• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Saurav Ganguly one of the greatest ODI batsmen ever ?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he was pretty damn good, had a golden run from 98-2000.

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

In that 2 year period he scored 15 of his 22 ODI centuries. Amazing considering how long he played ODI cricket for.

I remember when India toured Australia back in 99/2000, and no one was performing with the bat except Ganguly and Sachin. There was a point during the VB Series (Carlton & United Series as it was known back then) where Ganguly was bowling, and the ball was hit in the air and Tendulkar caught it. I believe this was when Tony Greig yelled "This team should be called Tendulkar-Ganguly." Harsh on the rest of the team, but they were really crap and playing even worse than crap. Particularly when you take into account the test series as well.

Last edited:
Yes,he is definitely one of the best ODI batsmen ever.1999-2002 was his golden period but then he got worst & worst & when he was dropped from the team,he batted like a tailender & not a proper batsman.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes he was but its amazing that his weakness against the short fast ball on the body wasnt discovered early in his career.

If he was to go back to being the player he was with one the knowledge of his bouncer-blues available to the world, I doubt if he would get runs against the best fast attacks in the same manner that he did.

I also feel, it would break his spirit if he was shown to be weak. He is a player who feeds on his confidence and needs to show the bowler "who is the boss" and if that was taken away, I doubt if he would be the same player.

All extremely hypothetical of course.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
For people who lay aspersions and state what if scenarios, Ganguly's weakness against the short ball and his preference of the off side was known for a long time. During his periods of strength, he looked the king of off side but could only lead the ball to a catcher when he was not playing near his best. Ganguly was a top one day player for a period and that should be the end of it. :sleep:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pratyush said:
For people who lay aspersions and state what if scenarios, Ganguly's weakness against the short ball and his preference of the off side was known for a long time. During his periods of strength, he looked the king of off side but could only lead the ball to a catcher when he was not playing near his best. Ganguly was a top one day player for a period and that should be the end of it. :sleep:
he has always been one of the best ODI players since his golden run. He has lost it now, but that shouldn't take away the fact that he remains one of the best ever to have played ODI cricket, batsmen,I mean. And while he did always have a weakness against the short ball, I think it was the fact that he had gotten a little too loose outside the offstump that went against him as he lost his form. He was a bad player of the short ball at his best and he was a bad player of the short ball at his worst. But he looked lost when he started poking too much outside the off stump. That I think was the beginning of the end for him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
honestbharani said:
he has always been one of the best ODI players since his golden run. He has lost it now, but that shouldn't take away the fact that he remains one of the best ever to have played ODI cricket, batsmen,I mean.
Yeah, exactly.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Pretty Impressive? thats the best ODI average Ive ever seen. I would agree that sourav is indeed (one of) the greatest ODI batsmen ever

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Yeah he was pretty damn good, had a golden run from 98-2000.

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

In that 2 year period he scored 15 of his 22 ODI centuries. Amazing considering how long he played ODI cricket for.

I remember when India toured Australia back in 99/2000, and no one was performing with the bat except Ganguly and Sachin. There was a point during the VB Series (Carlton & United Series as it was known back then) where Ganguly was bowling, and the ball was hit in the air and Tendulkar caught it. I believe this was when Tony Greig yelled "This team should be called Tendulkar-Ganguly." Harsh on the rest of the team, but they were really crap and playing even worse than crap. Particularly when you take into account the test series as well.
Ha, yea remeber that series & Greig's comments as well. But geez those are impressive stats 15 centuries in two years @ 47, damn yo...

Xuhaib

International Coach
Still remember that knock at Dhak achasing 314 in the dark against Pak it was absolute awsome stuff.

FRAZ

International Captain
SJS said:
Yes he was but its amazing that his weakness against the short fast ball on the body wasnt discovered early in his career.

Yeah that sure was kinda his problem . Shoaib Akhtar picked this problem of his up same like Gough picked Bevan up ...

Dravid

International Captain
I'll admit he is, but his good days are over. If you just take his stats over the last 3-4 years, he doesn't even come close. But his career stats sure make him a candidate

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yes he is one of the top one day openers of all time(he was not of much use as a middle order batsman)....although a few steps below the top rung...sachin, viv and then bevan, ponting etc.....

PhoenixFire

International Coach
In ODIS:

Ganguly > Bevan, Gilchrist, Kallis, Inzamam, and Trescothick.

In my opinion, he is a supreme batsman at one day level, and severely underated. In my opinion, he is only behind Zaheer Abbas, Viv Richards, Sachin Tendulkar and Mike Hussey in ODIs.