• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stephen Fleming

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming averages 40.15 in test cricket with 9 centuries and 41 half-centuries. Considering he spends half his time batting on New Zealand pitches, do you think that if he had converted more of those half centuries in to centuries he would have been considered as one of the batting greats in the last 20-30 years?

Laurrz

International Debutant
i think if he were able to convert those half tons to tons then he would be a great player...but the fact that he can't means he isn;t

well that seemed like an un useful post :laugh: :wacko:

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
hahhahah Laury :laugh:

Flem obviously has the ability, just not the concentration.

But that's ok. I forgive him cos he's ***y :wub:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tim said:
Fleming averages 40.15 in test cricket with 9 centuries and 41 half-centuries. Considering he spends half his time batting on New Zealand pitches, do you think that if he had converted more of those half centuries in to centuries he would have been considered as one of the batting greats in the last 20-30 years?

Any decent batsman that can convert all his half centuries to centuries would automatically become an all time great.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
JF. said:
hahhahah Laury :laugh:

Flem obviously has the ability, just not the concentration.

But that's ok. I forgive him cos he's ***y :wub:
Is that you, Stephen? :laugh:
I like Fleming as a batsman. I watch international matches whenever Foxtell's around and he always impresses me. However, even his flourishing batting is overshone by his captaincy, which is admittedly excellent.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The old stats kinda speak for themselves.

He averages five runs more, and has scored seven of his nine centuries overseas, despite playing just about the same number of tests home and away (give or take a few).

Maybe we're right in not having home tests? :D

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Is there any way of finding out a batsman's median score rather than their average? Because I wouldn't mind betting that Fleming's median wouldn't be too far off the likes of Inzi, Ponting etc

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Three double centuries too, one of which would almost certainly have been a triple if he hadn't declared. One in every three times he gets 100 he goes on to double it....more of the same info just spat out in anonther way I guess but it still sounds impressive.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
The old stats kinda speak for themselves.

He averages five runs more, and has scored seven of his nine centuries overseas, despite playing just about the same number of tests home and away (give or take a few).

Maybe we're right in not having home tests? :D
Craig said:
Some mighty fine sherlocking there Voltman.
Maybe, but not accurate.
The difference between average in home and away tests is actually far greater than mentioned.
It is
Home- 32.98
Away- 46.26

A difference of over 13

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Flemers is a great player. He could be a better player, take his 262* against the Seth Africans in April, that was him at his best. It sure is a shame that he doesnt have a better conversion rate but he is in my book consistent

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
chooka_nick said:
Is that you, Stephen? :laugh:
I like Fleming as a batsman. I watch international matches whenever Foxtell's around and he always impresses me. However, even his flourishing batting is overshone by his captaincy, which is admittedly excellent.
Intriguing - most Aussies won't recognise his ability with the bat. Guess the trans-tasman rivalry gets in the way :dry: His cover drive is exquisite but those straight sixes always get me. He thumps the hell out of it then just casually stands there ... like... doesn't everyone do this? :wacko:

But his captaincy is to die for. Wish we had him :dry:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JF. said:
His cover drive is exquisite but those straight sixes always get me. He thumps the hell out of it then just casually stands there ... like... doesn't everyone do this? :wacko:

But his captaincy is to die for. Wish we had him :dry:
Couldn't agree more about his batting, when he plays those cover drives it is absolutely breath taking how beautiful the shot is. And on occasion when he really feels like hitting the ball he can play some jaw dropping innings (like this) where he is hitting sixes so effortlessly by just swinging through the line. And the way he stands there so casually and admires his shot is pretty good too, just a pity he couldn't concentrate harder and convert more of those 41 Test 50's.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Sir Redman said:
Is there any way of finding out a batsman's median score rather than their average? Because I wouldn't mind betting that Fleming's median wouldn't be too far off the likes of Inzi, Ponting etc
Well. I doubt how useful it is as measurement, since it effectively cuts off the top half of innings, but anyway (only completed innings considered):

Bradman 48.5
Hayden 34
Dravid 33
Lara 31
Kallis 28
Trescothick 28
Ponting 27
Tendulkar 27
Inzamam 26
Langer 26
Fleming 24 (away 27)
Thorpe 20

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming is a very good cricketer :D
im really impresssed by him, esp from what I saw on first hand in the 20/20's in england
really good guy to, Rikki Wessels injured himself badly(he's from the opposition) and Fleming was the first man to help him, and take him off the field with a brancard. :)

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Well. I doubt how useful it is as measurement, since it effectively cuts off the top half of innings, but anyway (only completed innings considered):

Bradman 48.5
Hayden 34
Dravid 33
Lara 31
Kallis 28
Trescothick 28
Ponting 27
Tendulkar 27
Inzamam 26
Langer 26
Fleming 24 (away 27)
Thorpe 20
Where'd you get that from? Don't tell me you went through everyones batting lists and did it yourself :blink:

Anyway, yeah I know it's largely worthless when determining how good a batsman is, because obviously one of the things that is the mark of a good batsman is their ability to go on to big scores, but I was just interested in seeing how big the difference was between Fleming and the rest of the world using median score compared to their averages (what a total ****-up of a sentence 8-)). Good work.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Sir Redman said:
Where'd you get that from? Don't tell me you went through everyones batting lists and did it yourself :blink:
No, I copied the batting lists and made a spreadsheet to do it. Took about 10 minutes. :)