• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni for Captain?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"Dhoni, to my mind, has the ability to bring players together... because of the diversity in India, our captain has to be someone who can 'unite' everybody..."

-Kapil Dev

If Dhoni ever becomes the captain, I will have to start rooting for Pakistan in India vs Pakistan matches.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
"Dhoni, to my mind, has the ability to bring players together... because of the diversity in India, our captain has to be someone who can 'unite' everybody..."

-Kapil Dev

If Dhoni ever becomes the captain, I will have to start rooting for Pakistan in India vs Pakistan matches.
You never know, with experience he might become one of the better options. Although, this sounds a bit like when people wanted Afridi as captain.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
You never know, with experience he might become one of the better options. Although, this sounds a bit like when people wanted Afridi as captain.

Dhoni as captain...India would be 100/0 after six overs. And 120 all out after ten.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:

Please, a guy who charges halfway down the track TWICE when they needed some solid defensive batting, and then complains it was 'pressure' that made him do it...does not deserve to be captain. I would have dropped him for a year as punishment for that shot.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Dhoni as captain...India would be 100/0 after six overs. And 120 all out after ten.
Dhoni: Alright boys. We need 100 to win, and 50 overs in the day's play. I'll open the innings, and Irfan is coming with me.
*Both out after 2 overs*
*Dravid and Sachin walk in, guide the team home with 25 overs to spare*
Sachin: Yay, we won. Good win by us. Right Dhoni bhai?
Dhoni: GOOD WIN?? WHAT WERE YOU DOING OUT THERE???
Sachin: What?? We won!
Dhoni: HOW WERE YOU BATTING?? Thats it, I warned you last time! 35 off 50?? THIS ISN"T A TEST MATCH!! Next time I see you hitting no fours off an over or not slogging the part timer for six your OUT OF THE TEAM!!! Same with you Dravid! 50 off 61??? MY GRANDMA COULD SCORE QUICKER!!

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I have no idea whether Dhoni has any captaincy experience, and given his place in the Test side isn't quite cemented yet, I don't think he'd be a contender for captaincy in the near future. Who knows though, he could yet develop into captaincy material although it's rare to see a regular wicketkeeper-captain.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
No way! Being a wicketkeeper, frontline batsman and captain will take a lot out of him. That's why you don't find the best in the business doing all three. He's a fantastic player, good enough to last more than a few years in the team, but not the right choice as a regular captain.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni has got good leadership skills already, the guy has great attitude, great work ethic and popular. I think he can be be a great captain.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Dhoni captaining a side potentially including Tendulkar and Dravid is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. If I was either of those two I'd probably be offended to be captained by a guy with no brain! :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Barney Rubble said:
Dhoni captaining a side potentially including Tendulkar and Dravid is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. If I was either of those two I'd probably be offended to be captained by a guy with no brain! :laugh:

Agreed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
Dhoni has got good leadership skills already, the guy has great attitude, great work ethic and popular. I think he can be be a great captain.

Huh? Mumbai test...great work ethic, huh?

What leadership skills?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Huh? Mumbai test...great work ethic, huh?

What leadership skills?
Dude, Kapildev who won our only worldcup in 1983 was dropped for playing a reckless shot.

Beside what had work ethic got to do with a stupid shot which almost every cricketer has playe at some point in his career.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I doubt that they would be offended considering that they both played under a guy called Md. Azharuddin who really had no brain.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
Dude, Kapildev who won our only worldcup in 1983 was dropped for playing a reckless shot.
And Dhoni should have been dropped too. For a year.

Sanz said:
Beside what had work ethic got to do with a stupid shot which almost every cricketer has playe at some point in his career.
Playing it TWICE shows that he indeed has no brain.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Sanz said:
I doubt that they would be offended considering that they both played under a guy called Md. Azharuddin who really had no brain.
How'd you know they weren't offended back then? ;)

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Playing it TWICE shows that he indeed has no brain.
So every other successful batsman in the history of cricket has played a maximum of one stupid shot?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
So every other successful batsman in the history of cricket has played a maximum of one stupid shot?

I am hard pressed to think of a successful batsman who has played two consecutive shots in that manner (charging down a pitch) in the fourth innings when the team situation warrants defense.