• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick two opening Bowlers for the 1986-2006 World test XI

Pick TWO opening bowlers for the 1986-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slifer

International Captain
Wow never realised so many people had so much respect for Ambrose. Ne way I'll go with Marshall and the GREAT Glenn Mcgrath.

JBH001

International Regular
Finally a difficult and thought provoking poll!

Some really difficult choices...

Right off the bat, I dislike including Marshall and Hadlee etc as I consider them to be part of the previous era, I really want to pick players who began their careers and if possible had their peaks post 86. All of our team so far is comprised of players who began or had the majority of their career after 86 and I would like to stay within than group. So that narrows it down to Donald, Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, McGrath and Walsh. Now....

(I really don't know) :D

I think Waqar faded too much post 96 and especially post 99 to be considered over the length of his career, and Walsh is not really in the top echelon despite his later career.

So I have to choose between Donald (who is getting far too few votes - great wkts/test, avg and SR) and Wasim and Ambrose and McGrath.

I am leaning toward an opening attack of Donald and Wasim but will decide later. :)
(Donald and Wasim do conjure up a good combination though...)

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Could anyone please clarify this situation for me ? :

Fratboy said:
I can't figure out why Donald is ignored by so many when he has virtually the same average and SR as Marshall, only over more tests, and as part of a lesser attack than the West indies.

aussie tragic

International Captain
It's still early, but it looks like Ambrose and McGrath will be at # 10 and # 11.

Shame that Marshall's not first, but that's democracy for you and he still has a shot as the 4th bowler :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ambrose & McGrath get my vote.

Although I'm a huge fan of what Waqar did...tough not voting for him. But McGrath is the best and Ambrose was sensational.

JBH001

International Regular
Well I went for Wasim and Donald - although I pressed the OK key without keying in Donald, I had only selected Wasim, and now I can not go back and pick Donald.

If you guys can do something about this, cheers - if not, no real worries I guess as it looks like that other lean, mean opening pair of McGrath and Ambrose will go through.

(Still, it would be nice if Donald had 5 votes)

bagapath

International Captain
looks like ambrose and mcgrath are going to make it!!!

before we get to select no.6 and no.11, pl take a look at this.

ambrose averages about 4 wickets per test
mcgrath averages about 4.5 wickets per test
warne averages about 4.5 wickets per test

I am rounding off the numbers to the lower half point to the decimal (english translation, someone??). meaning if warne averages > 4.5 and < 5, I am going for 4.5

if you want to take 20 wickets per test and bowl out the opposition every time, i strongly recommend that we select imran at 6 (4 wickets per test) and murali at 11 (6 wickets per test).

i am getting desperate here....

no malcolm marshall... no richard hadlee... what's happening guys?????

aussie tragic

International Captain
With only a few hours to go 'toll poll closing, it looks like McGrath and Ambrose will share the new ball. Now onto the all important # 6 position :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
After just watching a dvd of the 1992/93 Aus vs. WI series again, its hard to argue against Ambrose. He was ridiculously brilliant taking 33 wickets at 16.42, and obviously who can forget that spell of 7-1.

Vicious bowler. Definitely miss watching him bowl.

Last edited: