• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Australians

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ouch. It's pretty much impossible to compare the two, I'd say. I think it's one of those battles where one will vote for which player one "likes" more.

In statistical terms I'd lean towards Davidson, but Trumper is often mentioned as the best Oz batter before Bradman & as being without equal on the treacherous tracks that abounded in his day.

Ah, sod it, Trumper for pretty much the reason I mentioned in the first paragraph. The tragically early death seals the deal.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Trumper - the stats simply don't capture things like how good his 18 out of an Australian total of 32 against a rampant Wilfred Rhodes on a gluepot of a wicket was. Davidson was an all-time great with the ball, but he did have a fairly ordinary start to his career (not his fault, his captain thought he should try finger-spin rather than pace - what the...?) but in this sort of company, that sort of thing matters.