interested in cricket, so I go for him

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Xuhaib said:
Lee is the most underrated bowler on these forums his performances in the last 8-10 test matches matches up to his performances in the first 7, and only an idiot can say Lee dosent do much with the ball he is one of the best exponents of swing bowling.

Hmm, resident idiot here. I saw the guy bowl at the Oval* , and have been told that was an atypical performance, I didn't see him move it off the straight and narrow once.

I only talk about tests, as I'm not a massive fan of pyjama cricket.

* Yes I was there, thank you Daily Telegraph Fantasy cricket comp.:cool:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Mmmmm....

Harmison as people have said is great on his day, but i'm begining to think more and more now that he relys more on conditions to get his wickets than any other bowler in test cricket.

I mean, most days he's absolutely useless, but compare that to when he takes wickets and it's crazy, that gap between his bowling in incredible, there seems to be no middle ground.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
General consensus seems to be that harmison is more talented but that Brett lee is more...reliable.

If I was to have the option of picking one of them for a five Test series, I would select harmison. He would most likely have 1 stinker, 2 quiet games, 1 good game, and one mesmerising game, his mesmering performances are generally matchwinning ones, and even when he has a quiet game, he is more than capable of pulling something out of nowhere all of a sudden, ie Clarke last ball day 3 Edgbaston.

Brett Lee is good, but I'd rather have Harmy, but then you all knew that I'd say that anyway, didn't you?

Natman20

International Debutant
How about Shane Bond (prob not proven enough I guess)

Lee is a threat in Tests but not as great as that of bowlers such as McGrath or even some of the others in Australia that are slightly slower than him. I think both bowlers are suited to different conditions and if everything clicks either of them have potential to produce devastating spells. I think as fast bowlers their spells generally can't be very long so they have to produce the goods from go.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Generally speaking, Harmison is better in tests. Lee's come a long way in the last year or so though, and if he bowls like he did last summer in tests all the time, he'll be better.

Incidentally, when I say "last summer" I'm referring to the Australian summer, not the Ashes.

agreed. Lee is also an excellent fielder and a handy batsman ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
We're all quite accustomed to it by now.
Err, actually, I almost never troll. I just disagree with your assertions that the current Indian pace attack is the second coming of Marshall and Ambrose.

Yes, I know you didn't actually say that.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
age_master said:
agreed. Lee is also an excellent fielder and a handy batsman ;)
Again Harmison is fairly good with the bat down the order when he bothers, should be above Hoggard. But most of the time he looks as though he'd rather be somewhere else.