• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vermuelen's Outburst - where will this all end?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Burgey said:
Check this story out - it's extraordinary.

http://wwwc1.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/259501.html

This is the problem with players getting all hot and bothered. It starts with sledging or mild dissent but it can lead to the line being well and truly crossed.

Congratulations to the ECB for the tough stance it took.

Any thoughts?
Actually AFAIK it was the CLL that meted out the punishment and the ECB just comfirmed it.

Some extra on the story from the Oldham Advertiser, seems our Mark got sparked.

"Werneth official Adrian McMahon tried to shepherd him away but was met with a volley of abuse which so incensed him that he punched the player to the ground."

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/s/217/217472_hit_for_six_by_cricket_pro_on_the_rampage.html

there is also an amatuer video of part of the incident but it doesn't show all that much

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My understanding is that he's banned from all ECB sanctioned events for 10 years. I suppose he could bob up somewhere else and have a game.......

Langeveldt

Soutie
superkingdave said:
Actually AFAIK it was the CLL that meted out the punishment and the ECB just comfirmed it.

Some extra on the story from the Oldham Advertiser, seems our Mark got sparked.

"Werneth official Adrian McMahon tried to shepherd him away but was met with a volley of abuse which so incensed him that he punched the player to the ground."

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/s/217/217472_hit_for_six_by_cricket_pro_on_the_rampage.html

there is also an amatuer video of part of the incident but it doesn't show all that much
LOL at him pointing at the camera and then running away

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
silentstriker said:
Because if you kill someone in England, your punishment is to banished from cricket! I knew you English were crazy - speaking that *******ized version of English and all (those annoying spellings..humor spelled as humour, what the hell is that?). But thats even crazier than I thought!
Uh Humour is spelt like that because it's grammatically correct, to write it humor means you should pronounce it Hugh-More (Hugh as in Hugh Grant, and more as in I have never read anything more stupid than saying we were crazy for spelling words in our own language correctly)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Because if you kill someone in England, your punishment is to banished from cricket! I knew you English were crazy - speaking that *******ized version of English and all (those annoying spellings..humor spelled as humour, what the hell is that?). But thats even crazier than I thought!
do you know that the word is actually humour in english and it's just the american way of spelling that has changed to humor?

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
On appeal his sentence has been reduced to a 3 year ban with 2nd and 3rd years suspended.

Which is a lot more reasonable and fair. There knee jerk reaction has been revised which is good for the game.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
On appeal his sentence has been reduced to a 3 year ban with 2nd and 3rd years suspended.

Which is a lot more reasonable and fair. There knee jerk reaction has been revised which is good for the game.
It was always going to happen. I didn't think it would be so soon though. A good decision in the end.

PY

International Coach
If you guys had seen it you wouldn't be saying this.

The full amateur video was shown on Sky Sports News last night and it made several people gasp due to it's severity.

The club official proper went for Vermeulen, lanced him a couple of times after a big takedown. :laugh:

Note - scenes of violence contained in this clip. And quality is crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_gZ3gW9Xg

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
PY said:
If you guys had seen it you wouldn't be saying this.

The full amateur video was shown on Sky Sports News last night and it made several people gasp due to it's severity.

The club official proper went for Vermeulen, lanced him a couple of times after a big takedown. :laugh:

Note - scenes of violence contained in this clip. And quality is crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_gZ3gW9Xg
wow, so the club official has basically assaulted Vermeulen? Vermeulen, although throwing stuff around and ranting, didnt go for the bloke, yet got a total nailing.. Shouldnt the club official be the one with the police investigation?

PY

International Coach
All in fairness, Vermeulen did pick up a boundary post which is basically a metal stake and marched towards the crowd after throwing a cricket ball at someone. And he threw some 'punches' in the melee after him being punched which you can't see.

But yes, it does appear like Vermeulen got the raw end of the deal. You can't have that kind of behaviour on a cricket field for mine. I'd rather he get done for attempted assault and given a thousand hours of community service and make him coach so he can use his talents to repay society.

10 years no, 1 year no. You get more for missing a drugs test.

Oh and Vermeulen was arrested for something which happened at his flat, not on the cricket ground.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That was on the news last night here too. I could understand the official tackling Vermuelen, but then he laid into him with a flurry of punches - what was that going to achieve except make him angrier?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Voltman said:
That was on the news last night here too. I could understand the official tackling Vermuelen, but then he laid into him with a flurry of punches - what was that going to achieve except make him angrier?
And totally eradicate the guys good position in a court of law.. Couldn't quite believe it, no wonder Vermeuelen went mental afterwards..

Slow Love™

International Captain
Actually, I don't really blame the official - I think he made an equation in his mind that he couldn't physically hold Vermuelen back (he was a pretty small guy), and decided the best way to stop him (he had the spike in hand and was moving towards the crowd after already throwing the ball at spectators) was to give him a running tackle and punch him while he was down. FWIW, it worked, too.

I have to admit, I laughed out loud when the official was being manhandled away, and he shook his fist at Vermuelen and yelled in a close-to-****ney "OI BLOODY TOLD YOOO!" :laugh:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
FWIW, the report in the local paper round here implied the official started hitting Vermuelen because of something he said. i.e. he was just trying to restrain him but them Vermuelen verbally abused him and he lamped him