• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 5 for 1986-2006 World Test XI

# 5 Position for 1986-2006 World Test XI

• Mohammad Azharuddin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allan Border

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Surav Ganguly

• David Gower

• Andy Flower

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • Saleem Malik

• Viv Richards

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Graham Thorpe

• Inzamam Ul-Haq

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Steve Waugh

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBH001

International Regular
Well, I voted for Lara at #3 and voted for Tendulkar at #4.

I cannot imagine a 86 - 06 side without Lara in it (I mean really, Punter?!) but neither can I imagine a 86 - 06 side without Waugh in it. And I dislike seeing Waugh contest the #6 spot as it would mean that we might have to leave Murali out, which makes even less sense. Aaaaarrrgghhh!

I am leaning toward Waugh at #5 as I believe him to be better at that position than Lara, I mean afaik Lara hardly batted at #5 and that gives Waugh an advantage.
(He would also arguably be a better captain than Imran who might pi*s his team off)

But a team without Lara? Eeeeek!

I think I will wait a day or two...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
silentstriker said:
The best team from 1986-2006 includes players like Sachin and Lara (and probably Waugh), regardless of their batting order. If it doesn't, then its not a best possible team from 1986-2006.
Silentstriker, can you not understand that this is a poll that is meant to represent the opinions of the CW community, not just you? Just let everyone vote for what they want.

Beleg

International Regular
I refuse to believe that the members of CW are that stupid, or have memories that short (its not ponting of 2006 vs. Lara of 2006).
Lara vs. Ponting is a fair question; Ponting has done enough to warrant comparison with Lara.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
andyc said:
Silentstriker, can you not understand that this is a poll that is meant to represent the opinions of the CW community, not just you? Just let everyone vote for what they want.

Obviously. I am not preventing anyone from voting what they want. I am simply saying that I find some of the choices hard to believe.

aussie tragic

International Captain
R_D said:
so should we go into the type of bowler's Lara faced in 90's compared to what Ponting's facing these days.
Sehwag apparently has it easy hence more people voting for Anwar despite both having similar records which is fair enough but i wonder why the same logic wasn't applied to Lara/ Ponting case.
Okay, since a few people are stating that Lara faced better bowling than Ponting, please note the following stats which are from Dec-95 (Ponting's debut) to now, which means that both batsmen played the same standard of bowling during this period.

Brian Lara (LHB): 97 tests, 8457 runs @ 49.45, 25 centuries, 31 fifties
Ricky Ponting (RHB): 105 tests, 8792 runs @ 58.22, 31 centuries, 34 fifties

:-O

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Okay, since a few people are stating that Lara faced better bowling than Ponting, please note the following stats which are from Dec-95 (Ponting's debut) to now, which means that both batsmen played the same standard of bowling during this period.

Laras prime was earlier than Ponting. Compare Lara's record pre-2000, to Pontings record pre-2000. But that would be unfair to Ponting, as his prime came later than 2000. So the only way to compare is to analyze the opposing bowler averages/SR, etc.

Lara owned the early 90s, Sachin mastered to late 90's, Ponting and Dravid are this century.

Ponting and Dravid you could reasonably compare, but you can't directly compare either to Lara and Sachin. Not by averages and runs, at least.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Thats one thing I dispise about todays pitches -- many batting achievements of past eras (Chappell, Gavaskar come to mind) seem to be less than what they actually were, because we compare it to the the current era of batting paradise.

R_D

International Debutant
aussie tragic said:

Nice work and another example of Stats never tell the full story.
Once you further dissect the stats what you'll find is that Ponting's averages has been Phenomnal in last 3 or 4 years and before that it was probaly average if not worse.... they were once thinking of dropping him. DO i need to say how many good bowlers have we had in last few years and further only once did we see Ponting come against a good attack and we all know what happend in England right ?
I don't mean to undermine Ponting he's a wonderful batsman and has always been one of my favourites from Aus even before he was pilling up the runs plus he's a Kangroos supporter :D But putting him ahead of Lara just isn't on in my opinion.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
R_D said:
Nice work and another example of Stats never tell the full story.
Once you further dissect the stats what you'll find is that Ponting's averages has been Phenomnal in last 3 or 4 years and before that it was probaly average if not worse.... they were once thinking of dropping him. DO i need to say how many good bowlers have we had in last few years and further only once did we see Ponting come against a good attack and we all know what happend in England right ?
I don't mean to undermine Ponting he's a wonderful batsman and has always been one of my favourites from Aus even before he was pilling up the runs plus he's a Kangroos supporter :D But putting him ahead of Lara just isn't on in my opinion.
I think you're selling Ponting short re. last year's Ashes, and generally. His average that series was not as good as it had been, but his innings in the 3rd test on the last day to save that game for Australia, imo turned him from an exceptional player to a great one in one day. 5th day wicket, under the pump from a good attack, wickets falling around him yet he held it together and saved the game. It got to the point where, until Warne got out, the television began showing not how many wickets England needed but how many runs Australia needed. You can say what you like about his captaincy and sometimes his behaviour, but his batsmanship is wonderful.

Lara too is a great player. They can both be destructive, but Lara seems to defy physics with some of the things he can do with a bat in his hand. Nevertheless, you cannot say that the bowlers whom he faced in the mid-late 90s were all better than those Ponting has faced this decade. Australia were strong in the mid-late 90s, Pakistan were good, but England were ordinary, India other than at home had a woeful record, South Africa were just making their way back (though they did have Donald), NZ had lost Hadlee and Murali had only just come along for Sri Lanka.

So often we decry modern players, especially batsmen, and say that their records are good because bowlers aren't as strong now as, say 20-30 years ago. Is that true? Pitches have become more homogenised, but there are more results now than ever. Someone's taking 20 wickets! The West Indies in the 80s had wonderful bowlers, but they bowled only about 70 overs a day. Further, were batsmen as innovative and aggressive then as now? Did they play off the back foot like Ponting, Lara, Gilchrist, Sehwag, Sachin, Pietersen, Freddie, Inzy, Yousef, Hayden and others do now? Had the impact of one-day cricket on techniques and run-rates really come into play as early as the 80s and early-mid 90s? Players take on short balls now as never before. They always look to score. I'd love to see a contest between those great WI sides of the 80s and a line-up of of today' batsmen who hook, pull and cut like there's no tomorrow.

There are still some decent bowlers around now. Obviouly Ponting does not have to face McGrath & Warne, but Murali's a champion, Vaas is a good bowler, Shoahib is as quick as anyone there's been, he had Ambrose & Walsh in his early years, Akram & Waqar as well. Donald was there too. Bond when fit as an imposing figure and he also has Flintoff and Harmison to contend with as well as Ntini, Harbajan and Kumble. They are no mugs.

They are both great players. My view is that if I wanted someone to bank on to score runs consistently, I'd go with Ponting, but if I wanted to be entertained with the possibility of a massive score, BC Lara would get the nod.

If I had to choose between the two of them for this side, I'd go with Lara, because given the players around him, he could afford to be as entertaining as he liked, and I'd like to see that!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Definitely an asset to CW Burgey, top stuff.

The man may have just sealed himself an award this week. ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Are bowlers worse?

1970s fast bowlers had 29.24.
1980s fast bowlers had 29.10
1990s fast bowlers had 29.33
2000s fast bowlers have 32.45

The consensus is that fast-bowling resources in this decade are the thinnest in the last 35 years. The 1970s had Dennis Lillee, Jeff Thomson, Bob Willis, Ian Botham and John Snow; the 1980s were adorned by West Indies' magnificent assembly line of fast men (far too many to name individually), plus Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee, Lillee, Willis and a host of others; in the 1990s, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Allan Donald, Glenn McGrath and the two Ws from Pakistan kept the fast-bowling flame burning bright. In the 2000s, though, the glow has visibly diminished: Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Waqar and Donald retired within an 18-month period, Shaun Pollock lost much of his sting, and the replacements obviously found it tough to measure up to the standards set by their predecessors.

The table below confirms this: in the 2000s, fast bowlers average more than 32 per wicket, while in the last five decades they touched the 30-mark just once. In fact, to find out the last instance when they gave away so many per wicket, you'd have to go back to the 1930s, when they averaged 32.89. However, it's pertinent to note that batsmen have had a much better time in the 2000s compared to the last 50 years, and wicket-taking has generally been more difficult. The fact that runs are now scored at a faster rate than they used to be is borne out by the fact that though the strike rate of the bowlers is more-or-less constant over the last 25 years, they now concede more runs per wicket than they used to. (To exclude part-time bowlers from the analysis, the numbers below only take into account bowlers who bowled at least 90 balls per match.)

And thats not the only thing...look at the worst years for fast bowlers:

2004 959 35.15 65.22
1949 132 35.02 81.69
1989 420 34.87 73.09
1970 105 33.90 81.24
2006 678 33.77 60.18
2003 862 33.66 63.88

Look at those averages! Three years from 2000 on are on here.

And you say bowling is not any worse?

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/258298.html

So I'm sorry but Ponting has had it much easier in his prime than Lara, Sachin or Waugh had in theirs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pitches have become more homogenised, but there are more results now than ever. Someone's taking 20 wickets!
Yea, but at worse averages. More results are because now you are forced to bowl 90 overs.

today' batsmen who hook, pull and cut like there's no tomorrow.
Honestly now, how many hooks do you see?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nice post Burgey.

SS, how much more wearing on a batsman is it to face bowling at an over-rate that allows 90 overs a day, compared to 70 per day - that's almost 30% more deliveries within roughly the same period of time. What they've gained in generally more docile pitches, I would suggest they've lost in terms of how much they have to concentrate... I know bowlers are therefore having to bowl more, and thus maybe are tiring more, but there are normally at least four bowlers to rotate the bowling between, and batsman only get to make one mistake normally.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Matt79 said:
Nice post Burgey.

SS, how much more wearing on a batsman is it to face bowling at an over-rate that allows 90 overs a day, compared to 70 per day - that's almost 30% more deliveries within roughly the same period of time. What they've gained in generally more docile pitches, I would suggest they've lost in terms of how much they have to concentrate... I know bowlers are therefore having to bowl more, and thus maybe are tiring more, but there are normally at least four bowlers to rotate the bowling between, and batsman only get to make one mistake normally.

So ththen what explains the rising averages of bowlers, if it evens out in the end as you say?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It doesn't even out, batsman still have it easier, but you don't dismiss great batsmen in this era immedately.

Matt79

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
So ththen what explains the rising averages of bowlers, if it evens out in the end as you say?
SLIGHTY flatter pitches, better bats, and the cursed boundary ropes (sure, they save a few knees from serious injury, but at what cost people!!!)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Matt79 said:
SLIGHTY flatter pitches, better bats, and the cursed boundary ropes (sure, they save a few knees from serious injury, but at what cost people!!!)

So in the end, you agree that batsman have it easier.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hmmmmmmmm............. I hate it when I get trapped by my own words!

I guess maybe I do. I think what I really object to is the characterisation of bowlers in the 2000s as crap. I don't think they are.

I also think there's an element of unrationality in this frequent argument that is caused by peoples love of Tendaulkar and Lara and their concern that their greatness not be eclipsed by the likes of Dravid and Ponting. I think Tendaulkar and Lara are all-time greats. I don't necessarily think either of them are the best since Bradman however, or that either of them will be held in as quite as high regard a few years after their retirement. Sometimes it feels like some people are casting around for reasons to prove that no matter how good somebody is now, they are as good as Tendaulkar or Lara were, or even Steven Waugh. And ironically Waugh copped the same prejudice when he started eclipsing Border's records.

Last edited: