Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Taibu wants to Qualify for RSA

  1. #1
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542

    Taibu wants to Qualify for RSA

    Taibu has laid down his future for SA and wants to play for a franchise side..

    I welcome the news, but to be honest I'd rather have de Villiers keeping in 5 years time, after all, hes a far superior batsman.. Although hopefully this move would completely edge out Tsolekile from ever playing again for SA
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,552
    There is already quite a few decent wicket keeper batsman in South Africa but who knows in four years time, good luck to him however.

  3. #3
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    There is already quite a few decent wicket keeper batsman in South Africa but who knows in four years time, good luck to him however.
    I'd love to have him playing for the warriors, and its nice to gain a good cricketer..

  4. #4
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    Good wicket-keeper, Test and captaincy experience..he'd be a good successor to Boucher. Why not?
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...


  5. #5
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    Good wicket-keeper, Test and captaincy experience..he'd be a good successor to Boucher. Why not?
    Because de Villiers is a better test batsman (I'm of the BATSMAN-keeper) argument..

    But as a keeper, all round bloke, and leader, I can't fault him, and he's only in his only 20's.. I'd have him in my test team if AB wasn't about.. I'd also have him captain, it would be refreshing

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    Good wicket-keeper, Test and captaincy experience..he'd be a good successor to Boucher. Why not?
    AB would be the next inline one would guess but then there is the likes of Morne van Wyk, Davey Jacobs, Heino Kuhn et cetera, very competent batsman/wicket keepers. Won’t be easy for Taibu but he does have a few things going for him.

  7. #7
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Loots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England (But I'm a South Africa fan)
    Posts
    74
    I'm with Langeveldt. AB is a good keeper and will make more runs than Taibu. Having said that, Taibu would be a good option in the short-term - But if we want a long term solution to the problem of replacing Boucher, then AB is the man and we have to get him behind the stumps at much as possible.

    Does ABdV keep wicket at a domestic level?
    "Bring me the toolshed, for I am hungry"

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Loots
    I'm with Langeveldt. AB is a good keeper and will make more runs than Taibu. Having said that, Taibu would be a good option in the short-term - But if we want a long term solution to the problem of replacing Boucher, then AB is the man and we have to get him behind the stumps at much as possible.

    Does ABdV keep wicket at a domestic level?
    Only played a few games for the Titans last year but he did keep wicket yes.

  9. #9
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Because de Villiers is a better test batsman (I'm of the BATSMAN-keeper) argument..

    But as a keeper, all round bloke, and leader, I can't fault him, and he's only in his only 20's.. I'd have him in my test team if AB wasn't about.. I'd also have him captain, it would be refreshing
    Wouldn't SA be better off with AB playing as a specialist batsman? Haven't seen him keep, but normally he plays as a batsman with Boucher keeping, so if he's a worse keeper than Boucher why bother with AB behind the stumps?

  10. #10
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Loots
    I'm with Langeveldt. AB is a good keeper and will make more runs than Taibu. Having said that, Taibu would be a good option in the short-term - But if we want a long term solution to the problem of replacing Boucher, then AB is the man and we have to get him behind the stumps at much as possible.

    Does ABdV keep wicket at a domestic level?
    Welcome Loots, where do you hail in SA?

  11. #11
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    Wouldn't SA be better off with AB playing as a specialist batsman? Haven't seen him keep, but normally he plays as a batsman with Boucher keeping, so if he's a worse keeper than Boucher why bother with AB behind the stumps?
    Thinking about when Boucher retires

  12. #12
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Loots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England (But I'm a South Africa fan)
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Welcome Loots, where do you hail in SA?
    I don't live in South Africa, I've lived in England all my life but due to having some South African family who live in Cape Town, having watched South Africa play for a number of my first memories in cricket and some of my favourite players being South African (Donald, Hansie, etc...etc...) I've come to support them over the years.

  13. #13
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Loots
    I don't live in South Africa, I've lived in England all my life but due to having some South African family who live in Cape Town, having watched South Africa play for a number of my first memories in cricket and some of my favourite players being South African (Donald, Hansie, etc...etc...) I've come to support them over the years.
    Donald is an absolute superhero of mine, favourite player by miles.. Nice to have another SA fan, pretty much doubles our contingent on here

  14. #14
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,649
    Donald was a rubbish bowler.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    Good wicket-keeper, Test and captaincy experience..he'd be a good successor to Boucher. Why not?
    Because there are better players available.

    Even if he was available for South Africa now I would place him 5th on the list of keepers behind (in no particular order)
    - Boucher
    - De Villiers
    - Morne Van Wyk
    - Davey Jacobs

    Add in the brown eyed boy, Thami Tsolekile and emerging talents such as Heino Kuhn and this move really does nothing for SA cricket.

    He would probably only be a marginal upgrade over guys like Matthew Harris (Lions), Duncan Brown (Dolphins) and Arno Jacobs (Warriors).

    Its a great idea for him, in terms of career and income, and good luck to him for that. However, from an SA perspective it adds nothing.

    Also with the reduction to 6 franchises there are already limited opportunities for many players and chances are further reduced by the quota system. Given the small pool of players available for SA cricket the last thing need is older players past their best like Harvey (Cobras last year) and average overseas players like Blignaut and Taibu clogging up the system.

    As I said, good luck to Taibu, as he needs to pay the morgage and put food on the table but from a cricketing POV it makes little sense and would give few franchises (if any) a major upgrade.
    Last edited by Goughy; 18-09-2006 at 11:34 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. **Official** Zimbabwe Domestic Season
    By Chubb in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 07:30 PM
  2. Taibu Quits Zimbabwean Cricket
    By cameeel in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 26-11-2005, 06:20 PM
  3. Zimbabwe in CWLand
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Cricket Web XI
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 31-10-2004, 03:23 PM
  4. How to qualify for F1
    By V Reddy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 21-07-2003, 02:24 PM
  5. Can pakistan qualify for the super-six?
    By wasims_fan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 19-10-2002, 10:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •