Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: Best captain in world cricket

  1. #1
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793

    Best captain in world cricket

    If you would have to select from the current lot, who and why. Also, how would you rate them against historically top notch captains.

    Not sure if Vaughan should be in the discussion or not but I why not include him in the discussion as well. Also, contemporary players who aren't captains any more or missed it might be discussed just to widen it if felt - like say a Jayasuriya. and Warney (I am sure many would feel he would have made a great captain and was a bit unlucky).

  2. #2
    State 12th Man Autobahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    If you would have to select from the current lot, who and why. Also, how would you rate them against historically top notch captains.

    Not sure if Vaughan should be in the discussion or not but I why not include him in the discussion as well. Also, contemporary players who aren't captains any more or missed it might be discussed just to widen it if felt - like say a Jayasuriya. and Warney (I am sure many would feel he would have made a great captain and was a bit unlucky).
    Warne probably sunk his own chances to be fair.

    It's a toss-up between fleming and Vaughan really both are highly intelligent captains who know how to get the best out of the players in the team much like Brearley.

  3. #3
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Vaughany
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  4. #4
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,080
    Ricky "We'll have a bowl mate" Ponting deserves a mention, his captaincy helped England win the Ashes for the first time in 18 years
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.


  5. #5
    International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,220
    Jayawardene has been good of late. A lot of people don't seem to be talking about him that much (probably because he's fairly new), but if Sri Lanka keep winning, I think he should deserve some credit. He seems better than Atapattu, more aggresive and more likely to lead from the front.

  6. #6
    Tim
    Tim is offline
    Cricketer Of The Year Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7,888
    Maybe not so much for test cricket right now, but I still feel Stephen Fleming is the best ODI captain.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Ricky "We'll have a bowl mate" Ponting deserves a mention, his captaincy helped England win the Ashes for the first time in 18 years
    So wil Ponting ever be able to redeem himself in the eyes of people on this forum for that mistake, or was his performance on that tour of England enough to consign him to 'bad captain' status for ever, regardless of what he may achieve in the future?

    I'm not saying that i think he's been a brilliant captain since then, but its a hypothetical...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,030
    Dravid & Jayawardene have been impressive in their relatively short Captaincy careers!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    So wil Ponting ever be able to redeem himself in the eyes of people on this forum for that mistake, or was his performance on that tour of England enough to consign him to 'bad captain' status for ever, regardless of what he may achieve in the future?

    I'm not saying that i think he's been a brilliant captain since then, but its a hypothetical...
    It's more than just one mistake or one tour that has diminished his fan club.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."


  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    It's more than just one mistake or one tour that has diminished his fan club.
    People keep going on and on about Ponting chosing to bowl first at Edgbaston, but i maintain at the time it was not the worst decision. If you want to talk about poor captaincy decisions similar to that what about all the captains over the years who have won the toss & sent Australia in @ the Gabba..

  11. #11
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    Vaughan >>> daylight >>> Fleming, Dravid, Jayawardene

  12. #12
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Delhi (from Colombo though)
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Vaughan >>> daylight >>> Fleming, Dravid, Jayawardene

    Not disputing Vaughan is the best captain but do you think he's that much better than Fleming.
    Fleming doesn't have the luxury of calling on a bowling attack comprising Harmison, Jones, Flintoff and Hoggard so obvioulsy his results aren't gpoing to be as good ....but with what he had, I think he did a very good job.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Vaughan >>> daylight >>> Fleming, Dravid, Jayawardene
    I have seen nothing from Dravid & Jayawardene so far to say that are better captains than Ponting.

  14. #14
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajanayake
    Not disputing Vaughan is the best captain but do you think he's that much better than Fleming.
    Fleming doesn't have the luxury of calling on a bowling attack comprising Harmison, Jones, Flintoff and Hoggard so obvioulsy his results aren't gpoing to be as good ....but with what he had, I think he did a very good job.
    Note that all of those bowlers have done much better under Vaughan's captaincy. That's what sets him apart - his handling of his players.

  15. #15
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Note that all of those bowlers have done much better under Vaughan's captaincy. That's what sets him apart - his handling of his players.
    Under Vaughan's captaincy or Cooley's supervision?
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best Coach in world cricket?
    By AussieDominance in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 28-08-2006, 03:59 PM
  2. 20/Twenty Cricket: A Survey.
    By NZTailender in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:09 PM
  3. Inzamam Blackmailing PCB!!
    By DhonisOnslaught in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24-02-2006, 03:04 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 04:44 PM
  5. Replies: 1876
    Last Post: 23-09-2005, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •