• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Adam Gilchrist an overrated test batsman ?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Burgey said:
Then why didn't he play for as long?
Politics, attitude and (supposedly) better keeper-batsmen around....
The fact that he hasn't played as many matches as Gilchrist has no bearing on the fact that Mongia was a better wicketkeeper (not a better batsman) than him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dasa said:
Politics, attitude and (supposedly) better keeper-batsmen around....
The fact that he hasn't played as many matches as Gilchrist has no bearing on the fact that Mongia was a better wicketkeeper (not a better batsman) than him.
Was there a perception that the attitude problem was his, or did other players and/ or administrators have an attitude with him? Seems a horrible waste if the latter.

Imo, the fact that Gilly gets picked even though he may not be the most pure gloveman is all the more suggestive of his greatness. Since he's come along, the old mantra of always picking your best 'keeper no matter what seems to have gone by the way side. I mean, Darren Berry was probably a better 'keeper than Gilly when he was at his best for the Vics....

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Burgey said:
Was there a perception that the attitude problem was his, or did other players and/ or administrators have an attitude with him? Seems a horrible waste if the latter.
I think it was more that the attitude problem was his. I recall an incident where he allegedly didn't try to win a game (for what reason, I don't know). I'm not sure of the details though - some other forummers may know more.

Burgey said:
Imo, the fact that Gilly gets picked even though he may not be the most pure gloveman is all the more suggestive of his greatness. Since he's come along, the old mantra of always picking your best 'keeper no matter what seems to have gone by the way side. I mean, Darren Berry was probably a better 'keeper than Gilly when he was at his best for the Vics....
I don't doubt that Gilchrist is great, but I think the idea of picking the better batsman was around before his arrival e.g. Alex Stewart consistently picked ahead of Jack Russell.