• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* SA v Bangladesh Test Series

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well, I thought it was time that this series had its own thread.

I reckon this will be even less competitive than the other two on at the minute. But more so than the Aus/Pak 2nd Test.

Well done Graeme Smith for the 200 and Gary Kirsten for hitting 100s against all nine Test Nations.

And also to Makhaya "Only picked because he's Black" Ntini. 10-5-13-3, ripping out the best batsmen in the side.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Makhaya Ntini is a good bowler. better than that other guy... erm whats his face... oh dear... young blonde quick bowler, the inconsistent one.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a good hit out for South Africa, lets a few players find some form, as well as get the stats up.
We all know South Africa will win easily, but id like to see bangladesh put up more of a challenge than what they have so far. They seem to lose interest when they start to get thrashed.

Andre

International Regular
Ntini is a particluarly underrated bowler. I could not believe that he did not get first use of the new ball. He was esially the pick of the bowlers vs Australia.

2 other things: why is Terbrugge in the Test but not ODI team? I feel hes better suited to the shorter form of the game.

What has happened to Neil McKenzie? Best all-round batsman vs Australia, seems to have severly fallen out of favour with new team Omar Henry/Eric Simmons. Or more so, has he fallen of the face of the earth? With all due respect to Ashwell Prince, McKenzie is quality and should be there for him.

Simon

He was the captain of the South African A team that played Australia A a month or so ago, he failed in that series pretty badly by the look of things.
Maybe he is just lacking confidence.
But i do agree McKenzie is the future of the SAF batting line up, he is a huge talent, they need to give him a bit more of a go however.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wish SA had batted again, and got a few more runs - it would make a change for Bangladesh to lose by a volume of runs rather than by an innings!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice to see the 'Deshi's doing betted in the 2nd innings...they need it! I know Ashraful is inconsistant but he is very talented and should still be in the test team...and Aminul. Nice to see a few of their players got runs even if their bowling is hopeless...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Neil McKenzie should be in the team, he still has very good stats in both forms of the game. I don't know why he was dropped from the ODI side at all, he still averages in the mid to high 30's which is pretty good. As for being dropped from the test side, I can't fathom that either, he would be averaging 40 odd if he had not been moved to open the innings a year or so ago and failed. He played some good innings in Australia and when they come over to SA he's not in the team...and Prince is picked. Ok Prince is in good form and a good player but McKenzie had earn't his place the series before! Maybe he was injured, I don't know. Prince, McKenzie and Van Jarrsvelt are the future middle order and Kallis is not that old...but if they have a proven record like McKenzie...why leave them out?

Rich2001

International Captain
McKenzie is fine, he is currently playing for his club team Northerns and hit 9 in his first innings and is yet to bat his 2nd inngs.

Top_Cat

Having had a good look at McKenzie, I put him in a similar category as Rahul Dravid; they are both highly talented and dependable players but their innings won't destroy another team and win a game on their own. You need guys like that in the team but they couldn't be considered 'match winners' who play innings of the ilk of a Hayden, Trescothick, Ponting or Astle. These guys win matches off their own bat.

With guys like Dravid and McKanzie, you concentrate on getting the guys around them out because you're not going to find it easy against them. They take few risks so you can't try to 'buy' their wicket. When and if you get a few wickets around them, they might then play a rash shot and get themselves out.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see Bangladesh putting on some runs in the 2nd innings..203/5 I believe so at least they're doing better than Pakistan.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmmm Astle is a match winner in ODIs but for all the praise, and rightly given, to Astles amazing 222 it did not win the match...I cannot really think of any innings in tests that Astle has won for NZ off his own bat...but quite a few in ODIs.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well Bangladesh ended up with 252. They've shown some fight and guts for the first time in a long time (first 200 in 12 innings) and maybe, just maybe they can turn it round. Just need some bowling now. Aminul Islam ought to be in I reckon.. and what's Tushar Imran in the team for?!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Aminul should be in there definatly...has everyone forgotten that he scored 145 during Bangladesh's debut test? And even if Ashraful's bowling is inneffective in tests he still scored a century and obviously has talent. Bangladesh need Mortaza back...but they really do need a quality spinner, Rafique has 60 odd wickets at 15 in FC cricket...but barely any in tests...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO, Cairns is a better match winner at tests than Astle. If Cairns is in the zone he'll hit anyone out of the park, Shane Warne can testify to that when he ripped NZ to shreds a few years back in Wellington and then Cairns came out & proceeded to give NZ a fighting chance by launching a few balls out onto the road, including one legside six that I will never forget.

Although Astle hasn't really played too many match-winning innings, he's played a few that have gone very close to winning a test...his 150 at Perth & the 222, + he hit 64 off about 48 balls in the 3rd test against England to help NZ win the game in time.

But Astle is definately a different player on his home turf. Arguably he becomes a 2nd rate player abroad because he just doesn't perform consistently, however in NZ he's a machine & could easily be mistaken for the #1 batsman in the world on occassions.

Isam

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
my team will fight back..wait for this news: Bangladesh beat South Africa by 5 wickets.

WISHFUL THINKING !!!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be good for the sport though! :lol:lol::lol:

What about Zimbabwe beat Australia by 10 Wickets...and Andy Flower gets 250*, Heath Streak gets his 1st test hundred and 6-40 and 4-60 to polish them off and leave the Zim's opening partnership (whoever they end up being) to knock off the huge 40 runs to win...which takes them most of the day due to McGrath bowling 2ft outside off stump and not getting wided...McGrath concedes no runs in the 2nd innings from 13 overs...a new world record and Zimbabwe crash the 40 needed off Brett Lee who goes at 7 an over...

Maybe its fantisy but Andy Flower is capable of it...Heath Streak needs some good bowling and he has very nearly scored a test century and has scored a few FC ones...McGrath hardly ever concedes runs and Brett Lee must be getting quite scared of that "BANG" as the ball comes shooting back at him at twice the speed he delivered it at...the only thing is would the Zimbabwean's opening partnership get 40 without loss...maybe it is just fantisy...

[Edited on 24/10/2002 by Rik]