• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 6 for 1986-2006 World Test XI

# 6 Position for 1986-2006 World Test XI

• Chris Cairns

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Kapil Dev

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Andy Flintoff

• Richard Hadlee

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Jaques Kallis

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Imran Khan

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • Saun Pollock

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Rahul Dravid

• Viv Richards

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Steve Waugh

Votes: 15 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Not sure you need two ARs, and with all that batting I'd drop Faulkner or Procter and stick Fanie in there. But then I like Fanie.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
oz_fan said:
This would be my all time SA team:
1. Barry Richards
2. Eddie Barlow
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Mike Procter
7. Aubrey Faulkner
8. Mark Boucher
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Hugh Tayfield
11. Allan Donald
My SA AllTime XI - Only including players that played post-war
1. Mitchell
2. B Richards
3. G Pollock
4. Kallis
5. Rice
6. Nourse
7. Lindsey
8. Procter
9. Donald
10. P Pollock
11. Tayfield

and a pretty good
2nd XI
1 Kirsten
2 Barlow
3 P Kirsten
4 Bland
5 Cook
6 Irvine
7 Cullinan
8 Boucher
9 De Villiers
10 Adcock
11 S Pollock

Both teams have good deep batting and very strong bowling (although lacking a wide choice of spinners)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
oz_fan said:
Imran Khan for me at number 6.

1. Barry Richards
2. Eddie Barlow
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Mike Procter
7. Aubrey Faulkner
8. Mark Boucher
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Hugh Tayfield
11. Allan Donald
A very strong XI tbh. Would love to see an Indian all-time XI.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
The gap between Indian and South African batting is bigger than you'd think, IMO, and you're also probably not taking Indian spinners into account.

Look at Goughy's all time RSA side. It certainly isnt large. Like I said, we'd be one of the worst.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie said:
You could, West Indies beat India alot at home with pace surely an all-time windies would as well & If Australia play like how they did in the sub-continent in 2004 an all-time version could certainly win. Pakistan could win in India also while Englad & South Africa would be fairly competitive. But SRI & NZ would struggle..

Nah, I don't think so. 2004 was when a lot of our batsman were in doubt for the form, and we almost won another test there, if it wasn't for the rain. 2001 was better in terms of 'in form' teams on both sides. Remember, Aussies had won 16 in a row before then. And we didn't have a good pace attack at all then either. If we have a passable pace attack, and a good spin attack, plus our batsman being home-pitch bullies, it would be very hard indeed to lose a series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
oz_fan said:
Imran Khan for me at number 6.

1. Barry Richards
2. Eddie Barlow
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Mike Procter
7. Aubrey Faulkner
8. Mark Boucher
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Hugh Tayfield
11. Allan Donald
wouldn't pick Boucher as the keeper. The likes of Cameron, Lindsay & Waite

Shaun Pollock could be replaced by Neil Adcock was on South Africa fastest & best bowlers & unlike Donald played with few world class support & still managed an average of 21.

Barlow could be replaced by Bruce Mitchell, solid post war opener.

A possible ALL-TIME XI for me would be:

Mitchell
Richards
Pollock
Nourse
Kallis
Procter
Faulkner
Cameron
Tayfield
Donald
Adcock.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
Nah, I don't think so. 2004 was when a lot of our batsman were in doubt for the form, and we almost won another test there, if it wasn't for the rain. 2001 was better in terms of 'in form' teams on both sides. Remember, Aussies had won 16 in a row before then. And we didn't have a good pace attack at all then either. If we have a passable pace attack, and a good spin attack, plus our batsman being home-pitch bullies, it would be very hard indeed to lose a series.
In 2001 not only did India not have a good pace attack, they had rubbish spinners too other than Harbhajan who was really a one-man bowling team.

Bahutule, Raju etc. added almost nothing. An Indian team with their best spinners of all time would run riot on Indian wickets.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Nah, I don't think so. 2004 was when a lot of our batsman were in doubt for the form, and we almost won another test there, if it wasn't for the rain..
When i said 2004 i was totally talking about the Indian series also the Sri Lanka one. The only Indian batsman who was really out of form or short of match practice @ that time was Tendulkar, Dravid was in good form Australia just failed him, Sehwag batted well, Laxman was finally worked out by Australia & Ganguly well what can i say about him.

They could have won in Chennai but based on how Australia had the Indian batsmen in check during that series & the amount of times in the past Australia haved defended such targets in the past i felt they would have won. But we'll never know.

But the point i'm trying to make the planning etc that Australia under-took going into theri sub-continent tours in 2004, if an All-time side could really challenge as well.

silentstriker said:
If we have a passable pace attack, and a good spin attack, plus our batsman being home-pitch bullies, it would be very hard indeed to lose a series.
Fair point, but lets play pretend yo, lets say an Indian All-time XI for a test @ home was this:

Gavaskar
Merchant
Dravid
Tendulkar
Hazare
Mankad
Engineer
Kapil Dev
Kumble
Bedi
Prasanna

We are saying here India are going with 4 spinners to try to exploit Australia's historical weakness againts spin

Australian XI:

Trumper
Hayden
Bradman
Chappell
Waugh
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
McGrath
O'Reilly

Australia would have Hayden, Bradman, Chappell & Waugh for sure who would be able to counter the superb spin threat. Miller & Trumper would be ok, Gilly would be hit & miss.

Bowling McGrath one of the best overseas bowlers on flat tracks, Lillee even though he didn't play much in India during his great career its fair enough to presume he would have done well & Miller , O'Reilly a kumble style leggie who would enjoy bowling on Indian wickets, while i guess based on his performances Warne may struggle a bit, but he could bowl well if he keeps his head on.

Looking at this imagining a raging turner infront of a jam packed Eden Gardens in blazing sunshine i'd say it would be a dog fight, that India may win in the end for real.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Any team with Bradman in it has an unfair advantage, so yea Aussies might win a test or two. But plenty of our batsman are bradmanesque when the ball doesn't move in the air. :p

I would still think the series would be tied or won by India.

In Australia (or in any other country), we'd lose pretty badly, especially when we lose the toss and are unable to post a daunting total in the first innings. Because we'd almost always have to face one, from an all time team batting first against us.

So in like a 5 test series vs. other countries, we would win like 3-2 in India, but lose like 4-0 outside.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised no-one mentioned this guy for the South Africans van der bijl.

Or are you only considering those who played Test cricket.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
grecian said:

1986-2006 World Test XI

Cricinfo said:
First-class span 1967/68 - 1982/83
List A span 1969/70 - 1982/83
Sorry.:( Fails to qualify for two reasons:
1) He never played a test.
2) He never played those tests that he never played between 1986 and 2006.

Shocking grammar.

Last edited:

grecian

NZTailender said:
1986-2006 World Test XI

Sorry.:( Fails to qualify for two reasons:
1) He never played a test.
2) He never played those tests that he never played between 1986 and 2006.

Shocking grammar.

Umm, sorry the convo had gone into an all-time SA XI, but admittedly it was very off-topic.

Moving on........

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
grecian said:
Umm, sorry the convo had gone into an all-time SA XI, but admittedly it was very off-topic.

Moving on........

:ph34r: Haha. Once again, I look the complete tool.

Sorry mate.

grecian

Hey Its OK, I never normally read more then about two posts back myself :D

It does look a bit odd at the top of this page, in this thread. Hes certainly not even a number 6 either.

JBH001

International Regular
Well, considering the votes cast it seems a little too late, but I do not think Imran should be in this side. I mean, the man began his test career in the mid 70s - I honestly do not think he belongs in a side with players whose career was mainly 86 onwards.

(But that is just a personal point of view)

Also, his record is inflated post 86 do to the large number of NO that I believe he had during that time - and though his bowling average is exceptional, his wkts/test ratio needs a lot to be desired.

And if he is to be captain - I do not think he would be a good captain of this side. The tendency to lord it over his team is sure to cause friction in a team full of superstars.

Therefore, I am voting for Tugga. A great batsman, perhaps the 3rd best bat of the last 20 years after Lara and Tendy, and an exceptional Captain.

Moreover he can roll his arm over too.

This means that Murali will most likely not be included - so be it, Akram would probably shore up the batting even further at 8, and would further give great variation and venom with his bowling.

Tugga at 6 for me.

Well, considering the votes cast it seems a little too late, but I do not think Imran should be in this side. I mean, the man began his test career in the mid 70s - I honestly do not think he belongs in a side with players whose career was mainly 86 onwards.
He did begin his career in 1970s but he was the

Also, his record is inflated post 86 do to the large number of NO that I believe he had during that time - and though his bowling average is exceptional, his wkts/test ratio needs a lot to be desired..
Rubbish.Because Imran's record got better & better in last 7-8 years of his career & he was the best allrounder in the world in 1980s(and arguably the best allrounder ever).And his wktstest ration in those few years doesn't look too good because he played many tests as a batsman alone.

And if he is to be captain - I do not think he would be a good captain of this side. The tendency to lord it over his team is sure to cause friction in a team full of superstars...
Imran is considered to be one of the allrounder(arguably the best ever),best bowlers & best captains ever.Many people chose him to captain their ALL TIME XIs even.So,I'm unable to understand that why would someone say that Imran won't prove to be a good captain of 1986-2006 World XI.

This means that Murali will most likely not be included - so be it, Akram would probably shore up the batting even further at 8, and would further give great variation and venom with his bowling.
Log on soon & u would see Murali getting more votes than Wasim Akram & others.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
grecian said:

Yea i had mentioned him earlier, but even though his stats were superb, it would be unfair to pick him or the other top-class South African fast bowler of the period Garth Le Roux even though they may have been greats ahead of the likes of the Pollock's, Adcock etc..

grecian

aussie said:
Thats the thing its very fair to believe that during the time South Africa were banned the great players that missed test cricket alot i.e Grame Pollock, Richards, Procter, Barlow, Van der Bijl, Le Roux, Rice would have been top test players.

An South African all-time team IMO would be stronger than India overall because of its all-round strength.

Sorry Aussie, missed that post:)