• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dinesh Karthik 403*

adharcric

International Coach
Damn that's ridiculous ... a double century in boundaries itself. I'm interested to know who the bowlers were.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Dravid said:
I don't know if there was a thread for this but its really good performance no matter even if it was First division league cricket
Karthik, who had ended Tuesday unbeaten on 251, propelled his side to 660 for one declared - a record for the highest total in the first division. Rovers, however, couldn't force victory.

Selfish much?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Karthik, who had ended Tuesday unbeaten on 251, propelled his side to 660 for one declared - a record for the highest total in the first division. Rovers, however, couldn't force victory.

Selfish much?

much

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Strange. While he was in the India side they probably didn't let him near the domestic scene, yet here he is smashing clubbies all over the shop.

He, or his captain, should have declared early on. It just shows cricket's preoccupation with the individual performance over the team performance.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
He, or his captain, should have declared early on. It just shows cricket's preoccupation with the individual performance over the team performance.
As was shown in another thread when someone was saying how good Lara's 400 was.

I dont think the preoccupation is throughout cricket though. Just certain people and groups with certain mentality.

I still think for most, that the win is more important than the individual performance.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So everyone in this thread who has called Karthik selfish also must admit that Lara 400* was selfish.

I think both of them were selfish.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Damn, 403* I dont care who you are, thats awesome, for actually being able stand up for so long.

Jungle Jumbo

silentstriker said:
So everyone in this thread who has called Karthik selfish also must admit that Lara 400* was selfish.

I think both of them were selfish.
Lara's was selfish, but it was the world Test record. Karthik's will just appear in the 'highest scores in minor cricket' section of Wisden. It is not a great performance to flog club bowlers all around the park.

Dravid

International Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
Lara's was selfish, but it was the world Test record. Karthik's will just appear in the 'highest scores in minor cricket' section of Wisden. It is not a great performance to flog club bowlers all around the park.
400 is a 400

Jungle Jumbo

Goughy said:
As was shown in another thread when someone was saying how good Lara's 400 was.

I dont think the preoccupation is throughout cricket though. Just certain people and groups with certain mentality.

I still think for most, that the win is more important than the individual performance.
I agree with you at the end there, but I think that the prevalence of relative statistics in cricket means that we will have the individual performance often coming ahead of the team performance. In football, for example, there is only one really relevant individual statistic: the goalscorer. All other stats, whether compiled by Opta or whatever, are fairly irrelevant and carry zero prestige. However in cricket you might prefer chasing 10 wickets in an innings, or a triple hundred, or most wickets in a calendar month, than win a game. I am unlikely to ever score a fifty. If my captain declared with me on 49, for the good of the team, I would be gutted. I would still be gutted even if we won because of the decision.

I think of all cricket's records, Lara's two records perhaps the ones you can be excused from chasing down regardless of the match situation.

Jungle Jumbo

Dravid said:
400 is a 400
400 in a Test against an attack that had dominated you and your team throughout the series, albeit on a dead wicket, is more of an achievement than 400 playing a level below what you are capable of playing at, against a club bowling attack, and on (presumably) a wicket with little assistance for the bowlers.

People regard big scores against Bangladesh's national side to be no great achievement. Karthik would not have scored 400 against a Bangladeshi domestic side (not for the loss of only one wicket anyway), which is generally regarded as being a very poor standard.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jungle Jumbo said:

Well obviously. I am not comparing the actual performance. I am simply saying it is selfish....in both cases.

Anyone who says "400 is 400" is, in polite terms, ********.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
adharcric said:
Damn that's ridiculous ... a double century in boundaries itself. I'm interested to know who the bowlers were.
Well, Darren Lehmans just scored 200 in boundaries in a first-class match (even though it was against Durham).

I think its probably more deserving of a thread to be honest.