• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vermuelen's Outburst - where will this all end?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Actually, I don't really blame the official - I think he made an equation in his mind that he couldn't physically hold Vermuelen back (he was a pretty small guy), and decided the best way to stop him (he had the spike in hand and was moving towards the crowd after already throwing the ball at spectators) was to give him a running tackle and punch him while he was down. FWIW, it worked, too.

I have to admit, I laughed out loud when the official was being manhandled away, and he shook his fist at Vermuelen and yelled in a close-to-****ney "OI BLOODY TOLD YOOO!" :laugh:
close to ****ney? :laugh:

Slow Love™

International Captain
superkingdave said:
close to ****ney? :laugh:
Haha, I knew someone would pick me up on that. Any British accent that doesn't sound like received pronunciation or upper class and that doesn't sound like a yorkshireman sounds ****neyesque to me. :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anil said:
do you know that the word is actually humour in english and it's just the american way of spelling that has changed to humor?

We changed it because your ridiculous pommy way of spelling it was wrong.

Craig

World Traveller
Am not alone in thinking that punching Vermuelen with a cricket bat in hand is not a wise idea when he could swipe it over his head (which I suppose he would claim self-defence) and the official would be a vegetable for the rest f his life or worse?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Am not alone in thinking that punching Vermuelen with a cricket bat in hand is not a wise idea when he could swipe it over his head (which I suppose he would claim self-defence) and the official would be a vegetable for the rest f his life or worse?
Yeah, my sympathy towards the officials concerned has lessened having seen that video.. Okay Vermeulen was chucking his toys everywhere, but that was equivalent to the bouncer who stops a rowdy guy in the pub by forcing him to the ground and punching the hell out of him..

Slow Love™

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Yeah, my sympathy towards the officials concerned has lessened having seen that video.. Okay Vermeulen was chucking his toys everywhere, but that was equivalent to the bouncer who stops a rowdy guy in the pub by forcing him to the ground and punching the hell out of him..
I reckon it was magnificent work, he was just a little old man, about two-thirds the size of Vermeuelen. And I don't think the punches were that hard. Members of the crowd were at real risk, and Vermuelen had clearly completely lost it.

BTW, Craig, I think the guy got his knee on the bat. At least, it looked that way from the footage.