• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Analyzing Sehwag's batting

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I had very little respect for Sehwag as a batsman in 2002 when people actually started talking about him.
It did not change until the 2004 series against Pakistan.
I have had this discussion countless times with a friend and both of us had reservations about him initially but gradually we have both come to regard him as a great test opener.
Yes has has some technical flaws, some serious ones, but I think his gift which is his fantastic hand eye co ordination far outweighs those flaws in most conditions and allows him to maintain an average of over 50.
Yes he will struggle under unfriendly conditions, when the ball is seaming around a little bit, but so will more than 85 % of today's batsmen.
When the ball starts seaming around laterally, I have seen Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Katich, Younis, Yousuf, Sehwag, Pieterson all struggle. And I think all of them average over 50 in test cricket.
So its not a big deal really, they are called unfriendly conditions for a reason :P

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He cant play the incoming deliveries from a good length that well. It is obvious
That's why cricket needs more Akrams, Vaases, Reids and Brackens. Tight lengths, big inswingers and deadly accuracy, and we are missing them big time now.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I had very little respect for Sehwag as a batsman in 2002 when people actually started talking about him.
It did not change until the 2004 series against Pakistan.
I have had this discussion countless times with a friend and both of us had reservations about him initially but gradually we have both come to regard him as a great test opener.
Yes has has some technical flaws, some serious ones, but I think his gift which is his fantastic hand eye co ordination far outweighs those flaws in most conditions and allows him to maintain an average of over 50.
Yes he will struggle under unfriendly conditions, when the ball is seaming around a little bit, but so will more than 85 % of today's batsmen.
When the ball starts seaming around laterally, I have seen Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Katich, Younis, Yousuf, Sehwag, Pieterson all struggle. And I think all of them average over 50 in test cricket.
So its not a big deal really, they are called unfriendly conditions for a reason :P
85% will struggle. But the 15% who show the adability are the great batsmen.

On Katich & KP, they have done well in bowler friendly conditions againts quality pace attacks.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
KP has not done well in the subcontinent.
Ha. Firsly not sure how you are equating runs in the sub-continent againts runs vs quality pace attacks.

But Indeed. Averaging 40 in IND is pretty poor. You probably where in mars when scored that brillaint 144 last winter as well.

His failure in SRI 07/08 was nothing more than ablimp. He got some fantastic deleveries rather than any struggles technically or anything. Especially a ball Malinga got him with in the final test:

cricinfo said:
Malinga to Pietersen, OUT, what a peach ... a snorter than cuts back from short of a length, Pietersen jerks back in a bid to get out of the line, off his feet, and Daryl Harper decides that it flicked his glove on the way through. That was as close to unplayable as you can get.
KP batting againts Warne & Murali is second only Brian Lara, so you oughta chill son..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He didn't do so well in Pakistan either as I remember it, but fair call on India last year

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
85% will struggle. But the 15% who show the adability are the great batsmen.

On Katich & KP, they have done well in bowler friendly conditions againts quality pace attacks.

I have seen KP struggle in seaming conditions at home, against Asif, against SA. Not to say he cant score in them, he plays test matches he will probably score a century. Same with Katich.

But if you are only going to consider the top 15% as the greats, then thats fair enough but its a very high standard and many of today's greats, averaging over 50 will struggle to make it to that list, including the names I mentioned.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't do so well in Pakistan either as I remember it, but fair call on India last year
Batted better than his average suggested tbf in that series. Plus PAK beat us in 05 with pace & reverse swing rather than spin.

Black_Warrior said:
I have seen KP struggle in seaming conditions at home, against Asif, against SA. Not to say he cant score in them, he plays test matches he will probably score a century.
Well technically the Oval 06 test when Asif ducked KP. He scored a hot 96 in the second innings. Although you could argue, the pitch flattened out by then.

He definately handled the SA quicks very well also last year, plus his batting vs AUS 05 & 06/07. S0 KP is pretty much very clear when its comes againts quality pace attacks.

Black_Warrior said:
Same with Katich.
Katich had his struggles indeed vs AUS in 05 Ashes. But since he has returned he has scored runs in ENG & SA againts the moving ball, so he also is safe.

Black_Warrior said:
But if you are only going to consider the top 15% as the greats, then thats fair enough but its a very high standard and many of today's greats, averaging over 50 will struggle to make it to that list, including the names I mentioned.
True. But how small the 15/10/20 % is those few guys who have showed adaptability in this 2000s era to score tough runs againts top attacks in difficult conditons - rather not when the pitch is flat. For eg Ponting, Dravid, Sangakkara, KP, Hayden, Kallis, Chanderpaul, Langer etc etc...they are the very good/excellent/great batsmen.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha. Firsly not sure how you are equating runs in the sub-continent againts runs vs quality pace attacks.
Runs against quality spin value less than tha of quality pace?

But Indeed. Averaging 40 in IND is pretty poor. You probably where in mars when scored that brillaint 144 last winter as well.

His failure in SRI 07/08 was nothing more than ablimp. He got some fantastic deleveries rather than any struggles technically or anything. Especially a ball Malinga got him with in the final test:
He was worked over by Lankans, because he have stirred them up with his sledging. Spinners spun that little bit more and pacers were that 3-4k faster at him. It was a massive flop becuase his technique was opened up like a can by Vaas, Malinga and particularly Murali. All five dismissals barring one against Malinga, was due to poor technique and Vaas and Murali exploiting it.

KP batting againts Warne & Murali is second only Brian Lara, so you oughta chill son..
Probably you have not seen Sidhu, Azhar, Ganguly, Ranatunga play these guys.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Runs against quality spin value less than tha of quality pace?.
No. Although runs againts a qualtiy pace attack i.e (McGrath/Gillespie/Kasper on seamer is slightly harder than vs Kumble/Harbhajan on a Mumbai turner.

But my intial point was strictly about runs vs the quality pacers though.

He was worked over by Lankans, because he have stirred them up with his sledging. Spinners spun that little bit more and pacers were that 3-4k faster at him. It was a massive flop becuase his technique was opened up like a can by Vaas, Malinga and particularly Murali. All five dismissals barring one against Malinga, was due to poor technique and Vaas and Murali exploiting it.
The sledging is true. But i disagree that KP was exposed technically, his technique is perfect per se. But the only problems he ever has is mental (thats why the sledging sort of worked, why Yubraj got him LBW a few times in IND last winter & why he keeps holding out stupidly to joke spinenrs like Harris). KP got out to good balls in that series almost all the time.

In 06 when your guys toured ENG. Murali & Vaas where handled very well. Thats why i'd say what happened in SRI 07/08 was basically a blimp. How much batsmen ever reverse sweep Murali for 6??

Probably you have not seen Sidhu, Azhar, Ganguly, Ranatunga play these guys.
Have seen Sidhu & Azhar play Warne - not Murali. The domination is comparable indeed. But hey smoked hollywood in 98 given as the Warne/Murali debate goes, since he was the a one-man attack then (no McGrath, Fleming, Gillespie). In those conditions he could not contain those batsmen.

Ganguly never smoked Warne in the series i saw 98, 99/00, 01 & 04, KP defiantely played Warne better than him. Saw Ganguly play Murali in 05 & 08, KP was better againts Murali.

Ranatunga hmmm, smoked Warne in 96 WC Final yea. While my memory of the 99 AUS to SRI was that Warne had most of SRI batsmen in check.

The only other batsmen who can really compare to dominating Warne for example like KP & Lara was Saleem Malik in 94.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
True. But how small the 15/10/20 % is those few guys who have showed adaptability in this 2000s era to score tough runs againts top attacks in difficult conditons - rather not when the pitch is flat. For eg Ponting, Dravid, Sangakkara, KP, Hayden, Kallis, Chanderpaul, Langer etc etc...they are the very good/excellent/great batsmen.
You are going to have to rephrase that. I missed your point!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Uncluttered, simple approach to batting, complete absence of fear of failure, no respect for line or lineage, fabulous hands, eyes and co-ordination between the two and a better technique than he is given credit for.

Sir Alex

Banned

Indian bowling attack is among the best at home, especially the spinners.

Subcontinent is not just about India mate. You are fooling yourselves. Look at his performances in Pakistan and Sri Lanka as well. :)

Also his performance against Warne then also must have been a fluke I guess. Considering how he was found out by Piyush chawla (in the ODIs) during India's tour to england in 07 and then even Yuvraj singh troubled him.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Subcontinent is not just about India mate. You are fooling yourselves. Look at his performances in Pakistan and Sri Lanka as well. :)
Broadly speaking in terms of historical tradition, Pakistan is not equable with India and Sri Lanka. Traditionally the latter two are spin-havens; traditionally Pakistani decks offer nothing to bowlers of any kind and success there depends on swing (far more often the reverse than conventional variety).

Of course of late the Indian deck that turns properly has been a rare thing, and decks in India have tended to conform more to the Pakistani tradition than their own.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
cricket with balls sehwagology - join sehwagology

Nice blog, that one.

Love this all time XI of JRod as well..

The Sehwagology XI
And he sent his only sons.

11 men with rock hard testicles, and great hand eye co-ordination.

And he said, they will carve, they will plunder, and you will applaud.

Victor Trumper, he shall go in early, and reek havoc on the bowlers.
Michael Slater, he shall jump around like a virgin in hell, and reek havoc in the change room.
Viv Richards, he shall be cooler than anyone you know, or don’t know.
Mark Waugh, he shall make mullets and dandruff ads palatable, whilst flicking one off his pads.
Sanath Jayasuriya, he shall be a pirate, and conquer the 7 seas.
Keith Miller, he shall be your superhero.
Adam Gilchrist, he shall release a plague of locusts on your ass.
Ian Botham, he shall drink the opposition under the table.
Kapil Dev, he shall dance for us.
Shahid Afridi, he shall wreak havoc and destruction, on himself.
Wasim Akram, he shall be faster than you can see.

And on the 5th day, they rest.

That last line is so true.. :laugh:

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I can imagine if Sehwag really got going during an ODI against a minnow on a flat track, he could smash the current highest score record and set a new one that may never ever be broken.

Sir Alex

Banned
Broadly speaking in terms of historical tradition, Pakistan is not equable with India and Sri Lanka. Traditionally the latter two are spin-havens; traditionally Pakistani decks offer nothing to bowlers of any kind and success there depends on swing (far more often the reverse than conventional variety).

Of course of late the Indian deck that turns properly has been a rare thing, and decks in India have tended to conform more to the Pakistani tradition than their own.
I think you have generalised it a bit. The tracks in north India like Mohali (of the 90s) and Kolkota (again early ones) except Delhi did resemble the pitches in Pakistan. It is just that India did not have the bowlers to utilise them. You may also check the number of Pakistani batsmen who have done well in india and vice versa and this is mainly because of the easiness of adaptability in the two countries.

Anyway what I was trying to say is that Pietersen has by and large struggled against quality spin bowling in assisting conditions. His figures in Sri Lanka and Pakistan are good proof of that also barring one hundred on a easy track, he has struggled in India too.