Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Does China have any hope with Cricket?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with the largest population in the world, certainly!

20 29.85%
  • Obviously Not!

8 11.94%
  • Maybe not by 2020, but a bit later, yea!

27 40.30%
  • I vision another Don Bradman like figure in the near future, who happens to eat with chopsticks.

8 11.94%
  • Forget Test status, they'll be winning the 2019 world cup!

4 5.97%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does China have hope in Cricket?

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

Does China have hope in Cricket?

According to the chinese government, they will try their level best to make China a test nation by 2020. The ICC and the Asian Cricket Council have also invested to $400,000 to promote cricket in China. So far 51 schools in Beijing and Shangai are playing cricket, with about 6,500 kids involved. Quite immpressive if you ask me. Even thought the idea of it becoming a test nation by 2020 is farfetched.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Their main goal is to beat India in a test match. They certainly have a chance by say 2030. They tend to excel at a sport if they really put their mind to it. But we'll see. In the end, it has to become popular, instead of just being forced, in order for it to really work.

I'd love to see a test match in Shanghai. I think it'd be great for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Like silentstriker mentioned, China usually excel at sports that they really put their minds and efforts into. They just have so many people and so much money that anything is possible, though I think it will take them more than 14 years to become a fully fledged test nation. This kind of expansion is very good for cricket.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Before that USA will become a test nation(sarcasm)

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Forget Test status, they'll be winning the 2019 world cup!

It's very possible to win a world cup without being a test calibre nation. Look at how far Kenya got recently . They were two games away from winning the WC, yet they are nowhere near Test calibre. They would need a lot of luck and some good streaking combined with a collective slump in a couple other nations...but thats a lot more likely than being a winner in the test arena. Or they could just repeatedly play England to gain confidence .

But if they try playing England in Tests...they wouldn't last two days. Its just too hard to keep it going for five days.

Test Status > ODI wins

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Yes. They're so damn efficient that if they really do set their mind and money to it, anything is possible. And when a test match is finally played in Shanghai, as SS said, I'm gonna do my best to be there to see it. The only real problem ATM is the lack of a proper ground (the one where we played was owned by the neighbouring Dulwich College, and doubles as a football ground), though once the government finds a place to build one, it'll be built pretty quickly anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Banned
    China have a very big chance of being a Test Playing Nation in 2020 it is such a big country no one could rule it out

I hope so.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    I'd love to see China becoming a test playing nation.But is a common chinese man taking any interrest in the sport?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh
    I'd love to see China becoming a test playing nation.But is a common chinese man taking any interrest in the sport?
    From my time in Shanghai (which ended a year ago, mind you), pretty much no one at all on the streets knew what it was. We had a grand total of one local chinese man playing in our club, although half the women's team were locals, initially roped in by expat boyfriends. Some of the local women were really quite good though, especially since they hadn't been playing for very long, and just recently a few of them took and passed an umpiring course. But yeah, no one in China really knows what it is. It isn't shown on TV, only the occasional (Lara's 400*, for example) cricket gets more than a few sentences in the local (English language) newspaper. Our ground was right next to a large supermarket, and we'd have locals going by on their bikes stopping for up to 10, 15 minutes, just leaning on the fence, no doubt wondering what the hell we were doing. They were good for retrieving sixes, at least.

It depends on how ICC helps to promote the game there..if an american game like basketball can end having a lot of foreign superstars in NBA (Dirk, Yao, Parker, Ginobli), its possible for cricket too...although basketball did have Michael Jordan helping spread the game...
    OH HE HATE ME

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    china naa
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ash chaulk
    china naa
    A man with few words..

anyway China with that the world's largest poplulation have a mighty big chance of succeding in cricket, maybe not by 2020 but they would be there by 2030.. Up there with the best i would assume..
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Banned
    Chaulky bit harsh give em a chance

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I hope so.

I have to agree, with that sort of a population they could be a fantastic boost to the game as a whole.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information