• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Around The World

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As I mentioned in a thread in OT we have a great many of options to where we move next after South Africa.

We have made a very provisional list of 10 places to consider.

As cricket is an important factor, Does anyone have first hand cricket experiences in any of the following?-

- Budapest
- Frankfurt
- Brussels
- Buenos Aries
- Stockholm
- Singapore
- Toronto
- Prague
- Madrid
- Sofia

Cheers in advance for any knowledge given

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Toronto supposedly has a ‘big’ cricket community. Don’t know about the rest.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I think Argentina has a pretty good cricket scene, but it would probably be confined to Buenos Aires. Singapore has some proper clubs, and there is a huge expat community.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
There were reports of a game at Stockholm, played on ice with a matting wicket in -3 degrees. Not exactly first-hand, I suppose. From what I can gather the Swedish cricket scene is pretty dead, although the league is starting to get up and running again.

Malmö has a decent team, but you'd be travelling to Denmark for the away games.

Langeveldt

Soutie
From a pure lifestyle perspective, you can't get a better city than Frankfurt, not in that list anyway.. Fantastic place, and should be big enough to have some cricket going on

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I said I would not be posting on CW ever again but felt as if i should on this thread since I am from Toronto. Yes Toronto does have a very big cricket scene due to the large south asian population here. There are several leagues and teams in Toronto for cricket. Most of the players in the Canadian team play in the Toronto leagues. In some parts of Toronto, especially the ones filled with south asians, playing cricket in the evening is a routine.

For more information you can visit www.cricketstar.net

Hope that helped.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The funny thing is, for a country Im very happy to criticise, Im getting very worried about leaving South Africa. Every important factor in our lives (apart from location and crime) is fulfilled here.

Im hoping that something on that list comes close.

Thanks to those that have given info. If anyone else can add to the info please do, Thanks :)

James

Cricket Web Owner
When I was in Singapore earlier this year, I was shocked after walking past a fairly large park in the center of the city with a cricket match going on.

wow that would have been a shock James i would have been shocked myself saying that about 6 years ago i went to Kuala Lumpur and i drove past a cricket match!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
The funny thing is, for a country Im very happy to criticise, Im getting very worried about leaving South Africa. Every important factor in our lives (apart from location and crime) is fulfilled here.

Im hoping that something on that list comes close.

Thanks to those that have given info. If anyone else can add to the info please do, Thanks :)
Agreed, my gf must be flaming hot for me to have gone back to the UK for a year :laugh:.. I'm very quick to criticize it but there must be something in the air

Do you have to leave SA? Do you want to see more of the world or does the job require that you move on? Even though SA isn't very central, it's served by the best airlines in the world, and you can get to London/Dubai/Perth/Atlanta without changing

Given the choice of those cities you've listed, I'd say the only one that beats Pretoria is Frankfurt..

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Buenos aires has a few clubs, most notably Belgrano.
there are about 6 clubs in Argentina and they play each other weekly I think...
in Brussels i am not aware of a club, but not far off you have Antwerpen of which I do know they got cricket, but Cricket in belgium is largely build around expat communitie while Buenos aires has a mix of Argentinians, Englishman and Australians.