• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest collapses in history

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Makes sense. Of course, Sarfraz would have been fully aware of it in 1979, even if the Aus reserves had no idea.
Wasn’t Sarfraz bowling with the new ball (second) though?

I’m sure I read he just cut up his run up and bowled conventional swing and the odd off cutter.

Swervy

International Captain
wpdavid said:
There's no mention of the 1940's. But he does categorically state that Sarfraz used reverse swing in the 1979 test that Swervy mentioned.
i think it was in Cricketer/Wisden or whatever magazine a couple of years back, I'll try hunt it out

Langeveldt

Soutie
My club collapsed from 57-1 to 58 all out a few years ago.. I was at the other end on 0 not out.. Their bowler took 9-1 and we made front page of the local paper :laugh:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
My club collapsed from 57-1 to 58 all out a few years ago.. I was at the other end on 0 not out.. Their bowler took 9-1 and we made front page of the local paper :laugh:
:mellow:
Wow.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
We had the opposition 2-21 one day, then 4-21 one over later then I took 5 wickets in 5 balls to have them 9-21 before my next over went for 13 as the number 3 who watched the carnage up the other end hit me out of the park. All out for 36 in the end. I was on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald !

....albeit in Column 8 !:)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Wasn’t Sarfraz bowling with the new ball (second) though?

I’m sure I read he just cut up his run up and bowled conventional swing and the odd off cutter.
It's possible that it was the second new ball, although I don't know when that became available in Aus in those days, especially using 8-ball overs. I really don't know, tbh. The author of Pratyush's article said it was reverse swing, although there's no guarantee that the author was correct. Anyone here read any comments by Sarfraz or Imran about the game?

FRAZ

International Captain
English collapses against Pakistan during the 92 series (The time when reverse swing was considered as ball tampering ) ..Plus mini English collapse during the 92 WC final ..

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
GeraintIsMyHero said:
It was a mega collapse, but India were hardly cruising to victory. A draw was much more likely than an India win at lunch on day five, although it was admitetdly also more likely than an England win at that point - but then something special happened : I got out of bed.
Wat abt the other Mumbai test? Australia couldn't chase down a 100 odd with 3 days remaining. Tat was pretty amazing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
honestbharani said:
Wat abt the other Mumbai test? Australia couldn't chase down a 100 odd with 3 days remaining. Tat was pretty amazing.

That pitch was specially ordered from a WWII battlefield.

FRAZ

International Captain
honestbharani said:
I loved that test and have great memories ... A great reminder ..Thanks

R_D

International Debutant
Pakistan's collapse against Aus.
Where Matthew Hayden scored more runs than Pakistani team's both innings score combined.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My favourite day of cricket was at Lords against West Indies when i saw part of all 4 innings. It included West Indies 54.

The great Kingsclere under 15s were all out for 18 chasing 210 in 20 overs. I started the collapse being out for 0 in the first over.

JBH001

International Regular
wpdavid said:
It's possible that it was the second new ball, although I don't know when that became available in Aus in those days, especially using 8-ball overs. I really don't know, tbh. The author of Pratyush's article said it was reverse swing, although there's no guarantee that the author was correct. Anyone here read any comments by Sarfraz or Imran about the game?
I don't know about that game - but I do recall a comment made by Imran in his autobiography about a game vs the WI.
(Dunno when, maybe late 70s) Imran and Sarfraz were bowling with the old ball at the WI batsman who literally had no answer to the swing they - in particular Sarfraz - were getting. The captain Mushtaq Mohammed (?) wanted to take the new ball and Sarfraz was vehemently against it as he wanted to keep the old ball, Imran agreed with him saying that the new ball 'would swing onto the bat' (whatever that means) and that they would lose their advantage. Their captain did not listen to them and changed the ball. They promptly stopped swinging it, lost their advantage and the test, I think.

Imran never states that it was reverse swing, but we can perhaps surmise that it was - he also, in his autobiography, has a huge amount of respect for Sarfraz. I don't know if he ever explicitly stated it anywhere, but the impression I had gotten was that Sarfraz taught Imran about reverse swing, who learned somemore about it and passed it on to Wasim and Waqar who perfected the art. I do not think Sarfraz can take full credit for what was going on - though he may have been the first bowler to consciously try to make the ball reverse swing by working on it in a certain way, though his own lack of pace may have hampered that. As we know - faster bowlers do it better and Sarfraz was a fast medium at best, so if there is any credit for the art perhaps it should go to all 4 Pakistani bowlers.