• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC gone to far!!!!!!!!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes it is pathetic and I'll sign. Imagine what Saqi is feeling, hes said several times before how close he was to Ben and in a tribute to his friend he puts the stickers on his bat and then gets told off. Its pathetic!

Rich2001

International Captain
Hey all

GB contacted me last night to help him to get up an running.

As a result I have created this petition.

http://www.cricketweb.net/worldclubcricket/petition.html

BUT before you click on the above link please read below

The form currently doesn't work, because I need FrontPage Extentions enabled to get this to work, which currently isn't supported, I have contacted James to see if this would be possible... if not does anyone know of a free host that support it that we could host this page on???

I never had to create a petition before so have no idea what one looks like...if anyone does, are there any fields that I should add/remove etc?????

The form has been programmed to e-mail the results back to me and save all the reply's to a file, which I will make avalible to you all when we close the petition.

Also James if you perfer I can send you the complete code for the page, that way all the advertising this gets will come to Cricket Web rather and a hosted site.

I think that's about it, any comments welcome

Richard.

[Edited on 17/10/02 by Rich2001]

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Looks great Rich....when it's up and running let me know and I'll be more than happy to sign it.

WHAT A JOKE!!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only thing I'd say about the petition is that when you reference ICC rules, maybe reference exactly which rule you're referring to?

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
- How does this reach the ICC?

- Anyone knows how to reach this to some British newspaper so they can effectively raise the issue, and point more people to sign the guestbook?

-Does the petition have the endorsement of cricketweb? I couldnt find it in the front page of the site.

- I thought it would be a good idea to also write to the ICC. Can someone pass on addresses/name that are relevant?

- T_C, I didn't find any mention of specific laws in the petition..

-Roy, you're right if you meant that it's that point that the ICC would be concerned about, given their stance. As far as your statement regarding the ICC being correct in their stance goes, I think it's a purely subjective call. Some of us ask the ICC to be more considerate. Our definitions of the word may be different from yours, or someone else's. The ICC can state rules to create problems in several ways, i would imagine. The question is: where does the 'spirit of the game' that they talk about where it comes to players come in to the picture? Think about it, and you can surely figure out that the ICC can easily allow Adam and Saqi to have the sticker on, and still keep out the charities by stating rules- the two scenarios are different. They simply dont choose to. Whether they should or not, is obviously up in the air. The point is: the ICC should also think like a representative body, as opposed to considering themselves an all-important governing body (their 'governance' is yet to be seen.. but that's besides the point) . So they should pay attention when fans say that they believe that they endorse Adam's and Saqi's request strongly, *with full understanding* of ICC's compulsions.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
- T_C, I didn't find any mention of specific laws in the petition..
Yeah, that's my point. For example, the following bits are said in the petition:

However, ICC regulations state only bona fide bat manufacturers' can advertise on the top nine inches of the front and up to 50% of the area of the back of cricket bats used in international matches......

.......Any logo or endorsement has to be cleared with ICC standard protocol.

Exception

The only current area of the bat available is a maximum six square inches on the back of the blade, made available within the last 12 months for players to maximise sponsorship earnings........

I'm just wondering exactly which regulations are being referred to (as in rule number, paragraph number etc.) and I think references to those rules should be in the petition so that people signing it know exactly which rules are being questioned.

I'll see if I can dig them up and actually put my money where my mouth is. :D

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
oh i see...

I think that that's part of the article BBC wrote. It would ofcourse be a good idea to put the correct details in there if it's also mentioned that that wasn't a part of the original article.

If you can dig up the right details, then we could probably put it in without the 'bold' font and in parantheses.. I guess no other changes can be made at this stage since some people have 'signed' it already.

The important thing is : how effective is this petition going to be? That's why I am in favour of following up, considering we initiated this..
It would be nice to have addresses and names from the ICC, so whoever wants to write in to the ICC can.
I will do it over this weekend if i can find the right person to write to!!

[Edited on 25/10/2002 by full_length]

Andre

International Regular
I am fully behind the petition, however, I am unwilling at this point in time to put the Cricket Web name behind it for potential legal reasons.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by full_length
Anyone knows how to reach this to some British newspaper so they can effectively raise the issue, and point more people to sign the guestbook?
We could do this very easily, but we have to be absolutely sure about it - The ICC v CricketWeb.net, you get the picture. (Side Issue - if we do this, then it would make very good sense to make it a Limited Company to ensure Limited Liability [i.e. if the company gets sued your personal finances are fine]).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But are the laws for overseas companies the same as they are for English companies?

It'd be one hell of a way to come to global prominence though, fighting the ICC in the courts!

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Liability for what?
I don't quite understand the concern in here about legal issues (I'm talking about Marc's and Neil's comments).
Can anyone elaborate what dangers you anticipate?

Why is it ICC vs Cricketweb?
I don't see it that way. That's why it's a "petition" to the ICC. It doesn't have to be confrontational at all.

Let me just clarify this:
Cricketweb forums are places where people get together to talk cricket. We have a point of view that's different from the ICC, and we understand the issue pretty well I think. If we stay silent over this, we are basically agreeing with the ICC or haven't got very far at all in community building yet. On the other hand we can let the ICC know what we think. There's nothing confrontational about that.