• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taibu wants to Qualify for RSA

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
Because there are better players available.

Even if he was available for South Africa now I would place him 5th on the list of keepers behind (in no particular order)
- Boucher
- De Villiers
- Morne Van Wyk
- Davey Jacobs

Add in the brown eyed boy, Thami Tsolekile and emerging talents such as Heino Kuhn and this move really does nothing for SA cricket.

He would probably only be a marginal upgrade over guys like Matthew Harris (Lions), Duncan Brown (Dolphins) and Arno Jacobs (Warriors).

Its a great idea for him, in terms of career and income, and good luck to him for that. However, from an SA perspective it adds nothing.

Also with the reduction to 6 franchises there are already limited opportunities for many players and chances are further reduced by the quota system. Given the small pool of players available for SA cricket the last thing need is older players past their best like Harvey (Cobras last year) and average overseas players like Blignaut and Taibu clogging up the system.

As I said, good luck to Taibu, as he needs to pay the morgage and put food on the table but from a cricketing POV it makes little sense and would give few franchises (if any) a major upgrade.
I think you are seriously under-rating his ability. He'd be behind Boucher and AB, but although I haven't seen much of the other players you mentioned, I seriously doubt that he wouldn't be good enough to displace them.

His keeping is exceptional. He's a better wicket keeper than Boucher, and De Villiers, and most likely all those others you listed. His batting isn't the greatest, but it certainly has heaps of potential and he does have a test hundred. Keep in mind, too, that he's only 23.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
great news for South Africa, along with De Villiers Boucher will know that in the next few years if he slips up in high standards he could be gone very quickly.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
but although I haven't seen much of the other players you mentioned, I seriously doubt that he wouldn't be good enough to displace them.
Given the beginning part of your statement I find it difficult to see what the latter part is based on.

Davey Jacobs, is in my opinion, one of the best young players in South Africa. Van Wyk is an exceptional player. Heino Kuhn opens the batting for his franchise and is a good young keeper and Tsolekile has a number of influential advocates.

The keeping situation in SA is far stronger than the batting and bowling. Taibu will probably find a franchise to take him, but there is no way he will make it in to the SA side or even close to it for that matter.

EDIT- As for age, De Villiers and Kuhn are younger than him and Jacobs is the same age (23).

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Goughy said:
Davey Jacobs, is in my opinion, one of the best young players in South Africa. Van Wyk is an exceptional player. Heino Kuhn opens the batting for his franchise and is a good young keeper and Tsolekile has a number of influential advocates.

The keeping situation in SA is far stronger than the batting and bowling. Taibu will probably find a franchise to take him, but there is no way he will make it in to the SA side or even close to it for that matter.
All that is fine, but does Taibu's record at the international level mean nothing to you?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seems to me that de Villiers is so brilliant in the field that it'd be a waste to make him keep. But I haven't seen enough of him to judge fairly.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
All that is fine, but does Taibu's record at the international level mean nothing to you?
Its decent but nothing special. However, dont tell me as I already know, he is still only young!
It is interesting to look at Taibus record and see that 1/3 of his runs in his 24 tests come from 4 tests against Bangladesh. Taking Bangladesh out of the equation, he averages under 22 with 5 fifties in 20 games. He is hardly a test great potentially lost to the world.

Dont be prejudiced against the players I mentioned just because they didnt come from a country poor at cricket.

Zim are a good club team (a recent series loss to SA Academy illustrates this) and the guys I mentioned (especially Jacobs) would be cricketing gods if they came from Zim. They dont and have had to go through a different system than guys like Taibu.

Im going on the ability I have witnessed, and no disrespect to Taibu, I rate the others ahead of him as I think they are very good players not because I think Taibu is rubbish.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Goughy said:
Its decent but nothing special. However, dont tell me as I already know, he is still only young. It is interesting to look at Taibus record and see that 1/3 of his runs in his 24 tests come from 4 tests against Bangladesh. He is hardly a test great potentially lost to the world.

Dont be prejudiced against the players I mentioned just because they didnt come from a country poor at cricket.

Zim are a good club team (a recent series loss to SA Academy illustrates this) and the guys I mentioned (especially Jacobs) would be cricketing gods if they came from Zim. They dont and have had to go through a different system than guys like Taibu.

Im going on the ability I have witnessed, and no disrespect to Taibu, I rate the others ahead of him as I think they are very good players not because I think Taibu is rubbish.
Well there definitely is a huge difference between South Africa and Zimbabwe in terms of cricket and there certainly isn't any reason for me to be biased towards cricketers from the latter nation. I already mentioned why Taibu's record is more than just "decent": he's scored half-centuries without much support against pretty much all the top-class teams. That should say a lot. I haven't watched enough of Taibu to rave about his technique or power or anything specific, but the numbers look good (not as a whole, on an innings-by-innings basis) and I'm not considering Bangladesh in this. If you've got much better keepers over there, that's great. Maybe Taibu should go replace Chris Read and Geraint Jones instead.

When Taibu pulls off a Pietersen, I'll be there to say "I told you so". ;)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
When Taibu pulls off a Pietersen, I'll be there to say "I told you so". ;)
Now that would make a lot more sense. :) I think his problem would be counties willing to use their overseas quota on him but maybe Zim qualifies as kolpak.

If he did decide to qualify for England, in 4 years he could very well be the best available keeper for England, however that plan hasnt help Pothas that much as he is unlikely to get picked.

As you suggested, If I were him Id head to the UK, get a good agent and take my chances where the keeping stocks are low and there is more money available.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Given the beginning part of your statement I find it difficult to see what the latter part is based on.
The latter part is based on Taibu's ability

What exactly is your problem with the move though? You seem to be posting as if he's going to end up keeping a South African hopeful out of a franchise side. If said hopeful is good enough, Taibu won't get picked. It's pretty simple really.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
What exactly is your problem with the move though? You seem to be posting as if he's going to end up keeping a South African hopeful out of a franchise side. If said hopeful is good enough, Taibu won't get picked. It's pretty simple really.
My problem is that I dont think its that big a deal or important. As I said before, good luck to him but from a cricketing perspective its neither here nor there.

As adharcric mentioned, maybe England is a better bet. Pothas is possibly the best keeper/batsman in England and he left SA due to lack of opportunities. Taibu could do well there but I think you seriously underestimate the depth of keeping talent in SA.

As for the last part of your post. Its far from that simple. Choice of playing well paid contracted player or marginally better young player on a match fee. The former will never get dropped even if the latter is better. Where is the sense in dropping a player you are obliged to pay good money to whether they play or not? Money talks in situations like that.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its important because of the fact he was literally sent away from Zim cricket with death threats and other horrible things. Many admire him, particularly here on CW, so thats the reason why therew's been such a popular reaction.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm surprised no county hasn't offered him a deal though.

I mean with some of the random signings some counties have made over the years he would be a better option/signing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Somerset should have snapped him up tbh..

Nah, Taibu for me is more impressive as a bloke than a cricketer.. If he had been from Australia I don't think his low twenties average would see him being so rated as a batsman (The fact he's in some peoples WorldXI's astounds me).. And as Goughy has said, there are many better batsmen/keepers in SA

Craig

World Traveller
Although not many can also bowl :laugh: :p

(Actually would that just as useful as Sir Garry Sobers but Sobers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Taibu?)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Because de Villiers is a better test batsman (I'm of the BATSMAN-keeper) argument..
And what's to say Taibu can't average 25-30 or so and let AB concentrate on batting and average 50+?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think he might average in the low 30's if he actually had a team around him. And he's a pretty good keeper. So I think he'll rise fast in SA cricket. I don't know if he'll make the test team, but I bet he'll be a contender in a couple years (I don't know when he is eligible for selection).

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think Taibu will be eligible for selection in two years, by which time we'll have a better idea if he is really good emough to represent SA. I say if he can average in the high 20s low 30s that hes worth it to be in the South African side and that they should play de Villiers as a batsman.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
shortpitched713 said:
I think Taibu will be eligible for selection in two years, by which time we'll have a better idea if he is really good emough to represent SA. I say if he can average in the high 20s low 30s that hes worth it to be in the South African side and that they should play de Villiers as a batsman.
And what should happen to the large group of SA keeper/batsmen that are equally if not more capable of doing that?

SA is not short of talented keeper/batsmen and to assume Taibu would be automatic 2nd or 3rd in line is disrespectful to a number of exceptional players.