• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest collapses in history

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
After todays event, I am interested to know of other collapses in cricket history (test or odi).

Any time where a team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory, it would qualify.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
After todays event, I am interested to know of other collapses in cricket history (test or odi).

Any time where a team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory, it would qualify.
Mumbai. Your favorite Test.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I guess there have been many, but one that springs to mind is Zim getting rolled over chasing a tiny total to beat the West Indies in a Test a few years ago.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was a mega collapse, but India were hardly cruising to victory. A draw was much more likely than an India win at lunch on day five, although it was admitetdly also more likely than an England win at that point - but then something special happened : I got out of bed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As an Englishman of a certain age I've witnessed quite a few. Ones that immediately leap to mind are Old Trafford in 2001 v Pakistan (201/2 to 261 all out after tea on the final day to lose by 108 runs), Port of Spain in 1994 (46 all out in 19.1 overs chasing 194, having made 328 in the first innings) & Lord's in 2005 v Oz (80 without loss to 180 all out with KP making 64 of the added runs).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Edgbaston 1981 was quite tasty. Chasing 151 to win, Aus reached 87 for 3 before losing their last 7 for 34. :laugh:

Beleg

International Regular
Couple of NZ ones against Pakistan.

Pakistan against Australia at Colombo PSS.

Pakistan against England at Karachi.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Nice. A couple of thoughts about that one.

1. It was a bit rough of the Pakistanis to include their Packer stars when Aus were not picking any of theirs.
2. Given the Sarfraz-induced collapse from 305-3 to 310ao, was this one of the first instances of reverse swing doing some serious damage, although no-one else had a clue about that at the time?

Swervy

International Captain
wpdavid said:
Nice. A couple of thoughts about that one.

1. It was a bit rough of the Pakistanis to include their Packer stars when Aus were not picking any of theirs.
2. Given the Sarfraz-induced collapse from 305-3 to 310ao, was this one of the first instances of reverse swing doing some serious damage, although no-one else had a clue about that at the time?
To be honest I have never ever seen any footage of that collapse, so i dont know if reverse swing did play apart. I remember watching Sarfraz bowl in Australia in about 81, and I dont really remember there being any unexplainable movement through the air. The thing is back then, it was either inswing or outswing. The thing with sarfraz was that he never really seemed fast enough to really get reverse swing going...maybe is action just gave the impression he wasnt fast

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I played in a school game for the U12 B team where we capsized from ~65-3 to 65-8 to a terrible slow bowler. We then bowled them out for 22.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
To be honest I have never ever seen any footage of that collapse, so i dont know if reverse swing did play apart. I remember watching Sarfraz bowl in Australia in about 81, and I dont really remember there being any unexplainable movement through the air. The thing is back then, it was either inswing or outswing. The thing with sarfraz was that he never really seemed fast enough to really get reverse swing going...maybe is action just gave the impression he wasnt fast
I'm only asking because Sarfraz has claimed to have invented the art before passing it on to Imran. I suppose he would have been getting on a bit by the early 80's when you saw him play. Not that 1979 was much before then, tbh. :wacko:

Swervy

International Captain
wpdavid said:
I'm only asking because Sarfraz has claimed to have invented the art before passing it on to Imran. I suppose he would have been getting on a bit by the early 80's when you saw him play. Not that 1979 was much before then, tbh. :wacko:

I am sure I read an article that said that reverse swing was being used way back in the 1940s or something

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There's no mention of the 1940's. But he does categorically state that Sarfraz used reverse swing in the 1979 test that Swervy mentioned.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
My understanding is that reverse swing has always existed - just people didn't know what it was.
Makes sense. Of course, Sarfraz would have been fully aware of it in 1979, even if the Aus reserves had no idea.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
can't remember too many, but a few off my head would be West Indies collapsing for 51 & 63 i believe during the 2000 home series over here & the 47 in Jamaica 2004. Plus the 51 vs Australia in 99.

England had collapsed vs West Indies in Antigua after i believe Thorpe & Hussain had put on a big partnership.

Australia collapsing from 326/3 to 391 all out @ Chennai in 2001