• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Declining umpiring standards

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
I had not seen a cricket match for over two years before yesterday when I caught the Australia-India match at my friend's place. But I get the feeling that the umpiring standards have really hit rock bottom. We also had the whole Darrel Hair controvery last month. Well anyway, it was a crucial match but I wonder what would have happened if all the decisions given were correct.

1. Haddin given not out by the THIRD umpire, when Harbhajan hit the stumps with his wrist, and only letting the ball go after impact.

2. Tendulkar given out caught behind to a ball that hit his shoulder. If not for his animated reaction, he would not have been called back. But at least justice prevailed.

3. Dhoni given out off a Brett Lee no-ball.

4. Harbhajan given out caught behind when the ball clearly missed his bat.

Do you guys think umpiring standards have come down? What can be done to improve this? I think cricket is the sport where umpires make the most mistakes.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprisingly all these are against India .....had it not been for these we might've of been cleared of the chokers tag this time.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I'm not entirely sure that standards have slipped, as much as our ability to tell when they're wrong has become manifestly greater.

I'd like to see a better incorporation of technology where it's helpful, but as we've all seen, opinions are very split on this, and we don't want to much intrusion that affects the pace of a game.

What I DO think we'd all like to see is a much larger international panel of quality umpires, so that when terrible calls are made (repeatedly, as opposed to the rare abberation), umpires can be judged on form, ability and level of concentration as players are. Unfortunately, given that it's a profession that cops a lot of flak, this is going to be hard to achieve, as it's not really a profession a lot of people are going to be itching to be part of.

Maybe a better incorporation of technology that could lead to less of the egregious decisions passing through could alleviate that, I don't know. I do believe that players certainly need to show a greater sense of respect for the umpire's decisions out on the field than they currently do.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
However poor the standards might appear, they are higher than they've ever been. It's an impossibly complicated game to adjudicate. Even with endless replays it's often impossible to be 100% sure on many decisions.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Turbinator said:
Surprisingly all these are against India .....had it not been for these we might've of been cleared of the chokers tag this time.
We have the "chokers" tag?
I always thought we were just the "not good enough" team...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Turbinator said:
How exactly is number 2 against India? 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sorry, India will always be the best at choking. We can never be the best at cricket, so this is a good second prize, I suppose.

Even with umpiring biased towards us, I doubt we could be anything but uber-chokers.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
How exactly is number 2 against India? 8-)
If Sachin had not been called back you never know....the outcome of the game wud've been different.........plus he wasted a few balls and then got out.....maybe if those few balls had been saved, the pressure on the tailenders wud've been less.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Turbinator said:
If Sachin had not been called back you never know....the outcome of the game wud've been different.........plus he wasted a few balls and then got out.....maybe if those few balls had been saved, the pressure on the tailenders wud've been less.

WTF? Are you actually an idiot or just pretending to be one?

We didn't lose the match because of the number of balls left in the game. We were all out with plenty of time to spare.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
WTF? Are you actually an idiot or just pretending to be one?

We didn't lose the match because of the number of balls left in the game. We were all out with plenty of time to spare.
You never know with a BIT more time to spare we might've not lost.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Turbinator said:
So you think Sachin Tendulkar being given out when he wasn't out was a good thing for India? Sorry, but that's just idiotic. Poor attempt at justification there.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Turbinator said:
You never know with a BIT more time to spare we might've not lost.
India had a minimum of 37 balls to get 20 runs when the final wicket fell.

You need to try harder than that to justify your initial mistake.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
I'm not entirely sure that standards have slipped, as much as our ability to tell when they're wrong has become manifestly greater.
that's exactly what has happened...

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
giuys, I'm not talking about India getting the bad end of the bargain. It happened with India yesterday, it could have happened with any team really.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
India had a minimum of 37 balls to get 20 runs when the final wicket fell.

You need to try harder than that to justify your initial mistake.
Dude relax i was just being sarcastic.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Turbinator said:
Dude relax i was just being sarcastic.
Sorry. I get so uptight sometimes and take internet forums incredibly seriously. It's a serious problem I have, yes, but at least I'm willing to admit it. And maybe I'll eventually gather the courage to seek help.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Turbinator said:
So, if Sachin used up less balls, RP would have had more to get the runs....hmmmm...wokaaaaaaayyyyyy