Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Saurav Ganguly one of the greatest ODI batsmen ever ?

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Is Saurav Ganguly one of the greatest ODI batsmen ever ?

I think he is....10,000 runs at 40.65.....that's pretty impressive....

Yeah he was pretty damn good, had a golden run from 98-2000.

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?s...ields=viewtype

In that 2 year period he scored 15 of his 22 ODI centuries. Amazing considering how long he played ODI cricket for.

I remember when India toured Australia back in 99/2000, and no one was performing with the bat except Ganguly and Sachin. There was a point during the VB Series (Carlton & United Series as it was known back then) where Ganguly was bowling, and the ball was hit in the air and Tendulkar caught it. I believe this was when Tony Greig yelled "This team should be called Tendulkar-Ganguly." Harsh on the rest of the team, but they were really crap and playing even worse than crap. Particularly when you take into account the test series as well.
    Last edited by Jono; 29-09-2006 at 05:42 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Yes,he is definitely one of the best ODI batsmen ever.1999-2002 was his golden period but then he got worst & worst & when he was dropped from the team,he batted like a tailender & not a proper batsman.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Yes he was but its amazing that his weakness against the short fast ball on the body wasnt discovered early in his career.

If he was to go back to being the player he was with one the knowledge of his bouncer-blues available to the world, I doubt if he would get runs against the best fast attacks in the same manner that he did.

I also feel, it would break his spirit if he was shown to be weak. He is a player who feeds on his confidence and needs to show the bowler "who is the boss" and if that was taken away, I doubt if he would be the same player.

All extremely hypothetical of course.

For people who lay aspersions and state what if scenarios, Ganguly's weakness against the short ball and his preference of the off side was known for a long time. During his periods of strength, he looked the king of off side but could only lead the ball to a catcher when he was not playing near his best. Ganguly was a top one day player for a period and that should be the end of it.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    For people who lay aspersions and state what if scenarios, Ganguly's weakness against the short ball and his preference of the off side was known for a long time. During his periods of strength, he looked the king of off side but could only lead the ball to a catcher when he was not playing near his best. Ganguly was a top one day player for a period and that should be the end of it.
    he has always been one of the best ODI players since his golden run. He has lost it now, but that shouldn't take away the fact that he remains one of the best ever to have played ODI cricket, batsmen,I mean. And while he did always have a weakness against the short ball, I think it was the fact that he had gotten a little too loose outside the offstump that went against him as he lost his form. He was a bad player of the short ball at his best and he was a bad player of the short ball at his worst. But he looked lost when he started poking too much outside the off stump. That I think was the beginning of the end for him.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    he has always been one of the best ODI players since his golden run. He has lost it now, but that shouldn't take away the fact that he remains one of the best ever to have played ODI cricket, batsmen,I mean.
    Yeah, exactly.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Yes he is.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

yep one of the best ODI openers.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yes, one of the all time ODI players.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Pretty Impressive? thats the best ODI average Ive ever seen. I would agree that sourav is indeed (one of) the greatest ODI batsmen ever
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Yeah he was pretty damn good, had a golden run from 98-2000.

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?s...ields=viewtype

In that 2 year period he scored 15 of his 22 ODI centuries. Amazing considering how long he played ODI cricket for.

I remember when India toured Australia back in 99/2000, and no one was performing with the bat except Ganguly and Sachin. There was a point during the VB Series (Carlton & United Series as it was known back then) where Ganguly was bowling, and the ball was hit in the air and Tendulkar caught it. I believe this was when Tony Greig yelled "This team should be called Tendulkar-Ganguly." Harsh on the rest of the team, but they were really crap and playing even worse than crap. Particularly when you take into account the test series as well.
    Ha, yea remeber that series & Greig's comments as well. But geez those are impressive stats 15 centuries in two years @ 47, damn yo...

No matter what happened later in his career, he was one of the best ODI players ever.

Still remember that knock at Dhak achasing 314 in the dark against Pak it was absolute awsome stuff.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Yes he was but its amazing that his weakness against the short fast ball on the body wasnt discovered early in his career.

Yeah that sure was kinda his problem . Shoaib Akhtar picked this problem of his up same like Gough picked Bevan up ...
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information