• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite All-Time XI

Matt79

Global Moderator
I suppose he's pretty good with a light sabre as well.

Though if Curtley was a Jedi, he would have fixed the Emperor's wagon good and proper - thus rendering the original trilogy as non-existent - OMG he must be stopped.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Craig said:
Or Twenty20 :boxed: :blowup: :crutch:

For me I have always picked an alternative all-time XI sticking clear of your Bradman and Sobers, everybody does it so I choose to be different.

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
George Headley
Sir Viv Richards
Graeme Pollock
Keith Miller
Allan Knott (my favourite keeper-batsman of all time)
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall

12th man: Muttiah Muralitharan

Although on a spinning wicket you could take out a fast bowler and chuck in Murali. Richards would captain, I reckon that is one execellent side (tho' Warne may not bowl much :laugh: )
Do you really think Warne is/was a better batsman than Wasim? The Pakistani played nearly 40 less matches than Warne but hit three test centuries including a huge double, while Warne is yet to make any.

Craig

World Traveller
Then you swap them around, does it make much difference?

And as for that double, wasn't that against Zimbabwe (admittly it would trash this current mob)?

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
1976-2006

World XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Barry Richards
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell * (capt)
Allan Border
Imran Khan
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Shane Warne

Challengers

Gordon Greenidge
Geoff Boycott
Sachin Tendulkar
Graeme Pollock
Clive Lloyd - *
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Andy Roberts
Michael Holding
Joel Garner
Bishan Bedi

Matches to be played at Eden Gardens , Lords and MCG

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
favourite xi

gavaskar
tendulkar
chappell
gower
richards
kirmani
marshall
hadlee
ambrose
akram
holding

bagapath

International Captain
SJS said:
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Viv Richards
4. Brian Lara
5. Ricky Ponting
6. Dean Jones
7. Ian Botham
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Saqlain Mushtaq
10. Michael Holding
11. Joel Garner
12. Shane Warne
no disrespect sjs. but i think you are way off target slotting in beefy at 7. i love him. may select him as a reserve for my test team even. but in one dayers??? no chance. flintoff is more handy as an all-rounder in one dayers. alternatively why not take bevan and let viv and sachin finish the fifth bowler's quota? or take kallis and put him at 6 and jones at 7?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bagapath said:
no disrespect sjs. but i think you are way off target slotting in beefy at 7. i love him. may select him as a reserve for my test team even. but in one dayers??? no chance. flintoff is more handy as an all-rounder in one dayers. alternatively why not take bevan and let viv and sachin finish the fifth bowler's quota? or take kallis and put him at 6 and jones at 7?
Actually my problem came with the selection of the four 'best' bowlers as per my opinion. Hadlee, Holding, Garner and Saqlain. Unfortunately, except for Hadlee, the others arent much use with the bat and Hadlee wasnt a great one day bat.

I am not in favour a 'part time' fifth bowler when we are making an all time team. I think there should be five bowlers who are normally expected to bowl ten overs each and another one or two who might fill in for a change or if one of the lead bowlers is having an off day. So I wanted a good one day bat who was also a good one day bowler.

I think you may be right about Botham but if I have to replace him, I will still look for a world class bowler. I think Kapil might not be a bad choice.

He was a great bowler at the death ( he bowled a maiden I think when his county side needed to restrict the oposition to one in the last over), he could turn the match around with devastating hitting against the best bowling in the world and was an exceptional fielder anywhere on the field with a superb throwing arm.

Frankly, I dont think Bevan belongs in this crowd and I doubt if all those who have played cricket over time were availabe at the same time and all in their prime, Bevan would get selected irrespective of that "astounding" average.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Craig said:
And as for that double, wasn't that against Zimbabwe (admittly it would trash this current mob)?
It was against a Zimbabwe that gave most major test teams a run for their money. They also beat India and Pakistan in tests IIRC.

Slifer

International Captain
My XI Tests:

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
SRT
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran*
Hadlee
Marshall
Mcgrath/Murali (pitch dependent)

Odis:

SRT
Gilchrist+
Richards*
Lara
Ponting
Kallis
Bevan
Akram
Donald
Garner
Murali/Mcgrath (again pitch dependent)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm, I think if you had the ability to transport players across time and put them in the same team, then you'd probably have the ability to clone players too.

Don Bradman
Don Bradman
Don Bradman *
Don Bradman
Don Bradman
Don Bradman
Ian Healy +
Ambrose
Ambrose
McGrath
McGrath

I assume Bradman #3 is the 'original' and not the clone, so he'll be the captain.
Yea, we don't have real batting after #6, but if six Don Bradman's can't score runs...then that means the umpire is cheating anyway. :laugh:

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Err, if you want a more 'balanced' team:

You can have:

Sobers
Sobers
Sobers
Sobers
Sobers
Sobers
Sobers
Sobers
Sobers
Sobers
Sobers

That way you get both spin bowling, pace bowling, excellent fielding, and batting down to 11 ;). I'm sure you could teach him to keep too.

Slifer

International Captain
Yes thats a good question. What if u had 11 Bradmans versus 11 Sobers' who would win?
Seriously?

adharcric

International Coach
11 Sobers, easily. They would hit every ball for a boundary. The Bradmans might miss a few since the Sobers can actually bowl.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
11 Sobers, easily. They would hit every ball for a boundary. The Bradmans might miss a few since the Sobers can actually bowl.
Agreed. And Sobers would be better in the field.

Though most likely the games would be a draw.

bagapath

International Captain
here is my all time one day XI

sachin
gilchrist
richards
kallis
jones
bevan
flintoff
akram
warne
garner
murali

reserves: donald, waqar and lara

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
bagapath said:
It's everyone's favourite XI, so there is no debate about who choses who. Anyone can put their mother-in-law in if they want to.:mellow:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slifer said:
Yes thats a good question. What if u had 11 Bradmans versus 11 Sobers' who would win?
Seriously?
Assuming its test matches we are talking off, it will ALWAYS end in a draw. Unless its a timeless test. :happy: