• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abdur Razzak...or Abdul?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I was watching ICC cricket world (a 30 min program we Brits get so we can see a few shots played by other teams round the world combined with old news all brought together in a sickly happy format, I had to watch this just to see what England were doing in NZ...and saw about 5 shots of Astle's Innings...something to tell the grandchildren about) and it was the Pak-Aus series and while the narrator pronounced Razzak's name Abdur, the 2 commentators pronounced it Abdul! When England were touring Pakistan and Razzak was just becoming established in the team he was known as Abdur but recently most people call him Abdul...what is his name and why the confusion?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It started off as Abdur and it stayed that way till half way through his season with Middlesex in the county championship...it was Abdur and I'm gonna continue using it...anyway it suits him better I think

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is Abdul, he said something about all the journalists getting it wrong earlier this year, and so we now all call him by his proper name!

In fact, if you persist in calling him Abdur, I will call you Mik for the rest of your life! ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Who cares??? Hehehe, my real name is Eric...no much you can mess around there...Eric Loveland Heath II :saint:

Now you know why I'm known as Rik :lol:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On old scorecards when he was playing for Pakistan U/19's, he was known as Abdul. Wonder where Abdur came from then?

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Top_Cat
On old scorecards when he was playing for Pakistan U/19's, he was known as Abdul. Wonder where Abdur came from then?
Well here's one example from a couple of years back

http://uk.cricinfo.com//link_to_dat...IN_PAK/SCORECARDS/ENG_PAK_ODI1_24OCT2000.html

And here's one from this years English season.

(Squad list for Middlesex - Where he was an overseas player)

http://www-uk.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/2002/ENG_LOCAL/SQUADS/MIDDX_2002_SQUAD.html

[Edited on 20/10/02 by Rich2001]

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Now then lets clarify this... Abd is one word the other is AlRazzaq(which is one of 99 known names for God Almighty in Islam), so his name means: ' servant of the God'

Now... the 'Al' before 'Razzaq' means 'the', when the word after the 'Al' begins with certain letters like 'R' in this instance, you take away the 'L' so his name sounds " A'Razzaq "

Here we added "Abd" to "A'Razzaq" and because abd is discrete it ends with an 'oo' sound shown by the english letter 'u', the nature of the way the two words are pronounced the 'u' joins the 'R' at the beginning of the "Razzaq" and the "A" before the "Razzaq" is therefore ignore or nullified as in the english word "knee" where the k isn't pronounced.

Sorry to bore you all, but in conclusion his name should be spelt:
Abdul Razzaq
and pronounced:
"AbdurRazzaq" with extra emphasis placed by showing two 'r's

Hope that clarifies this matter.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Whoa Scientific! But thanks for clarifying the issue! It was getting a bit confusing

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah when I was watching the Aus vs Pak tests on Fox they had Rameez Raja and some fella whose name slips my mind commentating and it sounded like "Abdur" but the scorecard said Abdul.