Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penetration in bowlers

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar

Penetration in bowlers

With the recent rich vein of shirtfronts infecting our centre squares, penetration - likelihood of taking a wicket - has become a dying art among bowlers of both persuasions. Who's the worst offenders in this category?

For mine:

Brett Dorey
    Brad Williams
    AA
    Ashley Giles
    Kabir Ali
    Liam Plunkett
    Mohammad Sami

Which raises other questions: what is penetration? What is it that makes these bowlers roaring successes at domestic level yet abandons them in their - and their country's - hour of need?

At the same time, why is it that some bowlers can look harmless - the definition of unpenetrativeness - but still take wickets with a steady flow (Giles, Razzaq)?

Discuss.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Plunkett is penetrative he's just expensive with it.

You can probably add Pollock to that list these days, probably lots to add from the weaker Test nations as well.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    Which raises other questions: what is penetration?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Dorey's a harsh call IMO. The guy swings the ball plenty. I'd consider adding Mick Lewis instead.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    I saw Dorey once on the international scene. Wasn't impressed at all. He was gun-barrel straight and was beaten back easily.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 11-09-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I saw Dorey once on the international scene. Wasn't impressed at all. He was gun-barrel straight and was beaten back easily.
    You can't really judge a guy based on him bowling second change on a flat pitch in an ODI. He swung the ball plenty in Bangladesh when he got it first up, and obviously he has a reputation for being one of the best swing bowlers in domestic cricket.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    With the recent rich vein of shirtfronts infecting our centre squares, penetration - likelihood of taking a wicket - has become a dying art among bowlers of both persuasions. Who's the worst offenders in this category?

For mine:

Brett Dorey
    Brad Williams
    AA
    Ashley Giles
    Kabir Ali
    Liam Plunkett
    Mohammad Sami

Which raises other questions: what is penetration? What is it that makes these bowlers roaring successes at domestic level yet abandons them in their - and their country's - hour of need?

At the same time, why is it that some bowlers can look harmless - the definition of unpenetrativeness - but still take wickets with a steady flow (Giles, Razzaq)?

Discuss.
    you could probably add steve harmison to that list as well, whenever he plays on a track that doesnt offer extra/uneven bounce.
    generally in ODIs and occasionally in tests bowlers that bowl accurately take wickets by applying the pressure even if they arent penetrative. Pollock is an example of that when hes playing outside of swinging/seaming conditions.No bowler can really be penetrative in all conditions, which is why Englands pace quartet last summer was such a craze, because each bowler seemed to be suited to different conditions.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    you could probably add steve harmison to that list as well, whenever he plays on a track that doesnt offer extra/uneven bounce.
    generally in ODIs and occasionally in tests bowlers that bowl accurately take wickets by applying the pressure even if they arent penetrative. Pollock is an example of that when hes playing outside of swinging/seaming conditions.No bowler can really be penetrative in all conditions, which is why Englands pace quartet last summer was such a craze, because each bowler seemed to be suited to different conditions.

McGrath seems to take wickets everywhere. His game is based on unerring accuracy. When the ball is swinging, or there is help, he demolishes lineups....but even without much help he does relatively well.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Bit harsh on Plunkers there I fancy. He sprays it around a fair bit, but he does bowl wicket taking deliveries too. He's got height & bounce on his side as well.

I reckon you could add Shane Watson to the list, offers v little in way of movement or bounce.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    McGrath seems to take wickets everywhere. His game is based on unerring accuracy. When the ball is swinging, or there is help, he demolishes lineups....but even without much help he does relatively well.
    he may take wickets everywhere but that doesnt mean that he is penetrative. fact is that you can be accurate in all conditions but that equal penetrating. Mcgrath is penetrating in a lot of conditions but there are plenty of times when hes barely beating the bat, and hes just taking wickets from poor shots after building up the pressure. Not that theres anything wrong in that, its still good bowling but it doesnt make him penetrating.

best thread title ever? I do think so !
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Rana Naved in Tests tends to be a genuinely unpenetrative bowler in Tests. Which makes you think, how the hell does he take so many wickets in ODIs. Its not like hes bowling all 10 overs at the death or anything.

Quality of penetration depends on length, imo...

School Boy/Girl Captain thedarkmullet's Avatar
    Vettori is one that doesn't penetrate but takes wickets(when he actually does) through building up pressure.
    As for the rest of the Kiwis, Bond is the only one that comes to mind as regularly pentrating the bastman's defence if thats how we're defining it. That inswinging yorker of his is lethal.

Depends how deep the batting line-up is really.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information