• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinner for 1986-2006 World XI

Spinner for 1986-2006 World XI

• Mushtaq Ahmed

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Anil Kumble

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Stuart McGill

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Saqlain Mushtaq

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Abdul Qadir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harbhajan Singh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shane Warne

Votes: 42 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm Aussie and I voted for Warne here, but Tendaulkar at 4 over Border, and Richards at 5 over Waugh. I think I'm voting based on merit, not nationality. (I missed the #3 vote, but probably would have wanted to pick somebody who played the majority of their tests in that position, which might have counted against Sachin and BC)

I'll vote for Murali for the four bowlers spot if we have a pace bowling all-rounder.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Beleg said:
Yeah, the current voting pattern reflects the nationalities pretty closely. It's hard to look past Muralitharan though, probably the second great sportsman of all time.
oh dear... stop making excuses. If this was the case wouldn't the whole team be made up of Englishman and Aussies... FFS...

Another surprising thing to come out've this is the fact that Kumble isn't getting any votes at all!!! I remember a few weeks ago I got attacked for suggesting that Kumble wasn't in the same league as Warne and Murali... This poll suggests he isn't.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slats4ever said:
oh dear... stop making excuses. If this was the case wouldn't the whole team be made up of Englishman and Aussies... FFS...

Another surprising thing to come out've this is the fact that Kumble isn't getting any votes at all!!! I remember a few weeks ago I got attacked for suggesting that Kumble wasn't in the same league as Warne and Murali... This poll suggests he isn't.
Agreed. Waste Kumble is all class.

Matt79

Global Moderator
"Let's have a poll" they said. "It won't turn into Warne vs Murali Thread XXV" they said. "Democracy will show us the way" they said... :)

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Qadir is maybe a bit stiff too not to get a single vote - I'd have to check his playing dates, maybe he got bracketed out by the timeframe (although few would argue for him ahead of either Warne or Murali i s'pose)

haroon510

International 12th Man
i voted for saqlin mushtaq
my other one would be warn and murli it is hard so i went with my fivrate one and it was saqlin

Beleg

International Regular

Do not be ridiculous. No one is making 'excuses', there is no need to make any excuses, both are two of the world's greatest ever players in their own right. and the choice of Ponting at number three should tell you something about where the loyalties of the voters lie. Democracy is not meritocracy.

Kumble is an excellent bowler but he's not in the same league.

C_C

International Captain
Kumble to Warne/Murali is a bit like Steve Waugh to Lara/Tendy.
If those two wernt around, both Kumble and Tugga would've been considered the best spinner/batsman of their generation. However, they simply lack the sheer skill of the other two in their categories and are 'grit' players who, nonetheless, are absolutely invaluable to their team and would probably walk into any other team.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
C_C said:
Kumble to Warne/Murali is a bit like Steve Waugh to Lara/Tendy.
If those two wernt around, both Kumble and Tugga would've been considered the best spinner/batsman of their generation. However, they simply lack the sheer skill of the other two in their categories and are 'grit' players who, nonetheless, are absolutely invaluable to their team and would probably walk into any other team.
word

mind u i got chastised for saying that a while ago

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
haroon510 said:
i voted for saqlin mushtaq
my other one would be warn and murli it is hard so i went with my fivrate one and it was saqlin
Saqlain would be a very strong candidate if it was just an ODI side.