• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis - Most Underrated Allrounder

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just playing around with the historical Test Ratings and its clear that Kallis has been an exceptional exponent of both bat and ball. Whether he still is can be debated, but he has certainly been a quality allrounder during his career.

Highest Points Total and Ranking (Tests)
Batting Ranking
1 - ( 06/01/2005 )
Bowling Ranking
6 - ( 15/11/2002 )

Compared to other famous allrounders

Highest Rankings

Botham
Batting Ranking
3 - ( 08/07/1982 )
Bowling Ranking
1 - ( 24/08/1978 )

Imran
Batting Ranking
12 - ( 12/12/1991 )
Bowling Ranking
1 - ( 29/07/1982 )

Hadlee
Batting Ranking
23 - ( 16/04/1987 )
Bowling Ranking
1 - ( 09/03/1984 )

Kapil
Batting Ranking
22 - ( 28/04/1983 )
Bowling Ranking
2 - ( 16/12/1979 )

Sobers
Batting Ranking
1 - ( 31/12/1958 )
Bowling Ranking
5 - ( 22/08/1963 )

On his top career ratings he compares very favourably.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, I was just watching the 99 World Cup Review DVD and watched highlights of the Super Six game between SA and NZ. Look at Kallis in this game, he went nuts with the bat (playing shots you would never see him play today, be it a ODI or test) and his bowling was top notch.

Now I know he has the fastest 50 in tests, but that was against a minnow who he always pulverises and raises his strike rate. But in this knock he hit 53 from 36 with 3 sixes, and only 1 boundary. He was lofting more than he was hitting it over the carpet. You'd never associate that with Kallis. It was amazing to watch, as well as weird.

Then he opened the bowling with Pollock and took 2-15 from 6 overs. I remember the days of Kallis when he was a true allrounder (always thought that considering how young he was he was going to be a ridiculously good one), but its a shame he tapered off a fair bit in his bowling. I guess the fact that he's now so vital to SA's batting in both forms (mainly tests obviously) has resulted in him homing in on that part of his game (plus the fact he has the batting talent to go down as an all-time great). But IMO the bowling I saw from him in this WC is so far above the ability he has now its amazing.

http://www1.cricinfo.com/link_to_da...SUPSIX/NZ_RSA_WC99_ODI-SUPSIX6_10JUN1999.html

thierry henry

International Coach
I find it amazing how people can write off 200+ test wickets by saying that Kallis "was only a good bowler for a few years", "was never that good anyway", "is only really a part-timer".

Yet Sobers took not much more than 200 wickets, and people excuse his mediocre average by saying that he was run into the ground with constant bowling!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
Just playing around with the historical Test Ratings and its clear that Kallis has been an exceptional exponent of both bat and ball. Whether he still is can be debated, but he has certainly been a quality allrounder during his career.

Highest Points Total and Ranking (Tests)
Batting Ranking
1 - ( 06/01/2005 )
Bowling Ranking
6 - ( 15/11/2002 )

Compared to other famous allrounders

Highest Rankings

Botham
Batting Ranking
3 - ( 08/07/1982 )
Bowling Ranking
1 - ( 24/08/1978 )

Imran
Batting Ranking
12 - ( 12/12/1991 )
Bowling Ranking
1 - ( 29/07/1982 )

Hadlee
Batting Ranking
23 - ( 16/04/1987 )
Bowling Ranking
1 - ( 09/03/1984 )

Kapil
Batting Ranking
22 - ( 28/04/1983 )
Bowling Ranking
2 - ( 16/12/1979 )

Sobers
Batting Ranking
1 - ( 31/12/1958 )
Bowling Ranking
5 - ( 22/08/1963 )

On his top career ratings he compares very favourably.
How long have the rankings been around?

shortpitched713

International Captain
I don't think they've been around for that long, but they've recently made rankings for historical players as well. You can find it all here if you want:

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/

Some of the features like compare players and best ever ratings are actually kind of cool.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The ratings have been applied to every player since day 1, retrospectively but that doesn't change the basis behind them.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
shortpitched713 said:
I don't think they've been around for that long, but they've recently made rankings for historical players as well. You can find it all here if you want:

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/

Some of the features like compare players and best ever ratings are actually kind of cool.
I knew about that, I was just wondering how long have the rankings have actually been around, marc answered that question though.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i think the only reason kallis is considered underrated is becuase of his strike rate in one day matches. we see most allrounders now days that they are very aggrasive players spacially in batting. in one day matches allrounders who are aggrasive gets all the attention. the example is afridi, razaq, freddie and others.

i consider both pollack and kailli world class allrounders in both test and one day matches. there is no doubt about thier abalities. i think most of u remember world cup 99 and many other tournments in which south africa had big names in their bowling such as allan donlad, polock, elwerthy but south africa was opening thier bowling with pollock and kaillis this proves his bowling abalities. yet again i think what makes him underrated is the luck of aggrassiveness in his batting in one day matches.

shortpitched713

International Captain
haroon510 said:
i consider both pollack and kailli world class allrounders in both test and one day matches.
No one is doubting that they are both world class players, but you'll have to agree that both have very, very different roles on the team. They're on opposite ends of the "allrounder" spectrum. Pollock always gets a bowl and bats in the lower order. Some would say though that Kallis doesn't bowl enough to be categorized as an allrounder. Thing is though, if you can call what Kallis does as allrounding, then hes without a doubt in my mind the best in the world at it in Tests.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was often said of Boycott by the WI team of the 70s and 80's that although they could see he was a great defensive player and clearly scored lots of runs, his style of play didn't often result in wins for the team off his own bat. They perceived him as a selfish player, not able to adjust to the situation of the game very often, and just stuck to what he knew which was defensive play, high price on his wicket, etc. I've read where they've said this was why they didn't respect him as an opponent as much as they did others who were slightly less successful against them.

I get the feeling that had Kallis been playing in that era, he would have been thought of similarly. In Tests, how often do we see a match-winning knock by Kallis where his knock was the difference? Pretty rarely. I think that's why he's not thought of as highly as many of his peers. Obviously a player who knows his game very, very well and is a master at doing it but he's not really a player who strikes fear into opposition hearts. They know they'll struggle to get him out, etc. but he's not a player who you'd be thinking "If we don't knock him over early, we're done-for.". Players such as Sachin, Lara (especially), Ponting, Gilchrist, etc, don't just score many runs themselves; they 'take' others with them and their play inspires others in the team to form match-winning partnerships or to rip out some quick wickets before stumps. Kallis always seems to bat 'alone', if that makes any sense. And one can't under-estimate the effect on a team of someone who does something extraordinary.

Case in point, Freddie's knock at Edgbaston. He didn't get a ton that day but it is universally considered an incredible knock, not for how many runs he scored or even for the way he did it with all the sixes but for what it did for the team. Suddenly guys like Simon Jones found someone to get behind and play well above his weight just to support Freddie. Freddie then took THE crucial wickets and England won. He didn't take a 5-fer but he didn't need to; the wickets he took and what it did for the team because of WHEN he took them did all of the damage. Its why, even though Freddie will likely not be statistically in the same league as other great all-rounders by career-end (he had too poor a start to recover, really), he'll still be remembered as one of the best. Another one who's rapidly heading into the 'match-winning' category is Mohammed Yousuf; and it's because of how many games he wins Pakistan, not because of how many runs he scores.

Another example; Gilchrist this year against Bangladesh. Yes it 'only Bangladesh' but to that point, they were all over the Aussies. They'd batted really, really well with awesome speed and spirit in their first dig to get 400-odd and then their spinners made a mess of the Aussie top-order. They were playing in a dream and looked like they'd forgotten that they were supposed to be the worst team in Test cricket. Gichrist's knock, by it's sheer power and strength of will, reminded Bangladesh of their place in many ways. Suddenly they were snapped back to reality. Had someone else played a steadier knock to get the Aussies out of trouble, Bangladesh would probably have still been playing in the dream and batted better in their second dig (we can never know, of course). As it was, they were totally demoralised, reminded of where they stood in the world cricket pecking-order and played accordingly, scoring 148 in their second dig, and subsequent win for the Aussies followed. The next Test, they were annihilated and a tail-ender scored a double ton. Again, back to reality and I think a large chunk of that can be traced back to Gilchrist's knock.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/AUS_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_T1_09-13APR2006.html

That's the difference between Kallis and the guys who people can never quite rate as highly no matter how many runs he scored. Players like Lara, Sachin, etc. Someone brought up Ken Barrington and that's a pretty fair comparison. Lots of runs, outstanding average but questions will always be asked as far as how many of those runs were important to his team.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
It was often said of Boycott by the WI team of the 70s and 80's that although they could see he was a great defensive player and clearly scored lots of runs, his style of play didn't often result in wins for the team off his own bat. They perceived him as a selfish player, not able to adjust to the situation of the game very often, and just stuck to what he knew which was defensive play, high price on his wicket, etc. I've read where they've said this was why they didn't respect him as an opponent as much as they did others who were slightly less successful against them.
Thats complete and utter ********. You read about and listen to the former West Indian quicks that talk about their job being to focus on Boycott and target him. This was because he was the main man for England, the best defensive and technical player in the world and the player that was respected the most.

If they could take him out and make and example of him then the rest of the England side would follow.

Its the complete opposite of what you mention.

If you have quotes I would be interested in reading them.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thats complete and utter ********. You read about and listen to the former West Indian quicks that talk about their job being to focus on Boycott and target him. This was because he was the main man for England, the best defensive and technical player in the world and the player that was respected the most.

If they could take him out and make and example of him then the rest of the England side would follow.

Its the complete opposite of what you mention.

If you have quotes I would be interested in reading them.
Your first sentence would tend to indicate otherwise.