• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 4 for 1986-2006 (Preliminary Vote)

# 4 Position for 1986-2006 World XI (Preliminary Vote)

• Allan Border

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Martin Crowe

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Daryll Cullinan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aravinda De Silva

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Mahela Jayawardene

• Jacques Kallis

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Younis Khan

• Brian Lara

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Damien Martyn

• Javed Miandad

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Dilip Vengsarkar

• Mark Waugh

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Mohammad Yousuf

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tempted to go for Border, cause I'm hopelessly biased, and I'd go for Sachin, but, pretty much just to annoy certain members, I'm going Kallis. He offers a competent bowling option, and after all, he does average 70 (:-O)

Last edited:

Mister Wright

LongHopCassidy said:
A bit early in the piece, but I think Gilchrist should be nominated for number 6 as well, when we get there.
I'm not sure why. Gilchrist has spent most of his career at 7 and has never spent more than 1 series as a regular number 6 (West Indies 2003).

bagapath

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
I'm not sure why. Gilchrist has spent most of his career at 7 and has never spent more than 1 series as a regular number 6 (West Indies 2003).
yeap. please bear in mind that we do have a minimum criteria to qualify for selction. Gilchrist will not be able to make it for any position other than 7. no 6 is reserved for an all-rounder.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bagapath said:
yeap. please bear in mind that we do have a minimum criteria to qualify for selction. Gilchrist will not be able to make it for any position other than 7. no 6 is reserved for an all-rounder.
In that case dare one suggest that he is classed as an all rounder then, especially looking at the options available and their lack of real suitability to batting 6.

Mister Wright

marc71178 said:
In that case dare one suggest that he is classed as an all rounder then, especially looking at the options available and their lack of real suitability to batting 6.
No. He has been selected in all his test matches as Australia's wicket keeper, so therefore he should go up against all the other keepers of the era. What basis we are using to select the keeper is yet to be determined, whether it be batting skill, keeping ability or both. I don't agree with number 6 being only for an allrounder, but if those are the rules, technically Gilchrist is not classified as an allrounder.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I see Border, Dravid, Kallis and Crowe are fighting it out to see which two go into the final Poll with Lara and Sachin (and thus also go into the # 5 preliminary Poll).

I wish I voted for Border now :(

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Well, I wanted to go for Crowe (a superb batsman) but in the end had to go for Sachin(superber).

One query as regards the records posted at the top - when posting the records of batsman (career and position) who played pre-86 and post-86, are you guys (bagapath and aussietragic) only putting up the post-86 stats?
I certainly hope so, otherwise it would skew judgements etc.

aussie tragic

International Captain
JBH001 said:
Well, I wanted to go for Crowe (a superb batsman) but in the end had to go for Sachin(superber).

One query as regards the records posted at the top - when posting the records of batsman (career and position) who played pre-86 and post-86, are you guys (bagapath and aussietragic) only putting up the post-86 stats?
I certainly hope so, otherwise it would skew judgements etc.
Only 1986-2006 stats are used (otherwise Border would have 10000+ runs at 50+ average).

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
I went for Crowe, mainly out of surprise at how good his figures actually are.
Maybe be a wasted vote but I guess thats democracy for ya.