• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vermuelen's Outburst - where will this all end?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed. Though if you're referring to me you are also right - I'm entitled to spell his name correctly - I think it's "Vermeulen".

Chubb

International Regular
Mark has always had a reputation for a fiery temper. Once, playing for his school in Zimbabwe, he pulled out the stumps and stormed off the field after being given out LBW. He was actually banned from playing after that, but Bill Flower, recognising his talent and believing he was genuinely sorry, got his banned overturned. He has also injured himself punching a dressing room wall in South Africa.

What he did is absolutely inexcusable, but let's please remember if it were not for a tragic injury he was looking like he would come good in international cricket. His penultimate test innings was a hundred against West Indies, and he was not having any discipline problems at that time.

EDIT, and Burgey's right, it is spelt Vermeulen.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I once saw in the nets at Surrey, im very glad i didnt say anything now or i could have been in quite some danger. I think it was Vermeulen anyway it may have been some other poor Zimbabwean batsman

Craig

World Traveller
10 years? Isn't that a bit harsh when he could say rob a bank or kill somebody and get less time for that?

Mister Wright

Craig said:
10 years? Isn't that a bit harsh when he could say rob a bank or kill somebody and get less time for that?
Good point. I think it will be reduced eventually after everything washes over, and Zimbabwe actually need some players who are somewhat competitive. It's a shame for Mark, I really enjoyed watching him bat.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mister Wright said:
Good point. I think it will be reduced eventually after everything washes over, and Zimbabwe actually need some players who are somewhat competitive. It's a shame for Mark, I really enjoyed watching him bat.
I thought Vermeulen was out of the reckoning altogether in Zimbabwe..

Still, very silly boy.. Sounds like the kind of thing i'd do X10

Mister Wright

Langeveldt said:
I thought Vermeulen was out of the reckoning altogether in Zimbabwe..

Still, very silly boy.. Sounds like the kind of thing i'd do X10
I'm not sure on the situation. But it seems as though, players get banned/quit then get invited/come back every couple of months.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
You do realise it's a 10 year ban from the sport and not a 10 year jail sentence? I'm pretty sure if he killed someone and it was in any way connected with cricket he'd be banned for life, along with the criminal charges.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Craig said:

Because if you kill someone in England, your punishment is to banished from cricket! I knew you English were crazy - speaking that *******ized version of English and all (those annoying spellings..humor spelled as humour, what the hell is that?). But thats even crazier than I thought!

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Did Inzy get banned (or fined) for trying to decapitate a fans head (with his bat) in Canada?

Mister Wright

silentstriker said:
Because if you kill someone in England, your punishment is to banished from cricket! I knew you English were crazy - speaking that *******ized version of English and all (those annoying spellings..humor spelled as humour, what the hell is that?). But thats even crazier than I thought!
LOL! This post is a classic. You realise the language is called English because it originated from England right? As Lee Evans (Mousehunt, Something About Mary, The Ladies Man) said at one of his stand up gigs refering to the Americans, "We gave you a language, kindly use it!".

And I'm pretty sure Craig isn't English.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Craig said:
It really sucks when you're late to a thread with a juicy quote like this and everybody's already had a crack at it. All I can say is Craig, don't ever change. ;)

As to the harshness of the penalty, I guess it's the thought of what he might have done with the boundary spike that resulted in the long time period of the ban. It sounds like he went berko once he got home, too. You have to wonder if maybe he's bipolar or something, 'cause it sounds like the sledging he copped from the crowd was pretty G rated.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
PY said:
Looks like this isn't the end of the story either:

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/259624.html

How a Yank can claim we've messed up our language is beyond me.....

Hint : It's called English for a reason.
Probably be reduced by a fair bit on appeal. IIRC didn't Udal cop a ban from some county league or other for manhandling an ump? He didn't get 10 years & that has to be worse that Vermeulen's little hissy fit, indefensible as it is.