• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best captain in world cricket

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If you would have to select from the current lot, who and why. Also, how would you rate them against historically top notch captains.

Not sure if Vaughan should be in the discussion or not but I why not include him in the discussion as well. Also, contemporary players who aren't captains any more or missed it might be discussed just to widen it if felt - like say a Jayasuriya. and Warney (I am sure many would feel he would have made a great captain and was a bit unlucky).

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Pratyush said:
If you would have to select from the current lot, who and why. Also, how would you rate them against historically top notch captains.

Not sure if Vaughan should be in the discussion or not but I why not include him in the discussion as well. Also, contemporary players who aren't captains any more or missed it might be discussed just to widen it if felt - like say a Jayasuriya. and Warney (I am sure many would feel he would have made a great captain and was a bit unlucky).
Warne probably sunk his own chances to be fair.

It's a toss-up between fleming and Vaughan really both are highly intelligent captains who know how to get the best out of the players in the team much like Brearley.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ricky "We'll have a bowl mate" Ponting deserves a mention, his captaincy helped England win the Ashes for the first time in 18 years

shortpitched713

International Captain
Jayawardene has been good of late. A lot of people don't seem to be talking about him that much (probably because he's fairly new), but if Sri Lanka keep winning, I think he should deserve some credit. He seems better than Atapattu, more aggresive and more likely to lead from the front.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe not so much for test cricket right now, but I still feel Stephen Fleming is the best ODI captain.

Matt79

Global Moderator
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Ricky "We'll have a bowl mate" Ponting deserves a mention, his captaincy helped England win the Ashes for the first time in 18 years
So wil Ponting ever be able to redeem himself in the eyes of people on this forum for that mistake, or was his performance on that tour of England enough to consign him to 'bad captain' status for ever, regardless of what he may achieve in the future?

I'm not saying that i think he's been a brilliant captain since then, but its a hypothetical...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid & Jayawardene have been impressive in their relatively short Captaincy careers!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matt79 said:
So wil Ponting ever be able to redeem himself in the eyes of people on this forum for that mistake, or was his performance on that tour of England enough to consign him to 'bad captain' status for ever, regardless of what he may achieve in the future?

I'm not saying that i think he's been a brilliant captain since then, but its a hypothetical...
It's more than just one mistake or one tour that has diminished his fan club.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It's more than just one mistake or one tour that has diminished his fan club.
People keep going on and on about Ponting chosing to bowl first at Edgbaston, but i maintain at the time it was not the worst decision. If you want to talk about poor captaincy decisions similar to that what about all the captains over the years who have won the toss & sent Australia in @ the Gabba..

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Vaughan >>> daylight >>> Fleming, Dravid, Jayawardene

Not disputing Vaughan is the best captain but do you think he's that much better than Fleming.
Fleming doesn't have the luxury of calling on a bowling attack comprising Harmison, Jones, Flintoff and Hoggard so obvioulsy his results aren't gpoing to be as good ....but with what he had, I think he did a very good job.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Vaughan >>> daylight >>> Fleming, Dravid, Jayawardene
I have seen nothing from Dravid & Jayawardene so far to say that are better captains than Ponting.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Gajanayake said:
Not disputing Vaughan is the best captain but do you think he's that much better than Fleming.
Fleming doesn't have the luxury of calling on a bowling attack comprising Harmison, Jones, Flintoff and Hoggard so obvioulsy his results aren't gpoing to be as good ....but with what he had, I think he did a very good job.
Note that all of those bowlers have done much better under Vaughan's captaincy. That's what sets him apart - his handling of his players.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
Note that all of those bowlers have done much better under Vaughan's captaincy. That's what sets him apart - his handling of his players.
Under Vaughan's captaincy or Cooley's supervision?

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i think vaughan and flemming rock my socks off. ponting as a captain is a bit've a goose but he doesn't have the best cricket brain!!!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If we exclude Vaughan as a current captain (& I think we must) it has to be Fleming, although he doesn't seem to be quite as dynamic as he used to be.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
People keep going on and on about Ponting chosing to bowl first at Edgbaston, but i maintain at the time it was not the worst decision.
No, the worst decision would've been to concede the game.

That however wasn't an option at the time so thus it was the worst decision he could have made at the time.