• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South african domestic season.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
Albie was seen as a potentially special ODI cricketer and, unlike Harris, he was seen as a '***y' and exciting cricketer. In fact to many he was seen as the second coming of Zulu. Unfair but true.
Isn't it time they select Morne soon? I mean, with that amount of no-balls he must be a talent

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Does he bat? I'd have Boje above everyone at the moment, but thats obviously not the general consensus.. Bojjie also brings a fantastic work ethic, he's a good fielder and a very good leader (even though he's at most had the vice captaincy post)
Albie Morkel is a fast bowling / hard hitting allrounder. Can take the new ball and be destructive with the bat.

Are you sure you are talking about the right player, as he doent really fit into a debate about spinners?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
Albie Morkel is a fast bowling / hard hitting allrounder. Can take the new ball and be destructive with the bat.

Are you sure you are talking about the right player, as he doent really fit into a debate about spinners?
I meant Paul Harris, I know Morkel doesn't bat :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Isn't it time they select Morne soon? I mean, with that amount of no-balls he must be a talent
If you are talking about Morne Morkel then he is a long way from SA colours. As all our mothers have told us at some point "We all have a special talent" and as you point out his is noballs :) He is thought of pretty highly at Titans though.

You can keep that Morne and Ill choose Morne van Wyk

Soon we will have enough for the 'Battle of the Mornes' :)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jungle Jumbo said:
How far does he have to go before he gets a go in Tests then? One decent season could do it. It's not as if the fact he can't really bat is going to limit his chances either, given the depth SA already have in the batting department.
IIRC the only reason he's come over to England is the fact he's been overlooked recently.

As he's now a Kolpak, not sure if he's allowed to go back is he?

Eirther way I had the fortune to see him on one of his first games for Warwickshire and have to be honest I thought he was rubbish - I'm guessing that was a settling in game though!

brockley

International Captain
Australia has a 2nd division competition but like 8 of the players have to be 23 years or younger,altho it is not a first class competition.
Under the kolpak agreement harris cannot play for south africa and will have to play as an overseas player,louw knew that thats why he changed back to being an overseas player rather than a kolpak player,but doubt louw could ever play for south africa.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
brockley said:
Murray goodwin joins the eastern cape another aussie heads to south africa.
On the face of it, this type of overseas signing doesnt impress me. Not of a high enough level to dominate and on the down side of their career.

However, the Warriors had only 2 players average over 30 with the bat in the Supersport series last year and any help in this regard is needed. Murray will get runs (as long as they drop it short to him) and will probably help a team short on batting and recognisable names.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
On the face of it, this type of overseas signing doesnt impress me. Not of a high enough level to dominate and on the down side of their career.

However, the Warriors had only 2 players average over 30 with the bat in the Supersport series last year and any help in this regard is needed. Murray will get runs (as long as they drop it short to him) and will probably help a team short on batting and recognisable names.
It's alright for you to mulch up to the Titans, but some of us have to support really poor sides, and Goodwin could be a godsend...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For those interested.

Im reliably informed that that Friedel de Wet is currently bowling quicker than Dale Steyn.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bumpity bump.

As the Gauteng/North West Lions are knocked out of the OD tournament (after getting bowled out by Alan Dawson), Friedel de Wet has gone down a level to practise for the SuperSport Series, and is winning the game for North West with 10-97. No-balled a lot, admittedly, but some quality wickets - Jonathan Beukes (been in the FC game 8-10 seasons, played National League cricket for Scotland), Dean Elgar (former national U-19 captain), Petrus Koertzen (veteran of 10 seasons in FC cricket). Brings his FC record to 65 wickets @ 19.72 in 12 games. (!)

Oh, and the WP/Boland Cobras have beaten the EP/Border Warriors in the one-day final. Low-scoring game, Johan Botha bowled a full quota of overs and took two for 20, while Puttick (50), Adam Bacher (41), Vernon Philander (39) and Ashwell Prince (38) all gritted out innings. (Duminy, who batted at three, was bowled by Botha for 12.) However, Cobras SLA Con de Lange took plenty of wickets, including Murray Goodwin (who's had a right dire season so far) for 2, and the Warriors, who at one point needed 53 off 40 balls with six wickets in hand, were bowled out by de Lange, Kleinveldt and Dawson to lose by 18 runs.