• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does China have hope in Cricket?

Does China have any hope with Cricket?

• Yes, with the largest population in the world, certainly!

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Obviously Not!

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Maybe not by 2020, but a bit later, yea!

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I vision another Don Bradman like figure in the near future, who happens to eat with chopsticks.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Forget Test status, they'll be winning the 2019 world cup!

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

Steulen

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yay. Great. Another country with appalling human rights records to play cricket.
The first Chinese ODI team will probably be chained to some railway-under-construction after losing to Afghanistan by 200 runs.

Not something to look forward to.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yay. Great. Another country with appalling human rights records to play cricket.
Yet they are hosting the Olympics :laugh:

Nah, China, good luck to them.. The players don't decide the countries human rights record..

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
A population of about 1.3billion people, youve got to think that there going to be able to find 11 decent players with $400k and more and more schools taking interest, you shouldnt rule this out.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yeah, I'd prefer them to stop executing more people than all the other countries put together, first.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
A great deal. Look at Zimbabwe.
The reason Zimbabwe lost Test status was not because of human rights or any other such "internal affairs". They lost Test status because they were horrible, due to most of their quality players being unwilling to play for them. I think China would make all of their best players play for them so I don't think they'll have any such similar problem.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
shortpitched713 said:
The reason Zimbabwe lost Test status was not because of human rights or any other such "internal affairs". They lost Test status because they were horrible, due to most of their quality players being unwilling to play for them. I think China would make all of their best players play for them so I don't think they'll have any such similar problem.
That's right, they'll make them play whether they like it or not.

shortpitched713

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
That's right, they'll make them play whether they like it or not.
I'm not saying its a good thing, or that I agree with it, but I'm saying its got nothing to do with whether they should be allowed to play cricket.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
shortpitched713 said:
I'm not saying its a good thing, or that I agree with it, but I'm saying its got nothing to do with whether they should be allowed to play cricket.
Like it or not, politics is, and always has been, a part of sport. Sport can play such a large role in the national identity of a nation, of course politics will have an effect on it. I certainly don't think China's human rights record should be disregarded if they're to play cricket, just as Zimbabwe's shouldn't and South Africa's wasn't.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I suppose I agree with you up to a certain extent. South Africa during apartheid is one example I would consider. For the most part though, if the ICC really cares about expanding cricket throughout the globe, they're going to have to be more inclusive rather than less. I think its counterproductive to this aim to pick and chose teams based on their human rights record, if the country is really commited to promoting cricket in its borders.

By the way as a side question, does anyone know whether South Africa were allowed to play in the Olympics during the apartheid era?

Slow Love™

International Captain
shortpitched713 said:
By the way as a side question, does anyone know whether South Africa were allowed to play in the Olympics during the apartheid era?
They weren't (well, from the 70's, at least, when global opposition became so pronounced). I think they were re-admitted at roughly around the same time the cricket team was.

Beleg

International Regular
eh, if we make human rights as a pre-requisite of qualifying to play cricket then the only country eligible would be Vatican.*

* - nonwithstanding the discovery of altar bo-- ... nevermind.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I know they have a big population and all, but China becoming a test nation?

Doesn't work for me, i can never see it happening.

cameeel

International Captain
Where are they going to get good fast bowlers from? China aren't exactly known for having a tall population (Yao Ming excepted)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
cameeel said:
Where are they going to get good fast bowlers from? China aren't exactly known for having a tall population (Yao Ming excepted)

I present exhibit 1: Malcolm Marshall.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
Its changing

Stephen Morgan, an economics professor at the University of Melbourne, found that the average Chinese 17-year-old boy was 2.7 inches taller in 1995 than in 1955. The diet of the average Chinese child, especially in the cities and along the coast, improved dramatically after free market reforms began in 1978.

In contrast, "Americans have not grown (in height) in 25 years,"