Cricket Player Manager
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Is Adam Gilchrist an overrated test batsman ?

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    Then why didn't he play for as long?
    Politics, attitude and (supposedly) better keeper-batsmen around....
    The fact that he hasn't played as many matches as Gilchrist has no bearing on the fact that Mongia was a better wicketkeeper (not a better batsman) than him.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Politics, attitude and (supposedly) better keeper-batsmen around....
    The fact that he hasn't played as many matches as Gilchrist has no bearing on the fact that Mongia was a better wicketkeeper (not a better batsman) than him.
    Was there a perception that the attitude problem was his, or did other players and/ or administrators have an attitude with him? Seems a horrible waste if the latter.

Imo, the fact that Gilly gets picked even though he may not be the most pure gloveman is all the more suggestive of his greatness. Since he's come along, the old mantra of always picking your best 'keeper no matter what seems to have gone by the way side. I mean, Darren Berry was probably a better 'keeper than Gilly when he was at his best for the Vics....
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Was there a perception that the attitude problem was his, or did other players and/ or administrators have an attitude with him? Seems a horrible waste if the latter.
    I think it was more that the attitude problem was his. I recall an incident where he allegedly didn't try to win a game (for what reason, I don't know). I'm not sure of the details though - some other forummers may know more.

Imo, the fact that Gilly gets picked even though he may not be the most pure gloveman is all the more suggestive of his greatness. Since he's come along, the old mantra of always picking your best 'keeper no matter what seems to have gone by the way side. I mean, Darren Berry was probably a better 'keeper than Gilly when he was at his best for the Vics....
    I don't doubt that Gilchrist is great, but I think the idea of picking the better batsman was around before his arrival e.g. Alex Stewart consistently picked ahead of Jack Russell.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information