• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test captains

Xuhaib

International Coach
We have had all sorts of battles at CW i thought this one might be intresting.

I have come up with a list of 20

1-Jardine
2-Bradman
3-Clive
4-Imran
5-Coney
6-Worrel
7-Benaud
8-Brearley
9-Ganguly
10-Hussain
11-S.Waugh
12-Ranatunga
13-Azharuddin
14-Fleming
15-Cronje
16-Sobers
17-Viv
18-Mak Taylor
19-Border
20-Vaughan

We have to get 32 names atleast to start the competition, also i would appreciate if somebody could voluanteer to run the competition as my exams are starting from tuesday so i may not get the time to run it myself.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
No Ponting? I know many people don't consider him to be the best, but he should be in there solely for his winning record.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
But Ponting's winning record is hardly down to being a great captain (which he isnt) its down to being part of a very good team

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would be able to run this competition if it is necessary Xuhaib. Should be interesting.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
33/3from3.3 said:
But Ponting's winning record is hardly down to being a great captain (which he isnt) its down to being part of a very good team
I realize that, but the win/lose is so good he deserves a spot in the top 32. Whether he deserves to make it to the next round or not is a different story.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Perm said:
I would be able to run this competition if it is necessary Xuhaib. Should be interesting.
Yes go ahead Perm, but first we need to complete 32 names which means still 12 names to go.

oz_fan

International Regular
Shaun Pollock
While not great tactically he had a very good record as captain.
14 wins 5 losses 7 draws
Batting average of 42 (2 centuries)
Bowling average of 21.36 (4 five-fers)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
oz_fan said:
Shaun Pollock
While not great tactically he had a very good record as captain.
14 wins 5 losses 7 draws
Batting average of 42 (2 centuries)
Bowling average of 21.36 (4 five-fers)
Yep, he has one on the best result records in history.

Id like to add Len Hutton and Ray Illingworth.

Both regained the Ashes and Hutton was Englands 1st pro captain. In fact Hutton should have at least made the semis of the Battle of the Englishmen and could even have won it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Chappell is arguably Australia's best ever captain. Certainly up there with Benaud and Taylor. He should be in the 32.