• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinner for 1986-2006 World XI

Spinner for 1986-2006 World XI

• Mushtaq Ahmed

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Anil Kumble

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Stuart McGill

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Saqlain Mushtaq

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Abdul Qadir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harbhajan Singh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shane Warne

Votes: 42 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
This is now a 5-day “Selection” Poll for the Spinner in the 1986-2006 World XI

The Spinner nominees are:

Mushtaq Ahmed: 52 tests, 185 Wkts @ 32.97, SR 67.7, Econ 2.92 (10 / 3)
Anil Kumble: 110 tests, 533 Wkts @ 28.75, SR 65.5, Econ 2.63 (33 / 8)
Stuart McGill: 40 tests, 198 Wkts @ 27.20, SR 51.6, Econ 3.16 (12 / 2)
Muttiah Muralitharan: 108 tests, 657 Wkts @ 21.96, SR 55.0, Econ 2.39 (56 / 18)
Saqlain Mushtaq: 49 tests, 208 Wkts @ 29.83, SR 67.6, Econ 2.64 (13 / 3)
Abdul Qadir: 31 tests, 113 Wkts @ 30.62, SR 68.4, Econ 2.68 (6 / 3)
Harbhajan Singh: 57 tests, 238 Wkts @ 29.86, SR 63.7, Econ 2.81 (19 / 4)
Shane Warne: 140 tests, 685 Wkts @ 25.25, SR 57.3, Econ 2.64 (36 / 10)

* 1986-2006 stats entry criteria was > 20 tests, Bowling Ave < 35 and SR < 70.0
* There will only be one spinner unless a pace bowling allrounder is voted into the # 6 position

The 1986-2006 World XI so far:

1. Matthew Hayden (LHB): 84 tests, 7326 runs @ 53.08, 26 centuries, 26 fifties
2. Saeed Anwar (LHB): 55 tests, 4052 runs @ 45.52, 11 centuries, 25 fifties
3. Ricky Ponting (RHB): 105 tests, 8792 runs @ 58.22, 31 centuries, 34 fifties
4. Sachin Tendulkar (RHB) ---- (currently Leading # 4 Poll)
5. ……………………
6. ……………………
7. Adam Gilchrist ---- (currently Leading WK Poll)

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Well Murali has best Wkt/test ratio, best average and best economy rate, while McGill has best SR

So I guess I have to justify why I'm picking Warne:

(1) McGill generally only plays on spin friendly tracks that require two spinners to play (thus the better SR);
(2) Murali is part of a much weaker bowling attack, therefore gets more wkt opportunities than Warne who has to share the wkt allocation with McGrath, Gillespie and Lee (this takes care of the wkts/test & average);
(3) I concede the economy rate, however this doesn't win matches

So now I just have to get over his terrible off-field behavior...oh stuff it, I'm voting Murali...

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Voting Murali.
Superior SR, Avg and ER ( not that ER matters that much).

I hope this doens't turn into a Murali VS Warne thread.

aussie tragic

International Captain
R_D said:
Voting Murali.
Superior SR, Avg and ER ( not that ER matters that much).

I hope this doens't turn into a Murali VS Warne thread.
As only a new member, I'm not sure of the past history of Murali vs Warne on this forum, however I would ask for all to just remember that you are playing selector and your job is purely to pick the spinner that will take the most wickets and fits best into the team...let's forget all other issues...:-O whoops, I already brought up Warne's terrible off-field behaviour in an earlier post :) Sorry....

R_D

International Debutant
I'm fairly new here as well i joined up long time ago but only started posting more often lately. I did see a Warne VS Murali thread logn time back and i think it was eventually closed but there was alot of name calling etc if i remember correctly.
Hope this doesn't go the same anyway...
sorry if i'm already take it bit off topic already.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There was a thread some time back like "What will you do if you are facing Warne" I think an equally valid and perhaps even more difficult question to answer would be if Warne's name was replaced by Murali's.

Its sad that we think a team of the last 20 years can not include both the bowlers who would be amongst the first two from the modern era to be in line of being called the greatest of their ilk.

I cant imagine any side in the world, which has both these bowlers available, which would drop either of them.

Being asked to still chose between them, I asked myself, who would I find more difficult to survive against and I thought I might have a better chance of lasting a few more deliveries against Warne than I would against Murali :) Hence I voted Murali.

PS : I have strong opinions about the doosra and the action that goes into delivering that ball but for such polls we must only go by whats accepted by those who make the laws and run the game.

aussie tragic

International Captain
SJS said:
Its sad that we think a team of the last 20 years can not include both the bowlers who would be amongst the first two from the modern era to be in line of being called the greatest of their ilk.

I cant imagine any side in the world, which has both these bowlers available, which would drop either of them.
You could make a similair statement about Warne and McGill both playing for Australia...but don't worry, if a pace bowling allrounder gets in at # 6, we get to have two spinners (I don't think we'll need another Poll though) :)

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has to be Warne, no matter how brilliant Murali is there is always that little bit of doubt.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Warne for me.

Great as Murali is, its my opinion that if the stats say Murali is the better bowler, that is proof that stats never tell the whole story.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why can't we just choose the best bowlers rather than just one spinner? Murali & Warne would both make a 86-06 XI.