• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the story with this one, Rob? Obviously its a one day game (Ponting batting at 3, the cap being used), didn't think that they were still being played in whites though at this stage. And the game is in India, yeah? Was it a tri-series? Would have thought that they were out of the whites in India by this stage for ODI cricket.
Notice at 2.05 that Ponting plays the closest thing I've ever seen from him to a classic square cut. Apparently he's had some injury quite early in his career to an elbow, which is why he kind of plays either a back foot drive or that 45 degree lean rather than a full blodded cut shot.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
YouTube - Usman Khawaja 121 v South Australia, 12/12/10 720p HD

Watch it before CA take it down.

First time i've actually seen Uzzy and it's no surprise that he's rated so highly, he oozes talent.
Hard to knock a guy with a big score like that. He is certainly highly rated and the key to being a top player is accepting and overcoming your technical weaknesses rather than completely eliminating them. That said, he plays too much with his hands for my liking. Maybe Im hard to please but that is often a sign of a player that looks electric when in form and going well but struggles taking a step up, and finds it hard to adapt when out of nick or the ball isnt where you think it is. He could be a guy that overcomes this fault as it certainly manifests itself as a strength but technically there wasnt much to be scared about (admitedly Im forming that opinion on a brief highlights package)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah India and Pakistan were still using whites in odi's until 1999, England too up to 1998. It was a tri series with India. All teams adopted coloured ODI clothes from 1999. Pretty weird though for so many teams to take so long to get the deal.
Not entirely correct tbh.

India did have series' throughout the 90s where coloured clothing was used (Titan Cup, Hero Cup etc). I'm not entirely sure of it, but I've heard is that the choice of clothing was generally dictated by the ball that was to be used (red or white) rather than the other way round. If the ODI series was preceded by a Test series, the SG ball was generally persisted with since the touring team (or atleast one of them, in case of tri series') had been familiarised with it already. If it was a standalone ODI series, the white ball and coloured clothing were employed. It helped that the BCCI hadn't gotten round to exploiting the merchandising market at the time, which meant that coloured clothing wasn't seen as a necessity of the shorter format.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Not entirely correct tbh.

India did have series' throughout the 90s where coloured clothing was used (Titan Cup, Hero Cup etc). I'm not entirely sure of it, but I've heard is that the choice of clothing was generally dictated by the ball that was to be used (red or white) rather than the other way round. If the ODI series was preceded by a Test series, the SG ball was generally persisted with since the touring team (or atleast one of them, in case of tri series') had been familiarised with it already. If it was a standalone ODI series, the white ball and coloured clothing were employed. It helped that the BCCI hadn't gotten round to exploiting the merchandising market at the time, which meant that coloured clothing wasn't seen as a necessity of the shorter format.
Yes that is all true too, I guess I meant to say that those countries stopped using whites for good by the end of the 90's, not that they hadnt used coloured clothing before at times.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Anything of Crowe would be awesome except for his 100 in the first game of the WC against Aust & the 91 against Pakistan in the semi There's quite a bit of those two innings on you-tube already. Cheers

smash84

The Tiger King
^ Anything of Crowe would be awesome except for his 100 in the first game of the WC against Aust & the 91 against Pakistan in the semi There's quite a bit of those two innings on you-tube already. Cheers
Yes Rob. Please take this into consideration.

Thanks once again for the Steve Waugh 120. It was awesome. The shots he plays against such quality bowling are just outstanding.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Oh didnt know that, was just editing that 100 vs Australia. :unsure: