• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo magazine (spinners)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Does anyone subscribe to the cricinfo magazine? In this months issue, there is an awesome 25 page homage to Indian spin.

Really, when I think of India (I think of bad pace, good spin), spin is what I think of.

Its really a great issue that discusses everything from various actions and varieties within each major schools of spin, as well as info on all Indian spinners of the past 70 years.

Anyone read it? I think it would be great to have a discussion on it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It has many many awesome interviews in the 25 pages. Here is an excerpt from an interview with Bedi:

Do you think you would have flighted the ball as much if you were playing cricket today?

I think I would have. I was no fan of limited-overs cricket, and I was not going to chuck away my style for some stupid entertainment for hooligans who were drinking and yelling at me. I was very proud of what I was doing, and I was also of the old school of thought that cricket is a gentleman's game and a battle of wits - whoever thinks better comes out on top.

You believed in buying your wickets. Do you think you would have been allowed to bowl that way if you were playing today?

I would have found a way. How would I have bowled to Sachin Tendulkar? I would have bowled to get him out! You have to think you can get every batsman out, be it a Tendulkar or Lara.

If it was Twenty20, I would have said, point blank, that I was not playing.

:laugh: :laugh:

One of many great features.

It has great technical information on spin bowling too, which taught me a lot.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Me mentions that Ashley Mallett, Raymond Illingworth, Fred Titmus were the bowlers who had the best flight of the ball.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
If it was Twenty20, I would have said, point blank, that I was not playing.
LOL.

I reckon i'll get it for the technical tips and to learn more about Indian spinners of the past.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cricinfo magazine is always good. What do you want to discuss regarding Indian spinners or this particular feature on Indian spinners dude?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
From the reviews I have read, Cricinfo magazine seems to focus on Indian cricket more than anything else, this is mirrored by the covers of the magazine which almost always feature an Indian player. How far off am I?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
nightprowler10 said:
From the reviews I have read, Cricinfo magazine seems to focus on Indian cricket more than anything else, this is mirrored by the covers of the magazine which almost always feature an Indian player. How far off am I?
Cricinfo magazine is made for India, and to a lesser extent, Asia - it replaced Wisden Asia cricket magazine.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Dasa said:
Cricinfo magazine is made for India, and to a lesser extent, Asia - it replaced Wisden Asia cricket magazine.
Didn't know that. What's a good cricket magazine that doesn't dwell on any one nation?

Matt79

Global Moderator
So who have been the greatest Indian spinners then? I hear Bedi's name regularly - where would Kumble or (more of a stretch) Singh be in the pantheon?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would say Kumble can be called the greatest Indian spinner. Some would even make a case for him for the greatest Indian bowler.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would say its Bedi, then Kumble, then a couple of the other 70's bowlers, and then Harbhajan. Harbhajan is too reliant on the doosra (which I don't think can be bowled legally), so I don't really rate him very high.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pratyush said:
I would say Kumble can be called the greatest Indian spinner. Some would even make a case for him for the greatest Indian bowler.
THe greatest indian bowler would definatly be a spinner, with all due respect to Dev.

With all due respect to Warne and Murali....Spin = India, just like Pace = WI (with all due respect to Lillee, Mcgrath, etc).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
Didn't know that. What's a good cricket magazine that doesn't dwell on any one nation?

Well, I think you would find plenty of non-Indian cricket stuff too in there. Might want to pick up a copy and see.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Well, I think you would find plenty of non-Indian cricket stuff too in there. Might want to pick up a copy and see.
Can't exactly pickup a copy just anywhere in the US. I'll have to subscribe.