• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

irish men

steds

Hall of Fame Member
If they're oz/nz/sa players with irish passports they aren't Irishmen. Thread title irrelevent

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Matt Mason @ Worcester has an Irish passport.

& I'm guessing the Irish ODI cap Andre Botha may not be the full 100% Mick either... :p

EDIT: Bloody Norwayenese...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Think Matt Mason @ Worcester has an Irish passport.

& I'm guessing the Irish ODI cap Andre Botha may not be the full 100% Mick either... :p

EDIT: Bloody Norwayenese...
Well, you got his first name right. :)

brockley

International Captain
Paddy i think jack mcnamara has a irish passport,he played in the last world youth cup,could be good for making the irish world cup team in 2007 :p .8-) :cool:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
brockley said:
Paddy i think jack mcnamara has a irish passport,he played in the last world youth cup,could be good for making the irish world cup team in 2007 :p .8-) :cool:
I was actually asked over in Sri Lanka by an Irish official whether I could qualify for Ireland...

He was about 5 generations too late.

brockley

International Captain
Jack classic :laugh: .
Mcnamara is a celtic name tho,could be irish or scottish maybe thats what they thought.
I know agents looking for talented players with either UK,EU passports or kolpak heritage is big business now for sporting agents.
I know from the last youth world cup counties have signed gary balance from zimbabwe side under a kolpak agreement at derbyshire,and the south african under 19 sides' wickie has just signed with somerset.
If you have a brit or Uk passport jack i would milk it seriously,you could end up playing county cricket on a decent wage.And if you make a state side just do what symmo or phil jaques did turn your back on qualifying for england.
BTW i heard on matt mason he was asked to spend so much time in ireland per year,but thought better of it and decided not to qualify for ireland,altho those rules have now changed.
I know shaun heaney who now plays for canada doesn't actually spend much time in canada,before this year i don't think he had actually gone to canada.

brockley

International Captain
Oh and forgot that many of the irish and scotland under 19 players have scored county contracts as well.