• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allan Border vs Courtney Walsh

JBH001

International Regular
aussie said:
These are two blokes who even though they weren't in the case of Walsh the most destructive tear-away like so many of the other West Indies bowlers during a great era & Border being a hard-working & not the most elegant Australia have produced played a lot of test cricket for their respective nations with great distinction over long careers.

But how highly would they rate in the history of West Indies & Australian cricket. Would Walsh be rated above Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding, Hall, Roberts, Croft & would Border be rated above Chappell, Ponting, Harvey, McCabe, the Waugh brothers, Hassett, Boon, O'Neil?

What do you think?
Gotta agree that Walsh is way under-rated, especially towards the middle and end of his career where he really stepped up and filled the role of strike bowler and stock bowler.
(his early career was marred statistically in always having to play a supporting role)

WI Bowlers:
Marshall
Roberts
Ambrose
Walsh
Holding
Garner
Hall
Croft

AB is one of the all time greats - and would probably slot in at 5 in my all time Aussie XI.

Aussie Batsman
Greg Chappell
Alan Border
Steve Waugh
Neil Harvey
Ricky Ponting
Stan McCabe
Mark Waugh
David Boon
Norm O'Neill
Lindsay Hasset

The difference is that Border was able to instill a pride and determination in his Australian side - something that still forms the core of the modern Australian side. In Walsh's case he exemplified a pride and determination from the past traditions of WI cricket, but was unable to transfer that in any substantive way to his own WI team.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
JBH001 said:
Aussie Batsman
Greg Chappell
Alan Border
Steve Waugh
Neil Harvey
Ricky Ponting
Stan McCabe
Mark Waugh
David Boon
Norm O'Neill
Lindsay Hasset
Hmm, there was this fella who had a decent average in test cricket, but is missing from this list.

JBH001

International Regular
Who? Oh Him! Yeah....

Doesn't even need to be mentioned, does he? lol!

Seriously though, I was only going by aussie's list, otherwise I certainly would not have had Hassett or O'Neil in there and would have put in McCartney, Trumper, Gregory etc

Matt79

Global Moderator
I know the title of the thread doesn't quite reflect the intent of the thread, but to answer the question it poses anyway - they were probably roughly equivalent in terms of their ability, discipline and durability in their chosen discipline.

But if we reverse the tables - I'd say Border would do a better job of batting against Walsh, than Walsh would batting against AB! :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
shortpitched713 said:
You seem to be holding Walsh's workhorse characterization against him, which is just baffling to me.
Right. Because Andy Roberts wasn't a workhorse, right? 8-)