• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni for Captain?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Fratboy said:
Its not even close when it comes to that mate. Dhoni has demonstrated an ability to buckle down and play for time like he did in the 2nd ODI vs Pakistan in Abu Dhabi (?). I can't recall Afridi having done that ever.
You forgot the Mumbai test match where Dhoni buckled down against Shaun Udal and showed great resolve.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
TT Boy said:
You forgot the Mumbai test match where Dhoni buckled down against Shaun Udal and showed great resolve.
Ah, sarcasm. Lowest form of wit.

Perhaps you missed this part:

fratboy said:
So far, Dhoni has demonstrated the presence of a better cricket brain than Afridi. His last few innings however leave much to be desired.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Is Dravid actually going anywhere, anytime soon?

Is it even clear that Dhoni will be in the team longer than Dravid?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Fratboy said:
And since then ?
Since then he has troubled some of the best ODI batsmen of our time with his 80 mph leg spinners. Played some other decent innings of note in tests where he's had to restrain himself. His opening partnership with wasti of 156 comes to mind during the Asian test chamionship.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
pietersenrocks said:
nightprowler10 Dhoni have chase down the target of 299 against Sri-Lanka in Jaipur last year.That innings was brilliant.
When did I say he isn't? I'm just saying there isn't enough to prove that he has a better cricketing mind than Afridi, and like I said, its ridiculous to argue about that.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
nightprowler10 said:
Since then he has troubled some of the best ODI batsmen of our time with his 80 mph leg spinners. Played some other decent innings of note in tests where he's had to restrain himself. His opening partnership with wasti of 156 comes to mind during the Asian test chamionship.
I don't rate Afridi any more or less than Dhoni in tests at all. In ODIs however, so far Dhoni has been the better player. He's shown an increasing propensity to throw away his wicket of late, but atleast he's averaged 45+ doing it besides keeping wicket.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Fratboy said:
I don't rate Afridi any more or less than Dhoni in tests at all. In ODIs however, so far Dhoni has been the better player. He's shown an increasing propensity to throw away his wicket of late, but atleast he's averaged 45+ doing it besides keeping wicket.
I thought the discussion was about who's got a better cricketing brain.

Anyhoo...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid's got many years left in him. When he goes it could go to anyone. Yuvi would probably be the favourite since Kaif has lost favour with the selectors in the past 18 months and Sehwag would be 30+ when Dravid retires I'd imagine (assuming Dravid isn't sacked as skipper).

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
nightprowler10 said:
I thought the discussion was about who's got a better cricketing brain.

Anyhoo...
Well, I didn't object when you brought in Afridi's bowling into the other discussion.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
TT Boy said:
And the highest form of intelligence...
Well, if you say so. I'd expect an intelligent person to read an entire post if he's going to be making wisecracks. I'm sure you won't disappoint in future.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Fratboy said:
Well, I didn't object when you brought in Afridi's bowling into the other discussion.
What other discussion? When did I ever make this discussion about their batting ability? I've said from the start that I'm talking about their worth to their teams as cricketers.