• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great Debate Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok guys.

It's time to settle some of the burning issues floating around in the cricket world today. There's so much to talk about - Darrell and Inzy, Tendulkar v Lara, Simon Katich and the Ashes, and here we will put the arguments to rest once and for all with formal debating.

How it will work

Registering

Just post your interest in this thread, then wait to be allocated to a team for a debate.

Allocation

Posters who register interest will be randomly allocated to a team, then the affirmative and negative teams will be selected in the good old traditional way of a coin toss.

Debating

Teams will decide who will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd speakers. Once teams have allocated their speakers the 1st speaker for the affirmative will begin proceedings, then followed by 1st speaker of the negative and so on.

Criteria

Each argument must be at least 250 words in length and no more than 500 words. 300-350 words would be omptimum. (The word length will be reviewed after the first debate). Players will be deducted points for not reaching or going over the word limit.

Each argument must be relevant to the topic, so no gasbagging - keep it to the point! Points will be deducted for wailing on.

Each argument should be well referenced either referring to fellow cricketweb posters, cricket writers or cricket commentators.

Each argument should not contain offensive language or insults to other debators.

The rebuttal speaker (3rd speaker for each team) will not be allowed to bring in new information for their team, they can only rebut what has already been said by the previous 3 or 4 speakers. Penalties will occur for doing this.

Winning a debate

Your job is to convince other cricketweb members that your team is absolutely right, so they are the people you need to convince, so their decision will mean the world to you. After the debate is complete a new thread will be started and CW members will be able to vote on who they think will win. I will give a summary of my point of veiw and my thoughts which CW members may or may not choose to use when making their decision. I will only overturn a decision if I feel too much bias or thuggery has come into play.

As soon as we have 6 members interested the debating will begin.

If this catches on, I'll start one in off topic also debating matters other than cricket.

Dravid

International Captain
You know what, I was thinking about making this thread last night. But not with the same format. You beat me to it!

Perm

Good thread Mister Wright, I daresay I wouldn't be very good at debating these things but I'll certainly read with alot of interest.

Mister Wright

I just thought that there is too much squabling going on. Here we can decide once and for all, all the things floating around the forum that need settling.

One thing I forgot to mention:

The team that does win will then get a chance to defend their title against a new team. However, a toss will decide who is affirmative and negative. As teams will not always have the same 3 players, I'll keep a tally of who has one the most debates and have a debator of the month award.

Johnners

1 question, how long does a team get to prepare their argument after a topic has been decided, and then how long of an interval is going to be allowed for a debater to post his part of the teams argument after the previous debater.

Count me in :)

Last edited:

Mister Wright

"Welcome to the first Great Debate live from the Cricket Web Forum. Our first two teams have been decided. On team one we have Dravid, Clapo and Jono facing off against team two members, FaaipDeOiap, Stuelen and Silentstriker.

Our first debate is one that has been raging in cricket circles for close to a year ever since the end of the Ashes and the Australian selectors looking to go in different directions in both the test and one day international sides. One of the major talking points has been the inclusion of Simon Katich as Australia's one day international opener and whether he is the right man for the role.

So, our first ever debate topic is:

That Simon Katich is the right option to open the batting for Australia at the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies.

Everyone is standing by to see which team will be the affirmative and which side will be the negative. If heads comes up team one will be the affirmative and if tails comes up team two will be the affirmative. Now for the toss....and heads is the side of the coin that is turned up, so we will have team one as the affirmative and team two as the negative. Good luck to everyone involved and happy debating."

Okay team one and team two it is up to you how you will decide your order. Either do this by putting your email address here, or you most likely have each other's MSN. There is no time limit in getting your debates in, but make sure they are well thought out and legible. As soon as the first speaker for the affirmative has posted their debate, the first speaker for the negative can then post their debate, and so on.

Good luck!

Dravid

International Captain
Clapo and Jono, please add me to msn, or give me your msn. I'm in school right now so I will have a chat with you guys when I get home.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My MSN is jonoaugustus@hotmail.com

Before I get into this debate, I'll just make my opening statement. Its simple, but rings true. Simon Katich must stay the opener of the Australian ODI team because he has made threats suggesting that if he is dropped he will go on a killing rampage more violent than Port Arthur and Columbine combined.

Who are we to doubt this man's rage?